FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here fly FPV Airplane like this?

Navigator

Red face Does anyone here fly FPV Airplane like this?

Does anyone here fly FPV Airplane like this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20637903_2106302486061964_3740012725830076897_n.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	77323

Twin boom pusher is a good way to go, Skyhunter models are the most popular of the lot. If you have the propeller in front of the camera it causes "zebra effect", the propeller disturbs the image some. Tailless pusher planes like the Joker and the Zephyr tend to have issues with staying nice and stable, short tailed planes like the mini-talon work ok but are pretty limited on how much motor weight you can put on the tail, twin motor planes work well at the expense of a small amount of extra weight, low wing pod and boom planes like the Bixler and Raptor have issues with efficiency (the thrust angle is pointed down instead of straight across the wing), high wing pusher pod and boom planes like the Skywalker have issues with efficiency because there is more "pod" hanging out in the breeze. Having two vertical stabilizers is more draggy than one stab, but the Skyhunter style design is pretty primo stuff in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by parajared View Post
    Twin boom pusher is a good way to go, Skyhunter models are the most popular of the lot. If you have the propeller in front of the camera it causes "zebra effect", the propeller disturbs the image some. Tailless pusher planes like the Joker and the Zephyr tend to have issues with staying nice and stable, short tailed planes like the mini-talon work ok but are pretty limited on how much motor weight you can put on the tail, twin motor planes work well at the expense of a small amount of extra weight, low wing pod and boom planes like the Bixler and Raptor have issues with efficiency (the thrust angle is pointed down instead of straight across the wing), high wing pusher pod and boom planes like the Skywalker have issues with efficiency because there is more "pod" hanging out in the breeze. Having two vertical stabilizers is more draggy than one stab, but the Skyhunter style design is pretty primo stuff in my opinion.
    I agree I just picked up a Skyhunter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigator
    wow! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by betty View Post
    wow! Thanks.
    Check out VAS Banshee and Specter, LEG Starburst line too if you want a tough EPP twin boom pushers.
    youtube.com/channel/UCM9fX_ZdQtg2bSl_Y37oiFw

Hitting trees, through the trees.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmhyland View Post
    Check out VAS Banshee and Specter, LEG Starburst line too if you want a tough EPP twin boom pushers.
    I agree. For me, there is nothing like the toughness that comes from laminated and sparred EPP aircraft. They take beatings that no store bought EPO plane can ever dream of. I have some EPO FPV aircraft, yet I wouldn't do half the stuff confidently with them that I do with my EPP flying tanks. The only EPP aircraft (Banshee) I ever lost was not caused from a crash, but due to being left out in the rain for 2 days after getting caught up in a tree.

Navigator
    EPP aircraft VS EPO FPV aircraft,

Quote Originally Posted by Surg View Post
    I agree. For me, there is nothing like the toughness that comes from laminated and sparred EPP aircraft. They take beatings that no store bought EPO plane can ever dream of. I have some EPO FPV aircraft, yet I wouldn't do half the stuff confidently with them that I do with my EPP flying tanks. The only EPP aircraft (Banshee) I ever lost was not caused from a crash, but due to being left out in the rain for 2 days after getting caught up in a tree.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by betty View Post
    EPP aircraft VS EPO FPV aircraft,
    All my EPP aircraft are FPV equipped. Vas, Ritewing, Sweepwings, Crash Test Hobby, Team Legit, TBRC, all make FPV-specific planes made out of EPP foam. If you're going to FPV, you're not doing it right if your plane isn't made of EPP, especially if you like to fly low, fast and want it to last beyond a few crashes. Sparred and laminated EPP foam is nearly indestructible and can take hits that would totally disintegrate an EPO plane of the same size, weight, equipment, etc.
    Last edited by Surg; 30th August 2017 at 05:30 AM.

EPP aircraft VS EPO FPV aircraft
    EPP flexes which you want it to do in a crash but it becomes an issue of weight; you hit a point where no amount of laminate and sparring can keep it as rigid as you want without weighing the plane down too much. EPO is preferable after a certain point at the expense of being a bit "dent-ier" albeit still easy to fix but not something you necessarily can just hot-glue right back together right out there in the field. Hot water is usually involved in my EPO repairs but you gain the extra rigidity needed for your higher performance planes.

EPO flexes which you want it to do in a crash but it becomes an issue of weight; you hit a point where no amount of laminate and sparring can keep it as rigid as you want without weighing the plane down too much. After that you have balsa, carbon fiber, and fiberglass. Personally I haven't found a way to un-dentify a bashed in balsa panel, nor unsplinter a panel, undo a shattered fiberglass impact spot, undo a rip in carbon fiber. Repairs usually involve extracting and replacing the damaged part or filling/glassing over the damaged part. Landing on a fiberglass belly is particularly fiddly, a lot of concentration going into landing the thing as dainty as you can. Soft dirt and rocks straight up wreck fiberglass bellies but the extra rigidity really pays off on the higher performance end of things.

Broadly speaking
    EPP for sub 1300mm flying wings good to about 110mph on the small end and 80mph on the larger end.
    EPO will hold a larger traditional wing rigid until about 130mph, and a medium sized chevron shaped flying wing together to maybe 200 or so before frame flex becomes an issue.
    Balsa maybe then fiberglass and CF for your 170+ mph stuff with skinny long wings like your silver and gold class stuff. Also balsa, CF, or fiberglass for long skinny glider wings. I love my foamy gliders, but a good CF, balsa or glass glider won't "flap" like a foam glider and can withstand DS much better (at the expense of being harder to fix and blowing into a million pieces if you so much as stare at them too harshly)
    Last edited by parajared; 30th August 2017 at 11:38 AM. Reason: mention the parajared death stare

Navigator
    Broadly speaking
    EPP for sub 1300mm flying wings good to about 110mph on the small end and 80mph on the larger end.
    EPO will hold a larger traditional wing rigid until about 130mph, and a medium sized chevron shaped flying wing together to maybe 200 or so before frame flex becomes an issue.
    Balsa maybe then fiberglass and CF for your 170+ mph stuff with skinny long wings like your silver and gold class stuff. Also balsa, CF, or fiberglass for long skinny glider wings. I love my foamy gliders, but a good CF, balsa or glass glider won't "flap" like a foam glider and can withstand DS much better (at the expense of being harder to fix and blowing into a million pieces if you so much as stare at them too harshly)
    I really have no idea where you are getting your information from. EPO being "more rigid" than EPP is absolutely false. Another complete falsehood is regarding your speed and size assumptions. I have a 1500mm TBRC 60" EPP wing that does 115mph+ with zero flex and is capable of 30 mile flights utilizing 3x 4s 5200mah in parallel. I also have a 40inch VAS Wyvern SE that can hit 130mph on 3800mah 4S, again made entirely of EPP foam. Both carry 1.3Vtx and 433 UHF. There are videos of Sweepings 60 inch EPP wings running 12S and pulling 124mph. Here is the video link. https://youtu.be/Cd8bKufRbGQ

Nearly all high performance/high speed discussions on this very forum(FPV Lab) in regards to FPV aircraft revolve around EPP aircraft, from the Ritewing Draks and Ritewing Hardcores to the VAS Chimera. The cruisers and slow flyers, and those built more for duration flying; not meant to take a hit or a hard crash, like the XUAV Clouds and Talon for example, are made strictly of EPO foam.

Again, if you're assuming that EPO is a better and more rigid material over EPP, then you need to re-examine your assumptions, because they're not true. Balsa and CF are not even worth talking about since the discussion then becomes about apples and oranges. However, balsa is as rigid as EPP foam when laminated and sparred, but cannot take damage like EPP foam, and CF is also as rigid and more resilient to damage, yet exponentially more expensive than EPP.
    Last edited by Surg; 30th August 2017 at 01:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast