PDA

View Full Version : Thank GOD for RTH....

faber
10th April 2013, 08:30 PM
Was flying my TBS Disco this morning to do some tuning on the new T-Motor props (Awesome btw) and was about 1/4 mile out when it went into RTH failsafe on me. This was in my neighborhood so lots of houses and trees. I regained control just after it turned around to go home. When I got it home I discovered that the monopole antenna I recently installed on the dragonlink had fallen off. Dragonlink will apparently easily go a 1/4 mile in low power mode on a quad with NO ANTENNA. Amazing....

postaL
10th April 2013, 08:32 PM
There is a video on youtube where a guy did the same thing (kinda). He forgot to plug it into the rx. Doh!

rstekeur
12th April 2013, 07:13 AM
Years ago, in the days of 72 mhz, I was flying my plane at the field when some one walked up and tapped me on the shoulder and said "You had better put up your antenna" oops!

airtruksrus
12th April 2013, 09:27 AM
Sounds like forgetting to turn on the 1 Watt amp on the FrSky, managed to climb 250 ft before going f/s.

Greg
12th April 2013, 09:47 AM
dont take offense..... but cant fix stupid.

I am an advocate of RTH and it has saved me a few times. Even with the best ground check, sometimes stupid overrides intelligence.

lag1791
12th April 2013, 11:08 AM
Seems that some people are perfect and never make a mistake. :rolleyes:

Greg
12th April 2013, 11:17 AM

We can just say that we never make mistakes....we just like to do live trials of failsafes.

Zeeflyboy
12th April 2013, 11:18 AM
I don't think that's what Greg was saying at all... I suggest you re-read his post

lag1791
12th April 2013, 11:26 AM
I don't think that's what Greg was saying at all... I suggest you re-read his post

Guess I read it wrong! I'm just so use to reading posts with people being overly critical about what is said that I guess I did the same thing.

Guess we all have our "stupid" moments! :-)

Zeeflyboy
12th April 2013, 11:50 AM
Indeed, which was the subject of greg's post ;)

Everybody makes mistakes every now and again, it's always good to have systems in place that will help mitigate those mistakes... Just a couple of weeks ago I went to fly one of my big heli's and mid second flight my telemetry alarm went off alerting me to a low rx pack voltage. I could have sworn I fully charged it but clearly I didn't, and I forgot to check it before flight because I was convinced it was charged.

Important not to rely on them to do so though, as they are also invariably based on a fallible system! Nice when they do save you from a stupid mistake though.

Mochaboy
12th April 2013, 01:05 PM
Did you know cold weather can zap your Tx batteries? (I say that firmly tongue in cheek). Fun start at 1:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-j0RjoapoI

+1 for RTH

nonamerc
12th April 2013, 01:34 PM

I think that some guys are ashamed to talk about it ;) ahah

@mochaboy nice video haha

Greg
12th April 2013, 02:33 PM
lag1791, you made me lol.

Zee... thanks bud.

swillhide
12th April 2013, 02:46 PM
Crashed my Skywalker due to me killing the RTH function by bending the pitot tube.. The plane freaked out and ran for the earth.