I took some copper wire from spare electrical 3wire laying around and bent it around my receiver to get the proper shape. I cut out the bay near the leading edge, using some ply as a guide
I didn't want to burn through the hump and used the same shape to make a channel through the foam in the battery bay
I cut some wire to the correct length and made my own servo extension cables
If I had planned it out better, I would have ordered a much shorter rx antenna and put the receiver out at the end of the wing and run my servo cables through some light shielding (some cat6 with the pairs pulled & just the outer braid)... I figure there's probably more issues with RF attenuation across the length of the antenna than issues with EMI across twisted servo cable runs.
Anyhow, I like how clean and precise the gun cuts ... had to pay attention because it could mess me up pretty bad if I slipped. I was using a 140w weller.
Last edited by gitcho; 15th May 2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: badder grammar
I cut the channel for my vtx with a gun & some copper electrical wire bent to the correct depth. The lawmate 1.2ghz 1000mw gets *HOT* without cooling (will overheat even with the heatsink if there's no airflow) ... I have to put a small piece of wood between the connector and vtx so the casing doesn't touch any of the wires -- or they'll definitely melt.
I gave the vtx room on all sides and put a small piece of plywood underneath so it doesn't melt the foam, but not sure how to keep it in place ... was thinking some velcro, but it might not hold when it heats up. Was also thinking some small rare earth magnets on the bottom, but don't know if that will mess up my signal.
I initially picked up some CAT6 STP cable from a local supplier I have an account with, but it was missing foil around the pairs so I opted for a 14' CAT7 SSTP cable from this guy on ebay. It took me a bit to understand how to verify how to properly ground the shielding, but got it figured and tested. Thanks for the idea sentry ... more info on that stuff in his thread ...
I heated a small copper rod to poke a hole through the bay to run the cable under the hump.
I didn't have a big enough copper tube, so I used a CF rod to hollow out the channel enough to get the cable through.
Think I'm all done running cables & cutting channels. I think this would have been harder if I had joined the halves at the beginning, but this is my first build, so who knows ... Going to join the halves next.
Looking good. I like the idea of the cat6 cable I am going to try that on mt next build
Good pictures and info - I'll keep an eye on this thread!
Think it, Build it, Fly it: www.desirerc.com
time for some more updates ... thinking I had most of the channels cut, i taped off the edges and used white gorilla glue for the bottom of the battery bay on one side only, sprayed a few squirts of mist from a water bottle into the channel and inserted the plywood. I waited about an hour for it to firm up so it wouldn't move when pressing into the 2nd half.
I gorilla glued the plywood channel on the 2nd half and then sprayed 3m77 (NOT in the house) ... i waited for prob 2 minutes before pressing the halves together, and didn't get a second chance to peel it apart to make adjustments - the stuff is sticky. I used a flat surface and pushed them together slowly and got it right the first time.
I just used a bar stool with weight on it to pin the plywood overnight and let it set.