I decided to build an H-Quad with parts that I had on my tricopter. It was built using the Flitetest plans and a few minor substitutions. Mainly I used bass wood for everything, put the ESCs on the booms (didn't want to solder longer wires on them), drilled holes in the top plate for wire pass throughs and battery straps.
Flitetest build Video
Flitetest review Video
About my build:
- 4x 1/2" x 1/2" x 24" basswood sticks
- 2x 3/32" x 4" x 24" basswood sheet
- 10x screws that come with servoes... hold bottom plate onto frame.
- 4x DT750s
- 4x HK SS 18amp ESCs
- 1x KK2.0 board
- 1x AR7000 Spectrum reciever
- 1x 3s1p 4000mAh 20c battery
- 1x GoPro Camera w/ case and flat mount
- 5x Male to Male servo leads
- 4x Gaui 10" props (2x CCW, 2x CW rotation)
- 4x servo extensions
- XT60 connector
- zip-ties (multi-rotors wouldn't exist with out them)
Flight time: TBU
A few thoughts about the build:
1. It is all wood... this makes it easy to make, helps with vibrations, is RF friendly.
2. The Frame... the "H" configuration is great for getting shots without propellers. It also provides a large space for mounting electronics and FPV gear. Because the bottom plate of the frame is removable, this provides a convenient area for tucking away wires.
3. because everything is mounted above the bottom plate, landing gear is not necessary, though it may be nice if you fly from tall grass.
It flies, since I can't compare it to anything other than my tricopter... I would say that it flies much better than it did. That being said it has the kk2.0 board and the Gaui propellers (pull them from the package and bolt them on... no vibrations in GoPro!). It seems to be very stable, I have reviewed the footage shot from the GoPro and the only time I really notice any vibration was when I was descending from altitude.
About the KK2.0 board:
I am glad that I watched the few youtube videos that there are... the P and I constants were far to high for the quad. I dropped the I to zero and the P to 50 as my starting points... I ended up with the following values that seem to be working really well:
limits for both set to 100
I think I need to play around with these more and I also need to figure out the auto level function.
There are a few firsts all happening on this build...
1. First quad
2. First time using the KK2.0 board
3. First time using the Gaui propellers
*TBU = To be updated