FPVLAB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Futaba 9Z Service Manual Available - Repair, Upgrade & Service Information

Unofficial Futaba 9Z Service Manual Available - Repair, Upgrade & Service Information

UPDATE for August 2014: Major New Release
    Version 4 of the manual has now been released and is available for download. There are now over 100 pages of information and, as a result of numerous requests, the manual now includes 6 different 9Z LCD button templates to repair or customise your 9 ZAP, WC1 or WC2 LCD buttons now that these Futaba parts are no longer available.

And thanks to all who continue to donate to support this guide - it all helps to keep things going.

OK - I know it's an old radio now but it still rocks and for my money is still one best quality sets around!
    Anyhoo, have fun! QX

----------------------------------------------
    Hi guys,

Thought you might find this useful as I use a 9Z with my FPV setup and I'm sure I'm not the only one

I've just released Version 3 of the Futaba 9Z Unofficial Workshop Manual which can be downloaded from my website through this link.

http://www.jamesandtracy.co.uk/howto/howto.htm

This is a major update over previous versions and now contains over 20 pages of additional information, bringing the document to over 80 pages. Please be aware you'll need a PDF reader compatible with v7 and above to read the document. I've listed the full contents below.

Have fun!

Quincross

--------------------------------CONTENTS UPDATED FOR VERSION 4 (AUG 2014) --------------------------------
    For reference the full list of contents are:

1. Introduction .................................................. .................................................. ........... 9
    1.1. Document Overview .................................................. ......................................... 9
    1.2. Please help support this work .................................................. ........................... 9
    1.3. Disclaimer & Warning! .................................................. ...................................... 9
    1.4. Distribution and Use .................................................. ....................................... 10
    1.5. How to Report Errors and Get the Most Recent Version .................................. 10
    1.6. The Different Futaba 9Z Models .................................................. ..................... 11
    2. How to use this Manual .................................................. ......................................... 14
    2.1. Document Structure .................................................. ........................................ 14
    2.2. Servicing and Upgrade Matrix .................................................. ........................ 15
    2.3. Preparation and Tools .................................................. .................................... 17
    2.3.1. General Tools .................................................. .......................................... 17
    2.3.2. Specific Tools .................................................. .......................................... 18
    2.3.3. Working with Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs) ............................................. 20
    2.3.4. Soldering .................................................. ................................................. 20
    2.3.5. Working with Ribbon Cables .................................................. ................... 20
    2.3.6. Attitude .................................................. .................................................. .. 20
    3. Servicing the 9Z .................................................. .................................................. .. 21
    3.1. User Password .................................................. ............................................... 21
    3.2. 9Z Transmitter Calibration .................................................. .............................. 21
    3.3. Replacing Corner Switches .................................................. ............................ 21
    3.4. Tachometer .................................................. .................................................. ... 22
    3.5. Front face controls, gimbals, and POTs .................................................. ......... 23
    3.5.1. Removing the Throttle Ratchet for Flying Helicopters ............................... 24
    3.5.2. Replacing the Joysticks and Potentiometers (POTS) ................................ 26
    3.5.3. Fixing Potentiometer (POT) Slippage .................................................. ...... 31
    3.5.4. Replacing the 9Z Buzzer .................................................. ......................... 32
    3.6. Replacement of LCD button panels .................................................. ................ 32
    3.7. 35MHz Aerial Replacement and Servicing .................................................. ..... 34
    3.8. Backup (Lithium) Battery .................................................. ................................ 35
    3.9. Cleaning the LCD Screen .................................................. ............................... 38
    3.10. Replacing the LCD Screen .................................................. .......................... 39
    3.11. Servicing the 9Z Transmitter Battery Pack .................................................. .. 40
    3.12. RF Module .................................................. .................................................. . 42
    3.13. Hard Resetting the 9Z Back to Factory Settings ........................................... 43
    4. Upgrading and Tailoring the 9Z .................................................. ............................. 45
    4.1. Adding extra 3 position switches .................................................. .................... 45
    4.2. Tailoring the Reference Plane of Joysticks .................................................. ..... 45
    4.3. Strengthening and Repairing the Joysticks .................................................. .... 46
    4.4. Backlit LCD Display .................................................. ........................................ 48
    4.5. 9Z Mode and Version Change (e.g. ZAP to ZHP) ............................................ 50
    4.6. Upgrading to 2.4GHz and Telemetry .................................................. .............. 51
    4.6.1. IMPORTANT: Antenna positioning for maximum range ............................ 52
    4.6.2. Upgrading to 2.4GHz using the FrSky DHT-U ........................................... 53
    4.6.3. Upgrading to 2.4GHz using the Spektrum DM8 module ........................... 56
    4.7. Cycling and Fast Charging the Transmitter Battery Pack ................................. 57
    4.8. How to Make a 9Z Transmitter Battery Pack .................................................. .. 60
    4.9. Building a DSC Cable for Direct Servo Control ................................................ 61
    4.10. DIY CAMPAC’s and “backing up” model memory to a PC ............................ 62
    4.11. Building a Training Cable for Buddy Boxing .................................................. 63
    4.12. Futaba 10Z upgrade - Adding a 10th Channel to the 9Z ................................ 64
    5. Disassembling and Reassembling the 9Z’s Case .................................................. . 65
    5.1. Stage 1 – Module and Battery .................................................. ........................ 67
    5.2. Stage 2 – Case Back .................................................. ...................................... 67
    5.3. Stage 3 – Case Sides and Corner Switches .................................................. ... 73
    5.4. Stage 4 – LCD Panel .................................................. ...................................... 75
    6. The Futaba Service and Test Menu .................................................. ...................... 81
    6.1. Overview .................................................. .................................................. ....... 81
    6.2. How to Access and Use these Menus on the 9Z .............................................. 81
    6.3. Service Menus (Calibration and Upgrade) .................................................. ...... 83
    6.4. Test Menus (Fault Finding & Checking) .................................................. ......... 84
    APPENDIX A. The (Almost) Universal Service Menu Enabler .................................. 85
    APPENDIX B. Connection Port PIN-OUT Information ............................................... 86
    B.1. 9Z Transmitter Battery Cassette Pin-out Information .............................................. 86
    B.2. Futaba RF Module Pin-out Information .................................................. ................. 86
    B.3. Futaba DSC/Trainer Pin-out Information .................................................. ............... 87
    B.4. CAMPAC Pin-out Information....................................... ........................................... 88
    APPENDIX C. Component Part Numbers .................................................. ................ 89
    APPENDIX D. T9ZAP printable Button panel Patterns .............................................. 91
    APPENDIX E. 9Z Circuit and Wiring Diagrams .................................................. ....... 93
    Last edited by Quincross; 5th August 2014 at 03:14 PM.

I already have your unofficial manual for my 9z and it's great. Thanks for taking the time to put it together

Oh, and welcome to the Lab!
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure; than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Thanks mate - and cheers for the welcome. IToday I realised that I'd been lurking for ages and should really give something back to the forum, hence should probably post the manual. This place and RCG were what got me setup in FPV really (although my setup is pretty bog standard low-entry OTS at present)!

Nothing wrong with that; sometimes a simple setup without all the bells and whistles is the best way to go. Btw, i did notice a couple minor typos in the service manual; when i have a second i'll get you the details. One specific i remember is in your list of pinouts on the various plugs, the numbered list didnt restart at 0 for the 6-pin DIN listing.. so instead of pins 0 - 6 they list as pins 6 - 12 (since the list above it for the module plug pinout used numbers 1 - 5).
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure; than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Hopefully that was in version 1? I hope the majority of the typo's have been corrected in the new version which only hit the streets a few days ago. Mind you, a whole load more have probably been added when I put the new chapters in!

FPV: Yeah...I know, I like it and it does the job, but then you see the bling on the net and you think.....maybe I need to spend $$$....then the reality of your bank balance hits you

Quote Originally Posted by Quincross View Post
    Hopefully that was in version 1? I hope the majority of the typo's have been corrected in the new version which only hit the streets a few days ago. Mind you, a whole load more have probably been added when I put the new chapters in!

FPV: Yeah...I know, I like it and it does the job, but then you see the bling on the net and you think.....maybe I need to spend $$$....then the reality of your bank balance hits you
    It was in a version i downloaded two days ago to update the one i already had... dated july 2012.

I hear ya on the gear. Bank balance always plays a role, and i've got caught up in the 'bling is cool' thing too, only to realize its much simpler with a plane i can just chuck a battery in and fly without having to worry about calibrations, intricate ground setups, and the like. I dont even really usse my antenna tracker much since its just that much more gear to cart to and from the field.

Thanks!

I just bought a 9Z specifically for FPV. Thanks so much for publishing this info.
    Just out of curiosity (and since I am new to Futaba), did you guys make any FPV specific tweaks to the 9Z?

I'm slowly getting my head around how to program it. It seems pretty powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFollies View Post
    Thanks!

I just bought a 9Z specifically for FPV. Thanks so much for publishing this info.
    Just out of curiosity (and since I am new to Futaba), did you guys make any FPV specific tweaks to the 9Z?

I'm slowly getting my head around how to program it. It seems pretty powerful.
    I havent made any fpv specific tweaks yet but i did buy a secondhand tlrs uhf tx that was already prewired to a futaba rf module so i just slap the module in the back of the radio and i've got uhf control. I read somewhere that it might be a good idea to wire the +v pin of the rf module header direct to switched power instead of using the radio's circuit board as those traces may not be able to handle the current of a tlrs in 2W power mode. Works fine on 500mW though.

FPV & 9Z: Nothing specific in terms of setup beyond the norm - conditions are useful and I have one norm & 3 FPV conditions one of which rotates the cam with the rudder/ailerons, the other is a kind of 'panic' condition. I've mostly messed with getting the pass-through on the FrSky module working.

9Z Manual: Ahhhhh! You're right it's b****! well done it again!!! I hate Word and it's number lists, I put that right so many times....Ah well prepare to see V3R5 in the next few days to correct that error....again!

Quote Originally Posted by Quincross View Post
    FPV & 9Z: Nothing specific in terms of setup beyond the norm - conditions are useful and I have one norm & 3 FPV conditions one of which rotates the cam with the rudder/ailerons, the other is a kind of 'panic' condition. I've mostly messed with getting the pass-through on the FrSky module working.

9Z Manual: Ahhhhh! You're right it's b****! well done it again!!! I hate Word and it's number lists, I put that right so many times....Ah well prepare to see V3R5 in the next few days to correct that error....again!
    No worries, mistakes happen especially with those damn numbered lists. The manual's still great, just passing along proofreading stuff.

I'm still setting up my 9z w/ my airframes, but its kinda tricky because i flew with a dx8 before, and the channels dont match up. The rx on my twinstar is buried in the fuse so i cant move channels around on the rx - going to have to do it all on the radio.

+ Reply to Thread