www.immersionrc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex 150 driver issue

Vortex 150 driver issue

Trying to get my Vortex150 connected to Betaflight But keeps telling me the ImmersionRc USB to UART driver is not installed. Can't find the driver. Flys ok but would like to change modes. Where do I get the driver?

What are you using Mac or PC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you install the vortex configurator in chrome there is a link to the latest drivers. Install those and it should work.

Installed Immersion tools and got driver that way. Thanks!

I read, and try to absorb all the forum material as I can, but I almost never post comments. I just felt like sharing my thoughts here, so please bare with me... I had the same issue when I first bought my vortex 150 as well. Not to tute my own horn, but I'm a dual degree engineer, with a lot of mechanical and IT experience, and I've been in this hobby for several years. I very much respect and appreciate accurate specifications and installation instructions on any mechanical or electrical devices I may be dealing with. IMHO, those who choose not to read these documents get what they deserve... Now, having said all that; this exact same issue caused me 2 days of beating my head off a wall! Obviously I knew it was a serial driver issue, but finding direction to find the correct drivers was troublesome to say the least... The start up and full manual documentation lists the wrong serial drivers to communicate with the vortex 150. After 2 days of pouring over forums, I finally came across a random comment of installing the Immersion RC Tools package, which resides in the additional software download section of the Immersion RC Vortex 250 page. The person didn't know why, but evidentally the correct proprietary usb to uart drivers needed to communicate with the vortex 150 were also included in that package... Obviously I followed this tip, and installed the Immersion RC Tools package I found on the Vortex 250 page, and the correct usb serial drivers automatically installed too... At least 6 other people from my rc club took my suggestion, and ordered a Vortex 150 as well. I was like a train going from station to station around to their houses, in order to help them get past this issue. It consumed a lot of time, and frustrated many of us... I love you guys at Immersion RC, and I obviously love what you guys do enough to both purchase your products myself, as well as recommend your products to others in my rc community. I'm not trying to be a hater at all. I just feel like commenting on this issue because of how long it took me to resolve this issue. That just doesn't happen to me very often... If a link to the correct drivers does exist on the Vortex configurator I apologize for not seeing that. I will look again... Even with that being said, a link on the configurator home page isn't enough direction for the majority of the customers you are marketing this quad to. Especially when it contradicts the manual, which is most likely what these "newbees" will be reading, and trying to follow... I understand that mistakes in already distributed pdf manuals can be difficult to correct, but please try to do something to better direct your customers to the correct drivers. Whether the Immersion RC Tools was meant for the Vortex 150 or not, why not add that link to the Vortex 150 web page; and maybe a brief explanation? Or better yet, separate the correct drivers from the Immersion RC Tools package, and provide a link to them on the Vortex 150 page, along with an explanation. The easiest thing would be to start printing an amendment memo, and start including it in the Vortex 150 packaging... Again, I'm not trying to be over critical. It's just that IMHO, a quad at this price point, that has been out for this long shouldn't have hang ups like this, without them being clearly resolved by the manufacture. Either by documentation correction, or by additional clearly deserned amendments, or links... I really appreciate and respect what Immersion RC is trying to do with the automated setup technology. I think it allows people to get into a quad of the Vortex's caliber, without having to be the fc and configurator experts we used to have to be. Kudos to Immersion RC for that... That being said, 90% of us are going to want to get into betaflight, and at least change our modes and add an arming switch. If you're going to require a special, or proprietary driver, please clearly specify this, and provide clear, and easy to follow directions... Sometimes I worry that in our haste to develop various automated setup technologies, we sometimes overlook the impact on setup versatility. Let's be honest, this quad was supposed to be marketed to both beginner and advanced pilots... IMHO, if Immersion RC could fix this oversite, they would have the highest rated review I would give... Sorry for my long winded speech. My opinions are meant with respect. I very much appreciate the innovative way in which Immersion RC develops their wonderful products. Keep up the good work Immersion RC! Thank you to any, and all, who read this post, and benefit from it. "There is only one way to go, and that's straight up!"

Open Vortex app, notice link to driver install URL bottom left corner, click to install > when completed, connect Vortex 150 to USB > Done!
    Purveyor of the FPV secret sauce at ImmersionRC

When I got home today, I brought up my vortex configurator, so I could look at this link. I thought I must have missed this link somehow when I was setting up my vortex 150, so I needed to check it out... Unfortunately it's the same link to the silicon labs cp210x usb to uart drivers that I'm already familiar with. I tried this driver on 4 different computers during my struggle to get my vortex 150 to communicate with betaflight. I had zero success each time. I also already use these drivers for other flight controllers, so I already had them installed on each of my 4 computers anyway. Even still, I tried uninstalling and re-installing the same drivers. Still no success. I also helped several other people in my rc community deal with this same driver issue, and we had the same failures with this driver. I'm not going to multiply how many computers that is, but I can tell you it was involving 7 different vortex 150s, including my own... The only way we could get our vortex 150s to be recognized, and communicate with the serial port was to install the Immersion RC Tools package. For whatever reason, that package had the correct usb to uart drivers we needed to get things going... I'm not sure why we had to do things this way? My point here is; if the drivers from the vortex configurator app don't work for you, follow mirmanchuck's advice, and download and install the Immersion RC Tools package. It's located in the firmware/download section on the Immersion RC Vortex 250 pro webpage... No disrespect intended ssassen... "There is only one way to go, and that's straight up!"

Sometimes the installation of the immersionrc tools works if there a driver issues. I believe it has to do with some old version of different drivers that conflicts. So indeed good advise if you have driver issues with the recommended drivers try immersionrc tools.

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! completely right on. I signed up for this user group just to say thanks. I was struggling for days,, reading and watching all the video tutorials,, im not an idiot,, actually pretty proficient with computer... downloaded the old immersion tools on the totally unrelated 250 page and wahlah.
    able to connect to betaflight with virtual com port. it is a bit pathetic that you basically have to figure this out for yourself. and keep your fingers crossed, I know windows is to blame too.
    thanks again!

Thanks to Borgslayer

I finally could use my USB interface with the right drivers. I already wanted to give up and throw the Vortex 150 mini into the garbage.
    In addition, I would appreciate (other customers also), if immersionrc is investigating this circumstance and at least , they could publish this workarround on the appropriate side . --> https://www.immersionrc.com/fpv-prod...specifications

No offence, but thanks to Borgslayer.