FPVLAB

Thread: Going for Long Range.. Need advice

Navigator

Going for Long Range.. Need advice

I'm looking forward to build a Long Range (25 ~ 30km) capable plane..

I already have a Crossfire and I do trust it, Been using on my mini quads with success.

Now it comes to video, based on what I saw here and there I have 3 options.

1. Go with 2.4Ghz Video (TBS 800mW vtx + TBS GroundStation)
    2. Random 1.2Ghz VTX+RX with Notch Filter
    3. Random 1.2Ghz VTX+RX with a 5.8 relay ~ 15 meters away from me.

I would love to hear what would be the best options to me.

My current setup on the plane is a Foxtech 5.8G 2000mW VTX with TBS Triumph and TBS Triumph + Sniper (13.5db) on Goggles (True-D VRX).

If you want to go that far, you really want 1.2/1.3 just to have the confidence. But why not a combo of option of 2 and 3? I don't think I've seen a notch filter for 900 and 1.3 though :/

Navigator
    If I choose the 1.2Ghz Route, yes the 2+3 combo.

TBS sells a notch filter for 915 and 868mhz (Crossfire frequencies).

Or anyone could point a 1.2Ghz VRX that doesn't suffer from the Crossfire combo?

I think sailplanes are more fun for long range but you are probably looking for a Talon or a my twin dream.

Instructor Pilot
    A Mini Talon with 10A battery will easily do 25-30km as well. A friend of mine flew 34km the other day. We are making batteries with 18650 cells.
    Using Fox800 1.3tx and RMRC 1.3rx. EzUHF for the radio link.
    Relay on both radio and video.

Our goal is 50km for the Mini Talon.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrjr View Post
    I'm looking forward to build a Long Range (25 ~ 30km) capable plane..

I already have a Crossfire and I do trust it, Been using on my mini quads with success.

Now it comes to video, based on what I saw here and there I have 3 options.

1. Go with 2.4Ghz Video (TBS 800mW vtx + TBS GroundStation)
    2. Random 1.2Ghz VTX+RX with Notch Filter
    3. Random 1.2Ghz VTX+RX with a 5.8 relay ~ 15 meters away from me.

I would love to hear what would be the best options to me.

My current setup on the plane is a Foxtech 5.8G 2000mW VTX with TBS Triumph and TBS Triumph + Sniper (13.5db) on Goggles (True-D VRX).
    The TBS notch filter is no good (2.86dB loss and only -30dB attenuation). You either get lots of separation (I mean lots) or you buy a good RF filter with insignificant insertion loss. Get someone to make you an interdigital filter (<0.5dB loss, -60dB attenuation) or buy a CBP 1260C+ from mini circuits (0.7dB typical loss, -60dB attenuation).

Smile typo ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gains_FPV View Post
    The TBS notch filter is no good (2.86dB loss and only -30dB attenuation). You either get lots of separation (I mean lots) or you buy a good RF filter with insignificant insertion loss. Get someone to make you an interdigital filter (<0.5dB loss, -60dB attenuation) or buy a CBP 1260C+ from mini circuits (0.7dB typical loss, -60dB attenuation).
    I've look the datasheet and Is there a typo here ?
    "or buy a CBP 1260C+ from mini circuits (0.7dB typical loss, -60dB attenuation)" you mean "or buy a CBP 1260C+ from mini circuits (0.7dB typical loss, -30dB(?) attenuation) (27db?)

I will love to have more info about how to wire this to my 1.2 vrx with saw from RMRC. If you have such infos, it will be very kind.

If you are going to use the crossfire, look up posts by Killerbean as he did quite a few experiments with the crossfire and different 1.2/1.3 vtx setups. He finally wound up using Dragonlink and 2.4 on linear antennas for his best results. You can go through the personal best section to check the various setups there as well. If I was using the crossfire, I would use the Boscam 2.4 vtx as long as you don't have too much noise in your area in that band.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly1202 View Post
    I've look the datasheet and Is there a typo here ?
    "or buy a CBP 1260C+ from mini circuits (0.7dB typical loss, -60dB attenuation)" you mean "or buy a CBP 1260C+ from mini circuits (0.7dB typical loss, -30dB(?) attenuation) (27db?)

I will love to have more info about how to wire this to my 1.2 vrx with saw from RMRC. If you have such infos, it will be very kind.
    They only give the exact value at 1025 and 860 MHz. If you take a look at their graph you can see that ~900-950MHz lies between -60dB and -50dB attenuation (Also make sure you look at the right temperature). The easiest way is to buy their test board listed on that page solder it in the slot. It comes with SMA connectors, but no cover so make sure you shield the top or put in a metal box.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post
    If you are going to use the crossfire, look up posts by Killerbean as he did quite a few experiments with the crossfire and different 1.2/1.3 vtx setups. He finally wound up using Dragonlink and 2.4 on linear antennas for his best results. You can go through the personal best section to check the various setups there as well. If I was using the crossfire, I would use the Boscam 2.4 vtx as long as you don't have too much noise in your area in that band.
    I read the whole thread..yes ! all the page... but don't to put all my 1.2 stuff on garbage for now... Experimentation is really cool when bad weather is there...and really where I live, it's too often...
    Want to test the band pass filter Gains_FPV suggest or the other one....