PDA

View Full Version : CSFPV Mission briefing 002 - Formation Flips

chicken sashimi
17th December 2012, 03:21 PM
Mission 002: Formation Flips

Mission reward: The winning team will win 4 ChickenSashimi T-Shirts of their choice (two per pilot), the CSFPV award of excellence and have their videos posted on the CSFPV Contest page for posterity.
Mission deadline: February 28th 2013

Mission Directives:
This mission requires that two pilots perform a LOOP, Aileron Roll, LOOP sequence in formation (see Fig.1). Visual contact must be maintained throughout the entire aerobatic sequence. Bonus points will be awarded for formation proximity, synchronicity, camera capture (multiple camera angles is a huge plus), general flight skill and style.

Mission Conditions:
-Video from the trailing aircraft, where the lead aircraft is in view throughout the whole sequence must be provided.
-Both aircraft need to execute the full sequence of tricks. (Trailing aircraft is not exempt from aileron roll)
-Pilots are expected to attempt these missions only under SAFE circumstances. Hot dogging in populated spaces or near high traffic areas will be frowned upon.
-Truly spectacular failures may garner free consolation prizes, at the discretion of the judges.

Good luck to all pilots!

[Fig.1]
http://chickensashimi.com/Mission002.png

Hucker
17th December 2012, 04:26 PM
Now placing order for wide angle lens!

Hans
17th December 2012, 04:30 PM
I am going to borrow Ssassens plane and win this. What can possibly go wrong?

chicken sashimi
17th December 2012, 04:48 PM
Well, given the dire consequences of failure in my last mission, I figure I would be easy on you guys and create a mission that doesn't perpetually threathen the aircraft being used.
This mission can be performed 3 or 4 mistakes up and if people are determined enough, multiple attempts can be made within a single sortie.

I know how tough it is to simply find your friend's plane while you're both flying around a field so I know that i'm asking a lot.. but if someone can pull it off, it's going to make for some amazing footage. Team Echelon and Morpheus' crew have both put out some amazing formation flight videos, so it will be interesting to see if they step up to this challenge. :D

Plus there's over two months available to get out there and make multiple attempts.. so hopefully that gives everyone time to contend with the weather and find a clear weekend to fly.

HackNFly
19th December 2012, 02:19 AM
This sounds like a great mission. Formation flying is high on people's want to see list for FPV. Very difficult though. I just ordered a #16 keychain cam I can use to film from behind. I have two nearly identical FPV strykers, just need to find another capable pilot.

chicken sashimi
19th December 2012, 02:30 AM
Sweet.

Yeah matching aircraft will make this Mission a lot easier. My friend and I have matching zephyrs so I might even take a stab at this one myself. I think this mission is definitely more accessible than the last one, so hopefully combined with the extra amount of time given, we'll see a solid turnout.

Now if only the weather would break once in a while, I could actually burn through a couple of these packs i've got sitting here. :|

HackNFly
19th December 2012, 02:34 AM
Only thing is I think it might make things easier if you have unlimited vertical, or a very powerful setup. Gives me an excuse to upgrade my strykers, just not the cash to do so. The loops seem like they will be the hardest part. I'm looking forwards to the entries for this.

chicken sashimi
19th December 2012, 02:38 AM
Yeah.. to be honest man, I'm kinda done with planes that don't have unlimited vertical.

I'm not a Scale pilot.. I don't buy a warbird and fly it around all lazy like to make it look real.. I love watching them rip around the sky at zany speeds and when i'm in the cockpit, there's nothing I hate more than staring at the sky during a climb, only to have the aircraft flop over because it ran out of gusto.

So I pretty much build everything with unlimited vertical in mind nowdays.

CaliDave
19th December 2012, 02:48 AM
So it's not just a loop rather the full loop for both, both roll and then both loop again with no break in the visual?! I can tell you that's going to be hard.

Any points, errr I mean shirts for the full loop? Me and Randy want to try some formation flying. ;)

chicken sashimi
19th December 2012, 03:03 AM
Yep.. you got it dave.

Now keep in mind.. no break in visual can be interpreted in various ways. You might think that means you guys both have to be within a couple feet of each other, but really, with the right lens, you could stay within visual even with a couple meters between aircraft. I think the hard part will be performing a straight loop, without wavering one side or the other... then.. doing it again. lol.

