Thread: Setting up Vector with Taranis and Dragonlink

Setting up Vector with Taranis and Dragonlink

Hey all:

Trying to set up my Vector on my Stratosurfer. Using a Taranis TX, Dragonlink V3 receiver.

Have everything wired up.

I set up the mode switch on channel 5 on the DL. and enabled channel 5 on Taranis on a 3 position switch (SE I believe). It
    successfully shows that it goes to the 3 flight modes I set up on the screen: 2d No Hold -, 2D Hold, and RTH. However
    when I cycle through these flight modes with the plane armed, it does not respond properly. 2D No Hold and 2D Hold, both
    cause the ailerons and elevator to move when tilted in their directions. 2D should not respond - correct ? 2D Hold flight
    surfaces should respond when tilted. RTH does nothing......

Did have this unit previously installed on a VAS Spectre several years ago.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Cary
    Last edited by Cary Pond; 4th October 2017 at 03:34 PM.

2d should absolutely respond. 2d holds it level, but does not hold attitude (nose). The only mode that will not respond is stab off - that is full manual. 2d, 2d hold etc will certainly move with plane movement, to counteract wind and other forces.

Rth will not do anything until vector knows you're in the air and moving, though I'd still be careful with it indoors and powered up. I had one powered up a couple years ago, moved it to a different part of the room and accidentally put it in rth, which immediately throttled up to climb setting. Needless to say, that was eventful. Take the prop off if you're messing around with rth on the ground, though I don't know why you would need to... Good luck.

Scott
    Last edited by Hoss; 4th October 2017 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks Scott for the response. I previously had the vector hooked up to a VAS Spectre several years ago and it flew fine. I took it off after a hard landing and always wanted to get it back on something. Stratosurfer looks good !!!

I will set up one of the modes in the "Stab Off" setting. I want to have this so I have 100% control. The 2nd setting will be 2D Hold, and the 3rd will be RTH. I do have the prop off when setting this up. Have heard too many stories of " Things gone bad" incluiing yours.

Thanks for explaining the 2D function. I'll let you know how it goes.

Am I correct in setting up the RC Configuration page in the traditional mode with the Dragonlink RX and Taranis TX ?

Thanks again

Cary

Yes, you are correct. I usually set up a mode switch, submode switch and gain knob. That way I can do stab off in position one (all switches disengaged), then 2d, then 2d+submode (that activates the next switch). I then set that switch to 2d hold in the up position, loiter in the middle and rth in the down. That way you get 2d (fun flying with stab), 2d+hold (easy hands of flying), loiter (need to take a pee or do something else for a few minutes) and rth (oh shit, I'm lost or I just lost video for some reason). Just be sure that your control surfaces are responding the correct way when you move the plane and in 2d. If you drop a wing and it raises that aileron, you're going to be in a world of immediate hurt as soon as you flip that switch. Be sure it's countering and not going to put you further into movements. Good luck.

Scott

Will set up the way you described, and also check the way the ailerons and elevator move when banked or tilted in 2D mode. If set correctly they should counter the way the plane is tilted, or restore to flat and level.

Thanks for your help again.

Cary

Scott:

Just finished setting up position 1 on the Mode switch to Stab. Off and this did the trick on my having complete control of the control surfaces at all times. Guess I forgot this step when I set it up the first time (2 years ago on the Spectre) and "assumed" 2D would give me this function. 2nd switch is 2D W/Hold, and 3rd is RTH.

Have not programmed the Submode switch or Gain yet. Will fly this configuration and add as become familiar with the characteristics of flight. Waiting for a good day to fly.

Thanks again for the quick assistance

Cary

edit: Just thought of this....When I saw the "Stab Off" mode function, I thought it was referring to the Stabilizer . Now
    know it refers to Stabilization. . Be easy on me......................
    Last edited by Cary Pond; 5th October 2017 at 09:17 AM.

Good deal. And good luck - hope all goes well. Yeah, you can always add features later. Best to keep it as simple as possible till you're comfortable and ready and after you're sure everything works correctly.

Scott