PDA

View Full Version : FPV without the aircraft?

1armedmonkey
20th April 2013, 07:09 PM
i am a communications tower technician foreman and i would like to strap a cam to the forehead of one of my minions so i can see for myself what they see! i recently purchased the gopro hero3 black edition and the wireless streaming function barely streams out the door! very disappointed in the claim of 600' range which turns out to be more like 80'! im looking for a range of 1200' or better! any ideas on a fpv system that fits that situation? remember im not concerned with the aircraft portion of a system. any help would be appreciated!

Scotttu
20th April 2013, 07:47 PM
Yep you could do that, I've heard the hero3 is bad for streaming, cuts out etc .

Grab a Hero2, take the plug and battery, I'd go with a 200mw Lawmate transmitter and the receiver with a rubber ducky - no point getting fancy for that short range.

3S battery - say 1800 or 2200 mah
Turnigy Low noise BEC.

Power hte lawmate from the BEC, run video into Lawmate and voila.

1armedmonkey
20th April 2013, 07:58 PM
would that set-up work for 1200+ vertical ft? thanks for your help!

1armedmonkey
20th April 2013, 08:12 PM
nevermind that last post brother! thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

spiked3
21st April 2013, 04:52 AM
Keep in mind antennas have dead zones, each type of antenna can be different - and 'overhead' is the area FPVrs usually like to avoid.

Easy to get around by just not being directly under, or moving antenna orientation around. Just be aware & conscious of it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26440

slowjet
21st April 2013, 12:01 PM
Maybe i'm paranoid, but keep the transmitter away from his head... I know 200mw ain't much but I'm just a little paranoid.

Zeeflyboy
21st April 2013, 12:41 PM
Your mobile phone is higher power than that...

It's non-ionising radiation anyway, so even at significantly higher power levels it'd do little more than warm you up.

1armedmonkey
21st April 2013, 07:17 PM
lol! yeah we work around microwave all the time! not to mention the RF bouncing everywhere,which brings me to the question of an RF filter? would i need one?

slowjet
21st April 2013, 09:17 PM
I know guys.. like I said just a bit paranoid. I use a wired headset on my phone ;)

As for a RF filter, a notch filter would probably be good on the receiver.

Scotttu
21st April 2013, 11:41 PM
You can go straight up but aim the antenna straight up, easy as pie.