FPVLAB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting a wing out of foam with no prior knowledge :)

Here's some footage of my 900mm spec wing in flight. No fpv gear fitted yet, that to come next youtu.be/mcw5iJgIQWo

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Navigator
    that flys nice! fortunately those wings are cheap and plentiful over here. I bet you saved a ton on shipping one overseas though.

Navigator
    finally got her up today. Hard to tell much in all the wind but it looks like its going to be a great flyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronski View Post
    that flys nice! fortunately those wings are cheap and plentiful over here. I bet you saved a ton on shipping one overseas though.
    Yeah shipping and then customs charges are a killer. It was a good project for me though as the templates and dimensions were all clear

Using Tapatalk

Yeah shipping and then customs charges are a killer. It was a good project for me though as the templates and dimensions were all clear

Using Tapatalk

finally got her up today. Hard to tell much in all the wind but it looks like its going to be a great flyer.
    Little bit of yaw wobble but as you say looks like it's going to be a good flier!

Using Tapatalk

Navigator
    about 10-15 mph winds in that first vid. I usually don't even bother flying like that but I needed to try it out. The winds here on the coast are often very steady too compared to the choppy gusts you can get inland so its really not as bad as it could be. I tried again later that night when it was calm and finished trimming her in. Its doing well here on 3S so I think its fairly low drag.

Bad ass thread. Crafty mo fo. I like.

Scott

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Add some vertical surface in the middle of the wing (like I do on my Anubis airplane) and it will help control the wobbles.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Navigator
    Thanks! the original winglet and wing fence plan was based of your anubis. Wing fences were the original plan, but its done better then expected without them. These are the smallest winglets I've ever used on any plane since they were supposed to be supplemented by wing fences. The results have been low freq wobble in winds I wouldnt normally fly in and steady in winds I will fly in. I'm gun shy about adding in more winglet or fences since I cant stand high freq oscillations in bad air. When a plane gets jittery I cant see where I am going even though the nose is more "locked in" then a wobbly plane. I'm on battery 7 now and still thinking about maybe adding the fences, but I'd like more flights in good air before she goes under the knife again.

I also really like to let the nose fall over when on edge to get a sudo rudder effect. The HC44 is my only wing fence experience and that would not let the nose fall over. As a side note it was very jittery in bad air, but the large floppy center fins were probably the biggest culprit. I did like the way that plane flew crosswind. I figure thats where fences help the most.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast