Thread: New QAV-Skitzo build - need recommendations

New QAV-Skitzo build - need recommendations

I plan on doing a new build based on the QAV-Skitzo frame. Here is what I am planning:

Team Black Sheep FPVision (PBD, VTX & OSD)
    Team Black Sheep Colibri F3 FC
    Team Black Sheep Diagonal ESC Board
    Lumenier "Freybott Edition" MB2206-9/2450kv Motors (Pre-Ordered them back in Jan. and still waiting. Latest info shows shipping by end of April...)
    Foxeer HS1177 FPV Camera 2.5mm lens
    Spektrum DSMX Quad Race Receiver w/Diversity
    Team Black Sheep Triumph Antenna
    I will be mainly using Tattu 4S 1300 75c batteries with this setup

My question is which ESC would you recommend for this setup? I am looking for some new/updated/recently released ESC's that are 14mm or less wide so they fit nicely on the narrow QAV-Skitzo arms. Looking mainly at the following newly released ESC's - eMax Bullet, Spedix HV, DYS XSD, Favourite FVT Little Bee - Spring and T-Motor Racing w/DSHOT. Team Black Sheep Bulletproof and KISS ESC's are too wide. Thanks for any help or recommendations on my "planned setup" and Which ESC Including size (30A was what I was thinking but could probably get by with 20A or 25A) I should use.
    Last edited by qavflyer; 3rd April 2017 at 06:40 PM.

Navigator
    The ESC should be suitable with your motor. Just wait your motor to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by qavflyer View Post
    I plan on doing a new build based on the QAV-Skitzo frame. Here is what I am planning:

Team Black Sheep FPVision (PBD, VTX & OSD)
    Team Black Sheep Colibri F3 FC
    Team Black Sheep Diagonal ESC Board
    Lumenier "Freybott Edition" MB2206-9/2450kv Motors (Pre-Ordered them back in Jan. and still waiting. Latest info shows shipping by end of April...)
    Foxeer HS1177 FPV Camera 2.5mm lens
    Spektrum DSMX Quad Race Receiver w/Diversity
    Team Black Sheep Triumph Antenna
    I will be mainly using Tattu 4S 1300 75c batteries with this setup

My question is which ESC would you recommend for this setup? I am looking for some new/updated/recently released ESC's that are 14mm or less wide so they fit nicely on the narrow QAV-Skitzo arms. Looking mainly at the following newly released ESC's - eMax Bullet, Spedix HV, DYS XSD, Favourite FVT Little Bee - Spring and T-Motor Racing w/DSHOT. Team Black Sheep Bulletproof and KISS ESC's are too wide. Thanks for any help or recommendations on my "planned setup" and Which ESC Including size (30A was what I was thinking but could probably get by with 20A or 25A) I should use.

Have you begun building this yet? I ask cause I'm gonna use the fpvision elite combo on the skitzo frame and I'm not yet sure how I'm gonna mount the stack to the aluminum standoffs that hold the frame together. TBS suggests to use two screws on the ground posts and the included double sided tape, but this wont work on the skitzo frame. Also heres a pic of the TBS bulletproof 25 amp sitting on one of the skitzo arms, its a little wider but I think it will be ok since the esc will be in heat shrink and I'm gonna tape it to the arm. Just wondering if you had come up with a mounting solution yet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build pic.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	76589

Name:	Arm pic.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	315.4 KB 
ID:	76590

Quote Originally Posted by trxrider View Post
    Have you begun building this yet? I ask cause I'm gonna use the fpvision elite combo on the skitzo frame and I'm not yet sure how I'm gonna mount the stack to the aluminum standoffs that hold the frame together. TBS suggests to use two screws on the ground posts and the included double sided tape, but this wont work on the skitzo frame. Also heres a pic of the TBS bulletproof 25 amp sitting on one of the skitzo arms, its a little wider but I think it will be ok since the esc will be in heat shrink and I'm gonna tape it to the arm. Just wondering if you had come up with a mounting solution yet.

Name:	Build pic.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	76589

Name:	Arm pic.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	315.4 KB 
ID:	76590
    Yes, what I did was use the 4 nylon standoffs that came with the QAV-Skitzo kit. You have to use 4 longer screws to go through the bottom plate into the mounts and then screw into the nylon standoffs. You will remove the bottom plastic plate from the FPVision and place the FPVision (PDB) on the nylon standoffs and then use the brass or gold standoffs to secure it to the nylon standoff. I have this type of mounting on all my QAV's - sorta of a soft mount which is better for the FC too. Hope this helps (see picture below) and thanks for the pictures!

In terms of ESC's (that I have not decided on yet), as I wait for the "Freybott" motors I am hoping that TBS comes out with their updated 2-in-1 ESC for the Powercube stack which they keep telling me that "it's coming" for the past 3-4 months. If the motors are delivered to me and TBS doesn't release the 2-in-1 ESC, then I will go with the diagonal board and a set of ESC's. I just would prefer the ESC's in the stack as it makes a "cleaner" build but don't want to use the older stack ESC's in this build as they are now outdated.

Name:	20170407_051753 - Edited.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	406.7 KB 
ID:	76593
    Last edited by qavflyer; 7th April 2017 at 05:45 AM.

Yes that does help, I will have to get some longer screws. thanks very much.

Navigator
    I have basically an identical build that I have been tuning. Waiting for my goggles to come in to finally have some real fun with it. I'll take some pictures soon. I have issues when it comes to how my builds look, so it's a nice build. I promise .

Navigator
    The fact I don't have a proper studio for nice photos with blank white backgrounds makes me angry. But here she is, using all black wires makes a big difference. I used a heat gun to bend the vertical antenna mount for the stubby Triumph. First pictures of her out in the wild. If you want any details of her let me know. It is my first mini quad build. I'd appreciate some feedback and/or things to change.

Here is a link to my rotor builds page. It has more in-depth descriptions and an exact, to the T parts list.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rclover106; 15th April 2017 at 12:12 AM.

Your build looks great, good job, very clean looking. I finished mine Friday and went flying yesterday, and found a flaw in the Skitzo/ Fpvision combo. When you crash and hit the camera, the camera can pivot back and break the uart1 and beeper ports off the flight controller board. This happened to me yesterday, I got thru 8 packs or so and was pushing it and put it in a tree under power, nothing I haven't done to my vendetta a thousand times. It broke those two ports off and ripped the video antenna mount off. I use uart1 for my receiver to do telemetry, I would solder the wires right to the pads but it pulled a pad off. I'm going to get another fc ordered and get it going again, but will likely move the fpvison setup to another frame and do a raceflight build with this one.
    One other suggestion to RCLOVER106, I had a thin layer of electrical tape holding my speed controllers to the arms, along with the shrink wrap that they came with, when I hit the branches it ripped right through scratching the shit out of the escs and ripped one motor wire off. I would suggest wrapping yours with a lot of electrical tape (at least 3 layers thick) the whole length of the arm, motor to standoff, this is how I will run mine from now on. It wont look near as good, but will hold up better for sure.
    I will take pics of the damage and repair and post them back here when I get a chance.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by trxrider View Post
    Your build looks great, good job, very clean looking. I finished mine Friday and went flying yesterday, and found a flaw in the Skitzo/ Fpvision combo. When you crash and hit the camera, the camera can pivot back and break the uart1 and beeper ports off the flight controller board. This happened to me yesterday, I got thru 8 packs or so and was pushing it and put it in a tree under power, nothing I haven't done to my vendetta a thousand times. It broke those two ports off and ripped the video antenna mount off. I use uart1 for my receiver to do telemetry, I would solder the wires right to the pads but it pulled a pad off. I'm going to get another fc ordered and get it going again, but will likely move the fpvison setup to another frame and do a raceflight build with this one.
    One other suggestion to RCLOVER106, I had a thin layer of electrical tape holding my speed controllers to the arms, along with the shrink wrap that they came with, when I hit the branches it ripped right through scratching the shit out of the escs and ripped one motor wire off. I would suggest wrapping yours with a lot of electrical tape (at least 3 layers thick) the whole length of the arm, motor to standoff, this is how I will run mine from now on. It wont look near as good, but will hold up better for sure.
    I will take pics of the damage and repair and post them back here when I get a chance.
    Thanks, I appreciate it. And I took some tips of yours and added a few more zip ties to the arms, I couldn't get myself to cover up the arms completely with the electrical tape, just couldn't do it. I'm currently trying to think of a way to keep the cam from smashing the connectors. I have put a strip of the thick foam that came with the frame for now on the back of the camera where it would touch the FC, but need a more solid better solution. I'll keep you posted if I think of or make anything. And I'd like to see those pictures whenever you get a chance 😀.
    Thanks,
    Tyler

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I only took a couple pics, I had a chance to fly and was trying to get it back together. I put the receiver back on the normal receiver port, soldered the motor wires back to the esc that it got ripped off of and wrapped the arms with enough tape to protect from branches. I was almost done and I drilled the back plate to mount the antenna, it got ripped off in the crash. When I was done I went to plug the antenna back in the board and saw that it ripped the socket off the fpvision board.
    Ive got another elite combo gonna be here wed.
    I would really recommend wrapping the arms cause when it went into the tree the branches rubbed right thru that heat shrink and they caught the motor wire and pulled it right off, I got lucky and it didn't pull the pad off, but I'm not taking chances now.
    Also you can see in the pics it only took off the uart1 port not the beeper, it was the camera plug that hit and broke it, a piece of foam would help, but the camera mount needs a second screw on each side, no easy way to do it.
    I think now I'm getting it set up a bit better to hold up well, and think I will be happy with it. If your not crashing your not flying hard enough I guess.

Name:	s1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	76681 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	76682 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	76683 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s4.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	328.9 KB 
ID:	76684 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s5.jpg 
Size:	292.0 KB 
ID:	76685 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s6.jpg 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	76680