Certainly won't be easy... c'mon, i'm not made of t-shirts here.. but i'm willing to put my money where my mouth is to see some amazing footage! :D

Just like any of my other and most future missions, points could be awarded for valiant efforts. I mean, if i get a dozen submission and the closest one gets a loop, roll and half a loop... I'm not made of stone, that's going to be a pretty epic video already and probably deserving of some kind of reward. :)

If the trailing pilot has a pan-tilt config and can keep an eyeball on their lead plane throughout the loops, that's fair game too. HD is preferred, but a mission fulfilling video in SD trumps a spectacular failure in HD everytime. haha

IBCrazy
20th December 2012, 03:14 PM
I am going to give this a shot this afternoon. I have a friend who is afraid to get on the throtte stick, so we put a monster motor in his airplane. The loop/roll/loop should be easy enough. I plan on doing it 20 feet off the deck or less.

-Alex

HackNFly
20th December 2012, 03:16 PM
Good luck!

Care to elaborate what setups you're using? Just curious what "monster motor" implies.

chicken sashimi
20th December 2012, 03:19 PM
Haha.. 20' up hunh Alex? You're a glutton for punishment.

Are you guys gonna coordinate your flightplan before your attempts? I.e. discuss how you'll be performing the loop, when to throttle up/down etc...

IBCrazy
20th December 2012, 11:07 PM
We got screwed by the weather. Darn rain...

We are flying a pair of 2lb tractor prop airplanes that share the same wing and fins as the Specter. These planes are faster and more maneuverable. i am flying a 2215 motor at 22 Amps at a top speed of 65mph. My friend is flying a 2812 at 41 Amps and a top speed of 80mph.

We have flown a lot lately, but the basics are the leader alerts the follower of the manuever just before he executes the move. Once on the sticks, you hld the position and do not waver. This makes it easier to follow, but you need to make the first move very precisely. The problem is Bond Jr likes to back off the throttle which leads me to overtake him or ram his tail.

-Alex

chicken sashimi
20th December 2012, 11:17 PM
maybe if you take point, he will be more inclined to throttle up in order to keep up. Or make a deal to go WOT until the top apex, then zero out the throttle for the way back down. Try to accommodate his style perhaps?

JBeloncik
21st December 2012, 11:58 AM
Alex,
I'm only 3 hours North...just sayin'

terabyte
21st December 2012, 01:40 PM
subscribed... grabbing poppycorn...

IBCrazy
22nd December 2012, 06:08 PM
JBeloncik, maybe I will stop by on my way back home from Pittsburgh if my girlfriend will let me ;)

-Alex

JBeloncik
22nd December 2012, 07:32 PM
JBeloncik, maybe I will stop by on my way back home from Pittsburgh if my girlfriend will let me ;)

-Alex

You should man! Just give me a bit I notice though. I got a new job and don't have any vacation time so I am working all week except for Xmas day!

CaliDave
29th December 2012, 12:11 AM
Alright, our first attempt (I didn't see a limit!):

https://vimeo.com/56450209

As we figured, this is quite challenging, and I need new batteries! Mine are sagging at the high amps needed so Randy shared one with me. I realize the last loop isn't a total success but about the best sequence of them we had. The loops are much harder than the rolls, and we've added the OSD mic so others can see what you're up against.:cool:

HackNFly
29th December 2012, 12:31 AM
Awesome work! Can you share some of the specs on the builds you are flying?

CaliDave
29th December 2012, 01:49 AM
We're flying a pair of Penguins. Randy can detail his, but I'm flying this one:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=101&products_id=1071

However I've since upgraded to this Power Pack which works great... when I have batteries to keep up!:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=101&products_id=1127

Flying a 4s battery, using the GoPro Hero 2 as the flight and record cam, and this pan/tilt system:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19_7&products_id=226

I use the Eagle Tree OSD:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=27

And an older Scherrer v4 tx (no longer sold) and the v6 rx (which has a weird RSSI update that doesn't work with the ETOSD as the v4 rx does, but that's another story, and not an issue for this type of close range flying):
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=38

More info on the Penguin builds I did here:
http://www.groundstationtv.com/Ground_Station_TV/Penguin_Build.html

The ground station recording was captured using this DVR on internal mic mode so you can hear us both flying from my monitor speaker and speaking nearby which I like for flight review and hearing back our level of communication:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_14&products_id=1204

:)

Luke Aventino
29th December 2012, 02:06 AM
Haha Amazing!

HackNFly
29th December 2012, 02:36 AM
Are you making use of a head tracker to be able to tilt the camera while you fly?

CaliDave
29th December 2012, 02:42 AM
Are you making use of a head tracker to be able to tilt the camera while you fly?

Yes. I think that's going to be essential to this contest as it's hard to track a plane leading in the loops like that without one.

HackNFly
29th December 2012, 02:43 AM
I thought so, excellent work on this one!

chicken sashimi
29th December 2012, 03:23 AM
Amazing work guys! Great flying.

I'm gonna have a go at this with my buddy's power matched ZII. Looking forward to seeing more entries!

FPVsam
30th December 2012, 04:40 PM
Have college examinations until February 5th, but will definitely try this with my fpvbuddy!
Nice skills Calidave! I bet you could easily underestimate the hardness of this task, hopefully I won't crash my plane! (should fly with top gun songs to make it look easier, lol)

chicken sashimi
23rd January 2013, 09:33 PM
Pick it up gentlemen.. Just over a month left in this challenge!

Those Echelon boys already have so much FPV Prestige as it is... you're not gonna let them walk away unchallenged with a CSFPV Award of Excellence too, are yas?! :D

CaliDave
23rd January 2013, 09:42 PM
:cool:

FPVsam
23rd January 2013, 09:50 PM
Next week we're gonna give it a try :p

chanyote66
13th February 2013, 01:23 PM
Iv got to wait for some "solo" challenges... my new FPV crew has been only flying two weeks under the goggles... I can follow them but it is about like flying a LOS guy trying to 3d.

chicken sashimi
13th February 2013, 02:01 PM
Yep.. not much time left in this challenge.
I have to remember to try this next time I'm flying with my buddies.

IBCrazy
13th February 2013, 02:32 PM
I admit, I couldn't do this challenge...

-Alex

chicken sashimi
13th February 2013, 02:33 PM
Good on you for trying all the same Alex!

I could imagine it would be especially difficult with the specter... that thing isn't necessarily the most aerobatic bird out there, is it?

chanyote66
13th February 2013, 02:50 PM
everything is aerobatic with the right motor :)
...and some carbon fiber...

CaliDave
17th February 2013, 03:15 AM
Alex... was it that you didn't do it, or couldn't do it? Would love to still see the video if you did try. It's a very challenging mission requiring a pair of capable planes, strong batteries and pilots who can fly tight together. We've been flying tight in formation for a long while now and this was the hardest we've ben up against.

SecretSpy711
28th February 2013, 12:17 PM
Really wanted to take a stab at this one but the weather's been too cold. Guess I'll just have to wait for the next one.

CaliDave
28th February 2013, 12:25 PM
Well, we had another run that was a bit better than the one I posted but I can't for the life of me find it! It was a back pocket move unless someone had something better than what we posted. :)

If I can find it I'll post it!

We'll see what the chicken has to say on the official word.

chicken sashimi
28th February 2013, 04:11 PM
Well usually I like to wait until the 11th hour to announce these things but given the widespread unpopularity of this contest I think it's safe to declare a clear winner! :D

CaliDave along with Team Echelon show us what formation flying is all about and win themselves a pile of ChickenSashimiFPV shwag!

http://chickensashimi.com/designGallery/AwardMission002.jpg

Here's their winning video submission.

https://vimeo.com/56450209

Congratulations to Team Echelon! Amazing flying as usual gentlemen! Truly inspiring.
Thanks to all those who attempted this challenge! Stay tuned for the next CSFPV Mission details to be released shortly!

CaliDave
28th February 2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks... it wasn't as clean as we'd like but I'll try to find the other ones we did that was a bit better. This was our most challenging mission and pretty much need new batteries to hold out for all the amps needed on this one. Thanks Mr. Sashimi for the contest! Looking for ward to your others and hope to see more folks jump in on these. :)

Psylokz
16th March 2013, 12:44 AM
Congrats Dave and Team Echelon! Definitely a rough mission here. Kudos to both pilots.

CaliDave
18th March 2013, 01:17 PM
Sweet! Got the shirts today once back to work (I've been on a trip):
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n586/CaliDave/BC27A801-2B77-4A33-869F-2B8292350135-13643-000003E510D62EDD_zps6336a2b1.jpg

We'll get some in the field too. ;)

chicken sashimi
18th March 2013, 01:29 PM
Awesome Dave and Randy! Well deserved!

Don't forget to submit a quick and easy video for the CSFPV Mission #003! All you've gotta do is tell us why you deserve the free apparel and launch an aircraft! Couldn't be any easier!

rsowder
18th March 2013, 01:43 PM
Awesome Dave and Randy! Well deserved!

Don't forget to submit a quick and easy video for the CSFPV Mission #003! All you've gotta do is tell us why you deserve the free apparel and launch an aircraft! Couldn't be any easier!

Thanks for the shirts! And we are certainly up for Mission #003 ;)

Randy

chicken sashimi
18th March 2013, 01:45 PM
Hopefully they're a good fit.
If they feel a bit scratchy, just run em through the wash and you'll be good to go. The SkyCircus shirt I ordered a couple weeks back had me doin' the jitterbug.. but nothing a little fabric softener didn't fix. :D