FPVLAB

Thread: FPVLR.COM solar FPV plane!

Navigator

FPVLR.COM solar FPV plane!

Hello guys, I am starting this thread to talk about and show the development progress on a solar powered FPV plane that will be made commercially (EPO FOAM) that will be able to break all records for distance, duration altitude straight out of the box.
    The first prototypes will be made of either wood or EPS foam or a combination of the two.

The hardest part will be to apply the solar modules in a consistent way that can be made commercial, as we know solar cells break easily, so encapsulation methods will have to be weighed-in as far as durability etc.

I can start discussing about the planform to be used. From a quick analysis, a platform similar to a x-uav Talon would be best, but the size would be a 2 meter wing with large 35 or 36 cm chord to accomodate all the cells necessary for really useful performance.

We don't want to build just a toy concept that can only fly its own weight on pure solar, but a plane that goes up with at least 4s 20,000 maH of Lithium-Ion pack, capable of 6-8 hours flights at the very least.

Of course the time of the year and the latitude are important factors. Someone in Greenland would not be able to use it effectively if not for a brief period around June-July, while someone in Florida or Texas, or Italy for that matter, would be able to use it from March till October quite effectively.

The other thing to consider is cost, the avionics package can be made with varying degrees of complexity, with the bottom one being a eagletree Vector to a more complex and refined Pixhawk 2 with all kinds of sensors, airspeed, RPM etc. etc. as well as the ability to fly waypoints and change them real time on a laptop or ipad.

Another item that we are making is a special ESC that has high efficiency at low power setting as we know the current ESCs on the market have very low efficiency, sometimes below 50% efficiency with partial throttle settings.

Ideally we can make the platform alone available without any electronics and then offer packages, like photovoltaic cells array, pre-configured avionics package, a high efficiency motor-prop package etc.

Right now it would be nice to hear what platform would be better accepted by the fellow FPV pilots, if a flying wing, or a twin boom plane with a pusher and pulling motor like this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...kymaster-1.jpg
    or better this http://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/...1539.jpg?v=v40

Also a Plank type flying wing with special airfoil and a fuselage will be built. Right now we have 3 platforms being built with same amount of solar power installed to find out which one is most practical, durable, has best efficiency etc.

Any inputs from fellow PFV pilots is really appreciated!
    Tony!
    Last edited by Marcantonio; 2nd December 2017 at 06:01 AM.

Hey Tony,

You might want to check out Daniel from rctestflight on YouTube - he's been working on a similar project for a couple years and has been through a ton with it. His plane is constructed almost entirely out of cells, but I'm not sure that it ever ended up being entirely practical. Anyway, just figured extra information and watching someone else's struggles and mistakes could only help. Good luck!

Scott

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    Hey Tony,

You might want to check out Daniel from rctestflight on YouTube - he's been working on a similar project for a couple years and has been through a ton with it. His plane is constructed almost entirely out of cells, but I'm not sure that it ever ended up being entirely practical. Anyway, just figured extra information and watching someone else's
    struggles and mistakes could only help. Good luck!

Scott

Actually he's not doing things completely right starting from cell count motor/prop combo and encapsulation method... he's behind.... my first successful solar plane was in 2010 , now 7 years have passed with better cells and techniques and electronics.... it can be done well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcantonio View Post
    Actually he's not doing things completely right starting from cell count motor/prop combo and encapsulation method... he's behind.... my first successful solar plane was in 2010 , now 7 years have passed with better cells and techniques and electronics.... it can be done well.
    All good man. I don't know anything about it personally. Just wanted to connect some dots in case it could help. Sounds like you're on top of it. Good luck man! Intrigued to follow along!

Scott

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    All good man. I don't know anything about it personally. Just wanted to connect some dots in case it could help. Sounds like you're on top of it. Good luck man! Intrigued to follow along!

Scott
    actually I was testing the ground to see what planform would be best received by people if a flying wing or a classic planform with classic tail etc.

Flying Wings!!!!

I love flying wings as well. It depends on what people intend to do with them I suppose.

Scott

Navigator
    yes right now we are making prototypes of flying wings , micro wings, and also solar plane, crunching numbers and building prototypes... before going to production we want to be sure we have something exceptionally good.

immersed from the start AtariJoe's Avatar
    Something like a slightly larger "Opterra" would be superb. Has wing area, plus volume in the fuselage for large battery, etc.
    Clean aerodynamics for endurance & soaring, yet also a rugged airframe for dynamic flying if desired. Ease of transport and field readiness would be an improtant factor too (solid wing connectors, see the "Believer").
    -LOSers cry wolf when they see SHEEP
    -Why? ...because I can.