FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What real difference between Transmitter and Controller?

Navigator

What real difference between Transmitter and Controller?

I wonder what real difference between Transmitter and Controller? For a long time, I thought they are one thing.

Navigator
    Transmitter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmitter
    Controller: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_controller

Basically the transmitter transmits the actions you do on the controller.
    And yes, they can be combined in the same housing.

Navigator
    In the same housing? What's the meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by yamahabest View Post
    Transmitter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmitter
    Controller: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_controller

Basically the transmitter transmits the actions you do on the controller.
    And yes, they can be combined in the same housing.

Navigator
    For example, your Radio (referred to as Tx) is a combination of a controller and a transmitter.

Or are you talking about the flight controller (FC)?

Navigator
    No, I do not talk about FC. I just need to know the transmitter and controller are not the same thing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by yamahabest View Post
    For example, your Radio (referred to as Tx) is a combination of a controller and a transmitter.

Or are you talking about the flight controller (FC)?

Transmitter and controller used to be the same thing, just different people calling it different name. Now it is the "radio" because of new FPV age. If you say "transmitter" you'll have to specify to avoid confusion whether it is radio transmitter (aka Tx) or video transmitter (aka Vtx). And if you say "controller" it will be automatically presumed as a flight controller (aka FC) due to multirotor boom.
    I didn't hear somebody calling RC radio a "controller" for a long time... I'm not that old, it's just all this tech evolves rapidly, so does the lingo
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

Navigator
    Hahaha, I am newbie here. RC radio,yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Roboforcer X2000 View Post
    Transmitter and controller used to be the same thing, just different people calling it different name. Now it is the "radio" because of new FPV age. If you say "transmitter" you'll have to specify to avoid confusion whether it is radio transmitter (aka Tx) or video transmitter (aka Vtx). And if you say "controller" it will be automatically presumed as a flight controller (aka FC) due to multirotor boom.
    I didn't hear somebody calling RC radio a "controller" for a long time... I'm not that old, it's just all this tech evolves rapidly, so does the lingo

The confusing thing to me is that the "radio" that I hold in my hands (Taranis X9D+) to make my rc aircraft do what I want it to do is both a transmitter and receiver as it transmits to aircraft and receives telemetry and GPS data from the aircraft. Likewise the "receiver" on the aircraft is both a transmitter and receiver as it receives signals from my "radio" and transmits telemetry and GPS data to the "radio".

Navigator
    Yes, but the receiver part of the radio is just a secondary function. You can still fly without receiving telemetry and GPS signals. In fact, my radio doesn't receive these, my monitor does. As far as GPS goes, the radio isn't really "receiving" the GPS signal, the flight controller is. It's just receiving the signal from the vtx which is displaying information of what the GPS is telling the flight controller to do.

Navigator
    Hahaha, I am confused, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SamFromCO View Post
    The confusing thing to me is that the "radio" that I hold in my hands (Taranis X9D+) to make my rc aircraft do what I want it to do is both a transmitter and receiver as it transmits to aircraft and receives telemetry and GPS data from the aircraft. Likewise the "receiver" on the aircraft is both a transmitter and receiver as it receives signals from my "radio" and transmits telemetry and GPS data to the "radio".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast