PDA

View Full Version : Airspace Inside My House

Mtrhd0024
8th February 2013, 11:53 PM
So I've been thinking lately... Is the space within my house, (or any other enclosed structure) considered "Airspace" in the sense that it can be regulated.

The FAA governs airspace from the ground level, all the way to 60,000ft over the United States. But since the space inside my house is contained, I might argue that it is different from the space outside of a structure.

The reason I pose this question is not so much because I'm worried about the FAA or any other governing body punishing me for flying within my house, but because I'm curious about the commercial aspect of FPV within the confines of a building. If I want to fly my quad in my house, and sell the footage, where are the laws to stop me?? What about if the Cathedral up the street wants footage of the inside of their sanctuary, and asks me to film it?

I realize this is somewhat of a silly question, and I'm kinda splitting hairs here, but hey, thats why I'm throwing it out there for discussion.

I know there are no specific FAA regulations that directly discuss this issue, since it never HAS been an issue. You can't fly a Cessna 172 inside of a house... Only now with FPV and UAV becoming widespread, is this even relevant!

So what's the consensus? :cool:

j5coat
9th February 2013, 12:41 PM
read this http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/R42940.pdf. if you go down to US v causby you actually own a certain amount of "air" over your house, so i would think you can fpv over your house or in your house.

IBCrazy
9th February 2013, 02:51 PM
Inside a structure you own is completely unregulated. You can do what you want. Once you go outdoors it gets fuzzy.

-Alex

Flying Monkey
9th February 2013, 08:25 PM
The airspace inside my apartment is controlled by CTL Management :(

...but rules were meant to be broken :D

CaliDave
9th February 2013, 09:12 PM
The benefit of being a home owner! ^ No LOS regulations in my house... but the membership isn't cheap. :P

Flying Monkey
9th February 2013, 09:40 PM
The benefit of being a home owner! ^ No LOS regulations in my house... but the membership is's cheap. :P

I'm guessing you meant to write "isn't cheap" ?

Lol, if they knew half the stuff I'm doing in that apartment they'd have a heart attack! :D

CaliDave
9th February 2013, 09:51 PM
I'm guessing you meant to write "isn't cheap" ?

Lol, if they knew half the stuff I'm doing in that apartment they'd have a heart attack! :D

Haha, oops... yeah, "isn't" :)

Great, now I have like 50 PM's to fly in my house since people think it's a cheap spot to fly. hehe

Flying Monkey
9th February 2013, 09:53 PM
Haha, oops... yeah, "isn't" :)

Great, now I have like 50 PM's to fly in my house since people think it's a cheap spot to fly. hehe

PM sent...

Mtrhd0024
11th February 2013, 03:40 PM
Interesting discussion, CaliDave, I'll be contacting you soon. My house is expensive to fly in, yours is bound to be much less costly! :D

Joe90
30th March 2013, 06:16 AM
Seriously here in Canada as soon as you leave the ground your in canadian airspace. Simple.
Inside any building, and even down a mine is canadian airspace.

Mtrhd0024
1st April 2013, 06:52 PM
Seriously here in Canada as soon as you leave the ground your in canadian airspace. Simple.
Inside any building, and even down a mine is canadian airspace.

Its the same here in the United States... Ground up to 60k ft is considered "US Airspace." I don't know Canadian regulations, but my guess is they were modeled after the US System. I'm just arguing that inside of a structure is actually different because it is contained, and physically separate from everything outside, so current regulations don't apply!

I would guess there's nothing in Canadian regs to differentiate between inside and outside either, but if there is, post it up! :)

Joe90
1st April 2013, 07:26 PM
Exact, no difference between inside and outside.