+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: H-Quad Build

H-Quad Build

I decided to build an H-Quad with parts that I had on my tricopter. It was built using the Flitetest plans and a few minor substitutions. Mainly I used bass wood for everything, put the ESCs on the booms (didn't want to solder longer wires on them), drilled holes in the top plate for wire pass throughs and battery straps.

Flitetest build Video
    Flitetest review Video

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0577.jpg
Views:	2509
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	12536Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0579.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	12537Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0580.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	12538Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	12539Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0584.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	12540

About my build:
    Frame
    - 4x 1/2" x 1/2" x 24" basswood sticks
    - 2x 3/32" x 4" x 24" basswood sheet
    - 10x screws that come with servoes... hold bottom plate onto frame.

Electronics
    - 4x DT750s
    - 4x HK SS 18amp ESCs
    - 1x KK2.0 board
    - 1x AR7000 Spectrum reciever
    - 1x 3s1p 4000mAh 20c battery
    - 1x GoPro Camera w/ case and flat mount

Miscellaneous
    - 5x Male to Male servo leads
    - 4x Gaui 10" props (2x CCW, 2x CW rotation)
    - 4x servo extensions
    - XT60 connector
    - zip-ties (multi-rotors wouldn't exist with out them)

Specifications
    Weight: TBU
    Power: TBU
    Flight time: TBU

A few thoughts about the build:
    1. It is all wood... this makes it easy to make, helps with vibrations, is RF friendly.
    2. The Frame... the "H" configuration is great for getting shots without propellers. It also provides a large space for mounting electronics and FPV gear. Because the bottom plate of the frame is removable, this provides a convenient area for tucking away wires.
    3. because everything is mounted above the bottom plate, landing gear is not necessary, though it may be nice if you fly from tall grass.

Flight Review:
    It flies, since I can't compare it to anything other than my tricopter... I would say that it flies much better than it did. That being said it has the kk2.0 board and the Gaui propellers (pull them from the package and bolt them on... no vibrations in GoPro!). It seems to be very stable, I have reviewed the footage shot from the GoPro and the only time I really notice any vibration was when I was descending from altitude.

About the KK2.0 board:
    I am glad that I watched the few youtube videos that there are... the P and I constants were far to high for the quad. I dropped the I to zero and the P to 50 as my starting points... I ended up with the following values that seem to be working really well:

P=60
    I=15
    limits for both set to 100

I think I need to play around with these more and I also need to figure out the auto level function.

There are a few firsts all happening on this build...
    1. First quad
    2. First time using the KK2.0 board
    3. First time using the Gaui propellers

*TBU = To be updated
    Last edited by Derrick; 15th July 2012 at 08:06 PM.

I'm surprised you don't have vibes in your gopro video... Flitetest had some horrible vibes, and for part of it I'd blame the HK props but also I'm not sure about the H frame. I built a X frame recently and built in two struts, one between the front two motors and one between the rear. The idea was that the gopro would sit on the front strut, and the battery balancing it out on the rear... AND that the struts wouldn't allow the vibes from the motors to flex the arms laterally. It also ended up making the arms MUCH more torsionally stiff! However, after some testing, I found out that the midpoint of the struts had the highest vibration out of the whole frame. With the gopro there, it was horrible. Strapped the gopro to one of the arms, just past the end of the prop and it was significantly better... moved it further in towards the hub and even better. The vibes were the least right at the hub/CG. I pretty much had figured that an H would have a similar problem until I saw this!

I ended up adding a basswood stick (the whole frame is 1/2" square basswood) going fore and aft for the gopro and battery. Discovered that I needed to double up the stiffness so now there's two basswood sticks (for 1" tall x 1/2" wide) to eliminate the vibes. I just cut off the struts and will retest it tomorrow to see if that makes it worse (won't make it better, just lighter) and see how important the struts are.

