Thread: Need equipment recommendations for very large FPV ground crawler

Question Need equipment recommendations for very large FPV ground crawler

I want to set up long range FPV on my ground crawler that I'm piecing together. It's basically a heavily modded electric wheelchair. I bought a long range XBee Pro (900MHz) for control and comms, but FPV is where I'm stuck. I need to make it at least across the neighborhood I live in. The nice thing is I can mount antennas about 5 feet in the air if needed on the crawler and even higher at the receiving end. The only matter that needs resolving is which transmitter and receiver I should get and at what power and frequency. Also, what kind of VRx and VTx antennas I should get.

I hear some are combining omnidirectional and directional antennas to extend range so that's one idea...

Maybe consider putting a laptop with one of those 4g receivers on it. You could control your ground crawler/see video through an internet connection.

The problem with that is I would have to pay for service and the possible lag that comes along with it.

1.2/1.3 ghz video should fit the bill. I had never seen those 900mhz parts you are using, they look interesting on the website.

Navigator
    Really the only option for ground FPV is 1.3 ghz. Depending on the size of your neighborhood it should be able to work, especially if paired with a pepperbox at the receiver.

Navigator
    Interested in seeing pictures and updates on the build.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk