This is build log of my second bixler/skysurfer and it is my first build log. My initial goal was construct a FPV bixler and integrate eagletree gear into one package without having to glue electronics to the inside of the frame, which I've always felt looked sloppy and prone to in-flight disconnects. As of now, this is my most advanced bird yet and I learned a ton of new stuff. Originally it was intended as a pod type design, but eventually it became build in.
The first thing I did on this project was I looked into the concept of trying to create laser cut parts due to one of my friends having a laser cutter at his office. My idea was that having had several nightmares with the current generation of wooden mount kits it would be nice to try using laser cut acrylic instead. Towards this end I had the parts pictured below manufactured. Conceptually, what I wanted to do was create a removal mount kit so I could change batteries and service the pod.
After two months and many awkward "is it done yet?" calls to my friend. I finally got the laser cut parts. A note to everyone. Holes cut by laser cutters are not always round. This is just the nature of using a somewhat low quality machine.
After that, I attempted a rough install in my bixler hull. It's standing up properly because I press-fit rare earth magnets into the holes on the center, which I had previously designed to be over the canopy magnets.
I proceeded with this design for a few days and then after running into a stalemate situation with the shear volume of eagletree hardware, as picture below illustrates, it became necessary to consider building in, and throwing any hopes of a pod completely out the window. For reference that is two of the units I needed mounted (Data logger and OSD) out of a total of five units (Data Logger, OSD, Receiver, BEC, and Guardian Stabilizer. This would of course cause problems with charging the battery and accessing the data logger, but I figured that these could be dealt with over time.
With the decision made to mount everything on a shelf and abandoning the guts of the bixer to no more tinkering I built a much larger electronics shelf as pictured below. I also discovered that using plastic nuts on the ends of each of the screws that I was using to hold the layers together gave the electronics shelf a great deal more stability.
Completing that task the electronics were then installed. I was forced to make a single violation of my "no cutting the fuselage rule to install a switch because the battery would now have to be glued into the craft.
I also built an bay for the for the ESC and the GPS at the standard positions using the same acrylic. Once you violate the fuselage once it felt easier the next two times. Conceptually the GPS benefits from being a away from any transmission source and the ESC is less likely to overheat and probably more efficient in a constant air flow. I also put in one of the ready made RC bixler/skysurfer motor mounts.
With this complete I dropped in a 11.1V 2200mAH battery and balanced it with respect to the CG then hot glued it into place. In order to facilitate charging I extended the Lipo Battery lead out of the canopy. I also fabricated a cable to to the data logger going out. This would allow me to hook into my USB when on the ground without opening the frame.