Page 2789 of 2850 FirstFirst ... 178922892689273927792787278827892790279127992839 ... LastLast
Results 27,881 to 27,890 of 28496

Thread: Checking in from Northeast US

I'm thinking we need to do another organized event (not like the last feat meet) probably at Stephentown maybe in October? Fall foilage and coolish weather.

Who's with me?
    NEF to the P to the V

Ready for some derping after work....

It's a bit over weight at 260g but I'm putting on a smaller VTX and hopefully removing some of the wires. The PIDs definitely need some more tuning as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cptnincompetent View Post
    Oh man, that stinks. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help smooth things out, regardless of any potential impact on fly days. Nobody should need to have a strained relationship with his neighbors because I crashed. I really am sorry about that.

The "good" news is that I have partially figured out why the plane ended up in her yard. A certain degree of brownout (which I've verified on the bench) makes the FrSky RX push the control surfaces to funky but repeatable positions. After a 3-5 second reboot, they return to normal. This is NOT the failsafe position. I think what happened is that the quickly draining battery (haven't figured out root cause there yet) caused this condition. So, even though my approach was lined up straight and level over friendly territory, the brownout sent the control surfaces to roll right and that caused the inverted smoky landing in your neighbor's yard.

The bad news is that I'm not sure there's anything I can do to prevent this in the future aside from changing to a new RC control system.
    Ouch, sorry to hear about the incidents....

As far as the brownouts, how about a capacitor on the rx power rails???
    Rusty
    NEFPV^

Quote Originally Posted by tfmccull View Post
    I'm thinking we need to do another organized event (not like the last feat meet) probably at Stephentown maybe in October? Fall foilage and coolish weather.

Who's with me?
    I am in, if it is the right weekend....., or I have enough time to juggle schedule, just not the weekend of the 22nd.
    Rusty
    NEFPV^

Quote Originally Posted by FPVdude View Post

It's a bit over weight at 260g but I'm putting on a smaller VTX and hopefully removing some of the wires. The PIDs definitely need some more tuning as well.

Looks fun! Using a naze32? Have you tried betaflight firmware?
    youtube.com/user/Appelm1
    NEFPV.com

Quote Originally Posted by appelm View Post
    Looks fun! Using a naze32? Have you tried betaflight firmware?
    It's the Brain flight controller, not the RE1 but the one before that. I've heard it's a little more sensitive to vibration than normal, which is bad because I have it right on the frame. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by FPVdude View Post

What size is that? Looks like a 180 or so. I just built a Robocat 270, working on a Hellbender 122, and just got most of the parts in today to start a Goby 180... Guess I'm hooked on building... Now I just need to learn to fly them!! Lol...
    Phantom 3 Professional
    Phantom 2 Non-Vision, Zenmuse H4-3D, GoPro Hero 4 Black, full FPV
    Crossfire 2 from Thingiverse
    Robocat 270 with FPV
    Current Build: RMRC Hellbender 122

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty105 View Post
    As far as the brownouts, how about a capacitor on the rx power rails???
    I think that would solve the problem on the bench, but I don't think it would solve the problem in flight. The problem in fixed wing flight is a low battery and that's not a transient condition. With quads, it might be a transient because of the punchy nature of multirotor fight - but even then, it would have to be a pretty big cap to solve the problem.
    I'm the guy with the orange tent.
    NE
    FPV^

youtube.com/nefpv
    Captain's Blog : www.nefpv.com/blogs/cptnincompetent

Quote Originally Posted by kenjancef View Post
    What size is that? Looks like a 180 or so. I just built a Robocat 270, working on a Hellbender 122, and just got most of the parts in today to start a Goby 180... Guess I'm hooked on building... Now I just need to learn to fly them!! Lol...
    Haha same... Ugh. The biggest difficulty I've been having is definitely throttle management, I keep either drifting up into the tree branches or down into the ground.

This one is only 146mm diagonal, with 4" props cut to about 3.6".

Checking in from Northeast US

Also, if you have gone to Banggood at all you've probably seen this camera floating around the website:

http://m.banggood.com/600TVL-8_0MP-1...-p-984345.html

I decided to try it out because it's only 9 bucks.
    Findings:
    The colors aren't bad, but somehow it has terrible lens distortion. It feels like flying with drunk goggles. If I yaw to the left, a tree in my goggles will go fast-slow-fast as it moves across the screen. It's not like gopro distortion where the edges are distorted but the central part is ok, that would be flyable. It just is flat out weird.
    The result was that I could fly the quad, but really it just took me for a ride rather than me actually flying it. I've switched to a pz0420 and like it a lot more.

Last edited by FPVdude; 9th June 2016 at 08:05 PM.

Page 2789 of 2850 FirstFirst ... 178922892689273927792787278827892790279127992839 ... LastLast