Glad to see another KK2 user! I'm freakin loving mine... I have flashed esc's though so the stock settings worked nicely and its SO stable and responsive. FYI, if you play around with stick scaling (for flips) take it up slowly and have plenty of room... It doesn't take much for it to become crazy fast in pitch/roll!
    "You can't take the sky from me"

OK... I got out to give it some real flying, well flying from my comfort level. The biggest issue that I had was one of those props that I thought would be awesome, it broke in flight! I did a little google searching and it seems that this is a common occurrence... needless to say I need to find a new prop that is balanced out of the box. Any suggestions? I have tried APC, though once called the best they seem to have lost their quality control and no longer are balanced. I hear Graupner are the best... but they also cost a lot. Do they play nice with the DT750s?

View this video on YouTube

Glad to see another KK2 user! I'm freakin loving mine... I have flashed esc's though so the stock settings worked nicely and its SO stable and responsive. FYI, if you play around with stick scaling (for flips) take it up slowly and have plenty of room... It doesn't take much for it to become crazy fast in pitch/roll!
    I love it too, everything from the ease of use and setup to the increased stability over the old KK board, can't complain about the price either. I think that is the next thing to do... I want to flash some ESCs and see how that goes. You can see in the vid that I tried a roll at 2:30... not enough authority to do it with the settings I have now, didn't have much altitude left when it came out.

Yeah, I was gonna say something about those gaui props but you seemed to really like them. I used to be able to balance the apc blade to blade but now it seems its heavy on one side of the hub or the other and that takes a bit more effort to balance. I JUST this week broke down and ordered some Graupners to test, so fricken expensive... but they come with a 8mm shaft hole so I had to get a 8 to 5mm reducer so it'll fit on my prop adapter... you have a 4mm threaded shaft on those dt750's so I'm not sure how you'd mount 'em and keep them centered. I know of a place with 8 to 6mm reducers for fitting to dji motors but nothing else... Maybe you could find a hardware store with an aluminum tubing 8mm outside and 4mm inside, then cut off short sections just under the height of the prop. What a pain...

On the original kk I didn't notice much of a difference with the flashed esc's other than it lost its wobble on descent and that annoying whine (which I had assumed to be the bearings!). With the kk2 and its 400hz output theres a HUGE difference with flashed esc! I think I prefer the KK2 over the OPCC actually... No more running up the stairs, plugging it into my computer, running back down, outside, test and repeat. The LCD rocks. Try the stick scaling for your next flip... it can get crazy fast!

What ESCs are you using... is there a list compiled of the ones that you can flash?

Here is the esc I got... Cheap at $7 too! Sadly, I learned later that this esc's version of firmware by simonk doesn't work well with some motors. They work with mine, but not the pancake motors (nx-4008, etc) The consensus seems to be that RcTimer esc's are the best and can be flashed with the best firmware.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5202&aff=61689

Here's a list of flashable esc.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...BQkZZRlE#gid=0

And here's the thread on how to do it.
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678

If you can flash a KK board then you can do this. For me the hardest thing was making the... oh, whatever this is...

Oh and you need a current limited power supply to avoid frying the esc, 4 AA batteries fit the bill!

I found and read through this thread... not sure about the baby thing though:

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....-punch-babies&

It seems that the Carbon Nylon may be a good solution to Gaui Props not workign out.

Yeah I've used those Gemfan props for a while and never had one break in flight. They seem a bit noisier and are on average 5% less efficient and less thrust than apc but its not noticeable in flight. And they're a LOT cheaper than apc or graupner. They do take a bit more to balance IMO than apc... they're hubs are always off weight. Have never tried the carbon version though so maybe its more balanced. Oh, and they are a LOT lighter than apc, 8 grams for a 10x4.7 I think.

OK... the new props look like they will arrive for some flying this weekend, I will be receiving these...

http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/pro...roducts_id=989

http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/pro...roducts_id=990

Carbon filled, I hope this makes them less likely to fail... anyone have any experience here? My plan is to pull them from the package and bolt them on... I will report back on how they work. If there seems to be vibration I will go back and balance them but I want to avoid this if I can.
    Last edited by Derrick; 19th July 2012 at 12:03 PM.

The carbon fill will definately stiffen them up and they shouldn't fail in flight, but they will be more likely to break it they hit something while spinning as carbon is a bit more brittle. If I remember correctly the carbon filled ones have a smaller, thinner hub so it should be less of a problem to balance them, maybe just a piece of tape on the lighter blade.

+ Reply to Thread