Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 5.8 repeater set up ?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Pond View Post
    Trying to get the "Link Quslity" on the OSD of my Vector.

Made a jumper cable to go between channel 7 of DL and Aux 1 on Vector. On the RC configuration page, I set the Link quality on the serial mapping section to channel 7. On the OSD display page of the vector, what needs to be done to show the Link Quality ?

For RSSI, I checked the Receiver RSSI box and it showed RSSI. Is Link Quality done the same way ?

Thanks

Cary
    I believe it is the same way. I had to enable both in the R/C configuration tab I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by FPVZed View Post
    I believe it is the same way. I had to enable both in the R/C configuration tab I believe.
    Cannot find on the OSD display page of the Vector where to enable Link Quality. Was hoping that it would show up on the OSD when RSSI was enabled.

What is the difference between Llink Quality and RSSI ? Do they both not relate to the strength of the transmitter-receiver bond ? Is one more important than the other ?

Thanks

Cary

Found this in a old post, almost 5 years old. Apparently DL does not have a Link Quality function......go figure. Did read a good summary of the difference between RSSI and Link Quality here.

14th December 2012, 02:21 AM #3

egosession

FPVdicted

He is not asking what works with the core, he is asking what is a better indicator for good reception. And because you talk about RSSI and Link quality I assume that you have an EZUHF system right? Because I dont know of any other system that offers link quality.

So please guys, if you have question, dont hesitate to include all information.

RSSI is used a lot, but I would say link quality gives you a better indicator about you link status than RSSI. If you look at the EZOSD with an EZUHF diversity link, then you often see the both RSSI drop around, but the link quality at the right side is still on 100 or 99 percent. Means the RSSI can drop, but still maintain a good link.

I would go with link quality. This gives you the real status about your rc link. While RSSI just shows you the relative signal strenght. Dont forget to do a range test to make sure that the quality link (or if you choose RSSI) is working properly.

Allthough I think I know what I m talking about, its always a good idea to get second and third opinions!
    Last edited by Cary Pond; 5th December 2017 at 08:02 PM.

cary I not familiar with vector at all but it sounds like you have LQ already. LQ starts at 100% and goes down as packets decrease. that's why it should go to 0% when tx is turned off. the RSSI starts at -0dbm (perfect signal) and increases to like -90dbm as signal decreases and signal strength diminishes. you can watch both as you fly further away. the RSSI will warn you of signal strength loss (-80 to -90) then you need to keep watch on your LQ. as your signal strength weakens you may start to see your LQ drop from 100% then. LQ is most important. you can have weak signal incoming but still maintain a good LQ. depends on the interference in the area I think.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ink-And-Vector
    Last edited by doobie; 5th December 2017 at 09:48 PM.
    flyin HIGH

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    cary I not familiar with vector at all but it sounds like you have LQ already. LQ starts at 100% and goes down as packets decrease. that's why it should go to 0% when tx is turned off. the RSSI starts at -0dbm (perfect signal) and increases to like -90dbm as signal decreases and signal strength diminishes. you can watch both as you fly further away. the RSSI will warn you of signal strength loss (-80 to -90) then you need to keep watch on your LQ. as your signal strength weakens you may start to see your LQ drop from 100% then. LQ is most important. you can have weak signal incoming but still maintain a good LQ. depends on the interference in the area I think.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ink-And-Vector
    What he said... but to simplify it, RSSI is received signal strength indicator meaning how strong of a signal the receiver is seeing.
    Link quality is packets of information received.
    In other words as packets get lost link quality goes down and you start to get glitches.
    Sooo like was said earlier you can have low RSSI but 100% link quality and still be ok.

Understood !! Have RSSI on my Vector OSD. Starts at 100% and doing a range check (walking away from GS, slowly decreases as get further away or turn transmitter from GS. This sounds more like LQ since starts at a higher value and decreases with distance.

As Doobie stated earlier, " LQ starts at 100% and goes down as packets decrease. that's why it should go to 0% when tx is turned off. the RSSI starts at -0dbm (perfect signal) and increases to like -90dbm as signal decreases and signal strength diminishes."

Thanks all for the help. Always wanted to get RSSI and or LQ established on my OSD. Nice to know how far you can fly before gets dangerous !! You guys have been a big help here helping.

Cary

EDIT: Took out for a quick flight, cold and windy. one mile out and 78% RSSI.
    Last edited by Cary Pond; 6th December 2017 at 12:59 PM.

Navigator
    The vector interprets RSSI as percentage. Both my RSSI and LQ read as percentages. Reading some Dragonlink threads from a few years ago says DL only does RSSI.
    Last edited by FPVZed; 7th December 2017 at 01:51 AM. Reason: wrong info...

Yeah, Dragonlink supports LQ only I believe from what we've read. That's good. as LQ is preferred over RSSI ? anyways here's a video of today's flight with LQ installed.

Was windy 10-15 mph winds and cold.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Pond View Post
    Yeah, Dragonlink supports LQ only I believe from what we've read. That's good. as LQ is preferred over RSSI ? anyways here's a video of today's flight with LQ installed.

Was windy 10-15 mph winds and cold.

Sorry I meant RSSI...I edited my previous post. I was in a hurry typing from my phone earlier today.

DL only does RSSI...sorry for the confusion...

Great, Thanks !!! Glad to have it installed on my Vector's OSD. Good for long range flying.

Navigator
    Just found this on a thread dated 2014...Looks like it combines both...

The RSSI on the NextGen firmware is 0 to approx 3.3 volt. It will behave a little different from normal RSSI, as it also takes signal quality and lost packages into account, in case if heavy interference from noise-sources etc. That way RSSI is useful in all environments
    Last edited by FPVZed; 10th December 2017 at 09:43 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast