+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tricopter Flight Control recommendations

Tricopter Flight Control recommendations

I am only fairly new to the world of RC flying and have built my very first Tricopter using the Delrin kit. Initially, I was running the HK KK board and just recently crashed and burned (literally) video here:

http://youtu.be/Rn0wZajxfBE

Anyway, what's left of the Tricopter is now in pieces as I start to rebuild it.
    What I am trying to do is to find a suitable FC for the Tricopter that gives me auto level and, possibly, a RTH feature. I have been looking around and have no idea what makes a 'good' FC and so forth and I also have no idea whether these will all work with my TX (Spektrum DX6i). I want to be able to use the Tri for FPV and aerial video work eventually.

My budget won't stretch as far as the Wookong, but I am happy to pay for quality.
    So far, I have looked at FC's such as FY21AP, FY31AP, NAZA32, Arducopter, etc, etc

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Ant; 22nd May 2012 at 02:55 AM.

To my knowledge, the Openpilot CC-board is one of the best and affordable out there. Unfortunately their production and distribution is somewhat... well, underpowered at least.

Thanks Hans,
    Yes I have heard a lot of good things about CC but I can't see anywhere that mentions whether it has a RTH feature. After crashing, that is a pretty big thing for me to have - just to get the confidence back.

Navigator
    Wow Ant, I can lose orientation at 20m, let alone 400m. These Tricopters seem to create an optical illusion with their legs, depending which way you look at them. I fly with a KK as well, and have broken almost every component on it multiple times.. 99% of the time it's losing orientation, and then "correcting" in the wrong way.

Having looked at some of the other FC's out there, I'm most attracted to the Openpilot CC-board as well. I wasn't too worried about an RTH feature, I just want the ability if I lose orientation to be able to take my hands of the sticks, and have it come back to a stable position (after that point - I figure I'd be able to work out which way is which again)... which is what the CC FS appears to do in atitude mode. As Hans mentions though, they aren't exactly churning these things out.

I use that. A bit tricky to make work but fly good when you understand!

http://www.aeroquadstore.com/AeroQua.../aqkit-001.htm

Put all I term to 0 for Yaw configuration and power the servo by the bec and there you go!
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

Stole from scotttu

Allright. I have just seen the APM2 back in stock from DIY Drones and have placed my order. I will wait and see if this is as good as it is made out to be, particulalry for a 'newbie' like me.

Just an FYI on the apm2. There aren't a lot of people flying tricopters with it so the firmware development for it is lacking. You might have do spend a lot of time messing with the tuning and programming the firmware. And there will be crashes. Its why I didn't get an apm2.

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/tricopter-apm2-0
    http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/tr...ilization-help
    http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/tricopter-pid-s-help

The Naza has autolevel and I can say it works well, but the wind will still push it along. They're coming out with a GPS for it so I'd assume they're adding RTH, but we'll just wait and see.
    "You can't take the sky from me"

The Naza GPS Will include RTH: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/dji-naza-g...der-p-548.html

Regards

Fer
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da vinci

Wow, did I read that right? $190 just for the gps? So its $420 total? No thanks!

Oh, and I have a OP CC too, but I'm not terribly impressed. Still trying to tune it, but out of the box the KK flys better.
    "You can't take the sky from me"

Hmmmmmmm, thanks Flying Monkey,
    I hope the APM2 is going to be easy enough to set up for a tri. I have been told that, while not a lot of people are using them on a Tri, that the last few updates to firmware have improved things for the tri users. I guess time will tell.

+ Reply to Thread