+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New mini-quad with new Vibration Isolation method!

New mini-quad with new Vibration Isolation method!

This is my 2nd gen vibration isolation method with the Sorbothane. The idea here is to hard mount the motors, allow the frame to absorb some of the vibrations, then isolate the FC board and cameras. Went with 3/4" carbon tubes to up the stiffness even more. To help dampen and isolate the FC board and camera the mass of the battery is added. It also helps that the battery is right there where the Sorbothane mount clamps onto the hub so the vibs have to work on the battery before heading out to the camera and fc board. For ease of changing batteries I always prefer to have the battery up top, here it was an added bonus.

So far it works pretty good! This is a fairly small quad and yet it is very stable. I'm actually using 9" props versus the 10" the motors can handle just due to clearance issues. I made the frame from a recycled frame so the 8" arms weren't intentional. Didn't have any 9" apc (or even CW props) so these HK props will have to due until I can make a slightly larger frame. The fpv gear got installed on the end of the tube in front of the battery and I got in some nice fpv flights over the weekend. Couldn't see the slightest vibration! I'm at work now, but I'll add some pics of it with the fpv gear installed tonight.

The critical thing is that the battery HAS to be strapped tightly! If its loose at all then the method doesn't work and it will oscillate. I didn't use velcro under the battery for this very reason, in fact I brushed on some 5 minute epoxy so that its slightly tacky and will keep the battery tight.

Macro shots always make things look dirtier!

Here it is with the fpv gear. Got it nice and consolidated too! For the first test I powered it with that little battery but all flights after that were sharing one battery.

Last edited by Flying Monkey; 25th April 2012 at 10:46 PM.

Navigator
    NICE!!!

showoff
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    showoff
    lol, have you got yours flying yet?

Mind sharing which Sorbothane pads those are and where you buy them? Thanks.

Sure, you can get them at Amazon.com! They come in a 12x12" sheet and you can use scissors to cut down to size.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Here's a more comprehensive guide on sorbothane... http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....olutions-Guide

Navigator
    Looks awesome! Great job. Waiting to see the videos!!!

Ernie

Great DIY frame! It looks good, too. Are you going to add a GoPro? What's the AUW?

Damn this is damn cool lookin!
    youtube.com/user/kevinv033
    vimeo.com/kevinv033

Thanks!

I think the auw was around 32oz with fpv gear. The motor to motor spacing was to close, didn't like using 9" props when 10" give the best flight time and if there was any wind it just wobbled around. So I took it apart and recycled the frame plus a couple other scrap tubes and came up with this...

The other problem with the mini quad vibration mount was that while it was tight in pitch/roll, it did allow a little bit of wiggle in the yaw axis. I doubt it was a big problem as it'd take a bit of force to yaw the battery/camera/receiver frame around. So in this bigger version I made sure it had two sorbothane mounts, now its locked in.

The other thing I should mention is that these prop savers are horrible. The gemfam (green ones) are better than the HK gws style but overall I've come to like the apc slowfly props with a collet style adapter. This reduces vibrations a lot! I still have to try Graupner though. Why am I using prop adapters and hk props on this... cause I've been flying tricopters for the last few months and haven't yet made an order for CW apc props... Got used to running all CCW!

Oh and I was saving up for a GoPro 2 but my car broke down and I had to put $1400 into it... so no gopro for a while...
    Last edited by Flying Monkey; 7th May 2012 at 10:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread