Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Very Hot After Short Flight

Navigator

Battery Very Hot After Short Flight

I have a Starmax F-22 70 mm EDF. It was very under powered with the stock 5-blade fan so I upgraded to a 10-blade fan. Now I notice that after a short flight (3-4 minutes on 2200 maH) the battery is very hot. I've tried a 2200 maH 3-cell and a 2200 maH 4-cell. The 4-cell is a nano tech 45-90c.

Question: Do I need a higher C rated battery? Do I need to change out the 45 amp ESC?

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    With RTF aircraft it is usually a bad idea to exceed the original power system unless you upgrade the whole thing. If the battery is hot, you need a bigger battery, not a higher "C" rating. C ratings are a complete lie anyway.

I would also check the motor to be sure it is not overheating. Upgrading the speed control is probably a good idea as well.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Navigator
    Yes, I'm slowly learning that upgrading an RTF is an effort in futility. Maybe I should just go back to the 5-blade fan and be done with it. There is no easy way to check the motor as it requires breaking the seal on the cable runs and unscrewing the mounts that hold the EDF in place.

On the other hand, you mentioned that a "bigger battery" may be needed. Did you mean more MaH's, or more cells?

More Mah's

More cells would give the motor more voltage and thus it would draw more current/amps... but would probably burn out the esc first

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    C ratings are a complete lie anyway.

-Alex
    How true.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Navigator
    More MaH, but it should occording to your ESC and motor.

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    ... C ratings are a complete lie anyway. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Channel 1 View Post
    How true.

Wayne
    OK you two... now you've got some explaining to do. So what's up with C ratings? I've bought 25C packs and 45C packs and usually there is a definite difference in output. I've also bought expensive GensAce 25C packs that perform better than 45C Zippy's.
    Get me a Crocodile sandwich. And make it snappy.

C ratings absolutely matter. Manufactures may not be honest in setting them, but they matter! I got a 10,000 MaH battery that is only 10C so it is bigger, but not a lot bigger than the 40C, 5000 MaH battery I had been using. Resulting battery is not 2x as big, just a little bigger, and I almost doubled flight time on my 540G. Hmmm,

Quote Originally Posted by aaron_gx View Post
    OK you two... now you've got some explaining to do. So what's up with C ratings? I've bought 25C packs and 45C packs and usually there is a definite difference in output. I've also bought expensive GensAce 25C packs that perform better than 45C Zippy's.
    Real C ratings versus what the manufacturers indicate they are in most all cases quite different, some are a little off many are way off to the point of being a flat out lie.

This is one of the reasons I gave up on buying battery packs and build my own from cells of a known origin and quality.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Channel 1 View Post
    Real C ratings versus what the manufacturers indicate they are in most all cases quite different, some are a little off many are way off to the point of being a flat out lie.

This is one of the reasons I gave up on buying battery packs and build my own from cells of a known origin and quality.
    Excellent. Thank you for the explaination. I assume you build Lion and not lipo packs?
    Get me a Crocodile sandwich. And make it snappy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast