PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions about EZ Osd

Dust
20th March 2013, 12:53 AM
I am drawing up a new wire diagram, and im at a standstill due to a question.

Now, im setting up TBS core, EZ Osd, TBS69, and LM2G4 Vtx. At least this is the only part i dont "get" yet.

I thought i did, and ended up sending 12v to my last Vtx (5v) so now it smells like chlorine-ish.

Ok, so let me see where i am at.
1-the current sensor gives power to the OSD via EzBus
2-The OSD does NOT regulate or supply power to either cam or vtx, simply provides a clean pass through.
3- The "Vid in" goes to the cam, the "Vid out" goes to the Vtx
4-The CORE provides protection and smooth (5v/12v) power to the Vtx and Cam

My first question lies in the placement of the OSD module. Does it go inbetween the Cam and Core, or the Core and the VTx?

Cam - OSD - CORE - VTx?
-OR-
Cam - CORE - OSD - VTx?

And the other question I have is about the wires needed to be plugged into the OSD module. I know the EzBus will be attached in full from the Current Sensor. But what wires exactly need to be plugged into the Vid IN and Vid OUT's molex inputs?
There is 5 pins. Pwr/Gnd/Sig/AudL/AudR. Since i am not transmitting audio, that leaves only the Pwr/Gnd/Sig.
Does there need to be all 3 (like a servo), Only 2 needed Gnd/Sig (like esc if using ubec, doesnt transmit power), or just 1, using only the Video wire as the "Video out"?

I know that was a little long winded so let me recap 3 my questions.

Does the OSD module go between the Cam and the Core, *OR* the Core and the Vtx?

Can I use JUST the single Video cable as the Video Out from the OSD to the Vtx?

Does the Vid wire even need to be put into the CORE or can it bypass it entirely?

Twawsi
20th March 2013, 07:52 AM
Post # 7 same setup I have in one rig

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?8849-Schematic&highlight=schematic

Dust
20th March 2013, 12:44 PM
Close enough to my setup to be more than useful. Thanks for sharing! Ive spent the last housr studying that diagram. I find it really interesting how it has been "fixed" by sassen, its def confusing to my eye, but only cause i would never think to hook it up like that, however, i am not expert (quite the opposite) So i totally trust his judgment and will build accordingly.
I cant seem to wrap my head around how it all hooks up into the RX. Ive never seen the wires of the servos hacked and Y'd like that into the harness, so i guess thats what is keeping my mind's eye from "seeing" this, even though my eyeballs are looking right at it.

*edit after another couple hours studying this and working on my re-write up*
So, if i am reading this right, in regards to how this is plugged into the Rx this diagram has
Ch 1) Just the Signal wire for Servo #1
Ch 2)Just the Signal wire for Servo #2
Ch 3)Signal wire from ESC and Power from UBEC and Both #1 & #2 servos
Ch 4) Just Ground wire from UBEC and both #1 & #2 Servos

So assuming that is correct, Ch 1 and Ch 2 are the control surfaces for the wing. Ch 3 would be throttle (as well as being the only thing supplying power to the Rx)
What would Ch 4 be doing? Would it be like how the UBEC would usually be plugged into an open channel but not contorling anything other than feeding power to it, but this was shown, the power is taken care of in the ESC channel.

Am i missing anything?

Twawsi
20th March 2013, 05:11 PM
Dust,

Chan 1 signal wire only for servo
Chan 2 signal wire only for servo
Chan 3 signal wire only, for throttle (it looks confusing from the low res pic)
Chan 4 common + & -

You are correct in that the Chan 4 is similar to a UBEC connection. Hope this helps out.

Dust
20th March 2013, 05:29 PM
Oooh, Ok. Thank you for that simple, but very informative confirmation. :)

I really appreciate your time to clarify. Thanks again.

Twawsi
20th March 2013, 05:57 PM
No sweat, wish you the best of luck and let's us know your rig turns out

Dust
20th March 2013, 06:51 PM
With Sassen's approach to wiring things up, i came up with a diagram that helped me understand and finally "get it" Thanks. Going to post my latest diagram up to hopefully help others as i have been helped. :)

Scotttu
23rd March 2013, 12:37 PM
You can plug a separate BEC into any channel, it will provide power......
I never use the BEC from the ESC so I remove the red wire from the throttle on ch3.....