FPVLAB

Thread: FrSky R9 + R9M module 900Mhz (868Mhz EU) Long range system

FrSky R9 + R9M module 900Mhz (868Mhz EU) Long range system

Hey guys, check this out, Banggood has the FrSky L9 + L9R module system up on their website and supposedly that would be the asking price! This will be one killer system if it really workds as advertised!

I am getting over 20kms on the L9R receiver at 100mW Tx power. I can only imagive that those 10kms on 1W output for the R9 are grossly understated, especially if you switch off the telemetry option!

This will potentially be a HUGE game changed for us long range flyers that don't want to use 433Mhz with those large antennas! Best thing is with this system you can move video down to 2.4Ghz without suffering ANY bad effects from the radio system, and without using low-pass filters and similar stuff! And it will absolutely increase the range of the video system!

Absolutely will get one as soon as it is available and will do some proper tests, will publish here!

Specifications
    --------------------
    Dimension: 43.8*26.8*13.8 (L*W*H - R9)
    Weight: 16.5g (R9)/ 56.2g (R9M+Antenna)
    Number of Channels: 16CH (1~8ch from conventional channel outputs, 1~16ch from SBUS)
    Firmware Upgradable
    Compatibility: R9&R9M
    Operating Voltage Range: 4V-10V(R9)/ 7V-15V(R9M)
    R9 Operating Current: 100mA@5V
    R9M Operating current:

Features
    --------------------
    900MHz working mode ( 868MHz for EU areas )
    Two auto-detected modulations of PXX or CPPM
    Light weight combination
    Long range ( 1.5KM@10mW and 10km@1W or farther ), low latency and high precision RC system
    4 optional RF power from 10mW to 1W (10mW/100mW/500mW/1000mW )
    Self-healing ACCST frequency hopping link
    Smart Port enabled, realizing two-way full duplex transmission

I want it to be awesome, I like the "Smart Port telemetry" function. Looks like a good solution for variometer users. Eagle Tree Vector has a GPS variometer function but it kinda sucks in two ways:
    1) GPS vario isn't nearly as useful as a proper barometric variometer like the FVAS-02H, lots of false positives, false negatives and failure to pick up anything in light lift.
    2) sending audio through your video transmitter's audio line sends a lot of fuzz too, the buzz of static is annoying, ultimately I usually end up just turning the sound off.

I really doubt that R9 is just going to be good (in the United States) though. It's going to end up being another Crossfire.
    Daemon said [about the crossfire]:
    For me the interference starts about 2-3 miles out and eventually becomes pretty unbearable
    by 4 miles out. I get that not everyone flys that far away, but this is marketed as a
    long range control system, so I'm testing its long range capabilities with 1.3Ghz video which is
    generally considered the best band for long range flights...

We've been trying to resolve this issue with notch filters. At first we thought Crossfire
    must be putting harmonic noise up into the 1.3Ghz video band, so we started with
    a notch filter that passed 915Mhz and blocked 1280Mhz and put it on the Crossfire Tx.
    It had zero effect. It appears that most 1.3Ghz VRXs are actually picking up the 915Mhz
    signal directly. Anyone who's flown with others in the 0.9-1.3Ghz band knows that
    if you're flying far away and someone else powers up on *any* other channel in that range
    nearby, it'll step on your video. What we see from Crossfire Tx at 500mW is very similar. So
    I was sent a couple notch filters that block 915Mhz and pass 1.3Ghz, meant to be placed on the
    VRX. It does appear to do an OK job of blocking 915Mhz, but unfortunately it has
    had a serious negative effect on my video range itself...

At 5 miles while making a slow 360 degree turn, it's grainy but OK in some orientations and very bad in others.
    At 6 miles, it's almost unflyable...

The local noise floor at 915Mhz around here is just too high for effective use of the Crossfire.
    Originally Posted by leenix66 I had failsafes at 10km even with tuned antennas. Its flying season already, I can't really deal with rc control issues so I switched back to DL
    Last edited by parajared; 19th May 2017 at 10:53 AM.

I am getting over 20kms on the L9R receiver at 100mW Tx power
    Very nice!
    I get about 5.5 kilometers and I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong, maybe just an issue of noise floor.

Hey Arxangel you dabble in FPV more than I do, is there a smart phone app that works as a "RFexplorer" for 2.4 ghz, something to let me see what my noise floor is. Something like this should exist because my smart phone's wifi antenna is set up for 2.4 (as far as I know).

Not sure where my other post went... weird... posts go missing for some reason around here!

Anyway, actually in Europe we should have 868Mhz, and as far as I know, neither will affect the use of 2.4Ghzs video or 5.8Ghz video, not sure about 1.3 though!
    Ever since I can remember I've been using telemetry on 900Mhz, which is not strictly legal around here, but it is only 100mW, so I am not really interfering with anyway, and I have not noticed any interference in my telemetry signal! It has been working amazingly well both with my 2.4Ghz control and 5.8Ghz video!

When I get the R9M module I will surely try to find a good 2.4Ghz video system to pair it with, as it will surely give me more stable video at the longer ranger this module is supposed to be capable of!

Is it too soon to ask for micro receivers for this system...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by btnewman View Post
    Is it too soon to ask for micro receivers for this system...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Hahaha, I think so! We will have to send a request and see what they tell us!