Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TBS Unify Pro HV 5.8GHz VTx - Lines in Video Feed

TBS Unify Pro HV 5.8GHz VTx - Lines in Video Feed

I recently received one of the TBS Unify Pro HV 5.8GHz VTXs and no matter what suggested fix I try I can't get rid of the lines in my video feed. I switched it out for an Aomway 200mw VTx and the issue is completely gone. Between that and the amount of heat it puts out (set to 200mw) I'm pretty disappointed and probably won't be ordering another one.

the reason for the lines are voltage spikes in your power supply rail. the size and weight constraint that comes with the unify HV line make it necessary to reduce the amount of filtering, unfortunately. the easiest way to get rid of voltage spikes is to use high quality ESC's with adequate capacitance. Making the noise visual is actually a good indicator, as the ripple in your voltage spike will cause all kinds of failures in electronics long term, so it's always best to fix the root cause. As for heat, same thing ... the amount of heat put out by the Unify Pro is not unusual, it's just smaller and therefore has less thermal dissipation possibilities.

PS: are you talking about horizontal lines or diagonal lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Trappy View Post
    They're horizontal line, are the Armattan 30a ESCs not good quality? If this is "normal" behavior for this VTx it's definitely one that I will be avoiding, sorry.

Hey Trappy, I was thinking about ordering a Unify HV to replace my ancient (and huge) 600mw IRC VTX.

Would I have this video line issue with Kiss 24A ESCs?

Quote Originally Posted by Airmaxx23 View Post
    They're horizontal line, are the Armattan 30a ESCs not good quality? If this is "normal" behavior for this VTx it's definitely one that I will be avoiding, sorry.
    not sure who exactly makes the Armattan 30A's. The underlying issue is not a "good" or "bad" quality ESC, it's about stability if your voltage supply line. without stability in the voltage supply you need to add inductors and more capacitors, which increases the size and weight of the VTx.

Quote Originally Posted by fahrvergnuugen View Post
    Hey Trappy, I was thinking about ordering a Unify HV to replace my ancient (and huge) 600mw IRC VTX.

Would I have this video line issue with Kiss 24A ESCs?
    there will be improvements specifically for KISS in the current production batch. to be safe, I suggest to wait a week or so before you place your order as there may be leftover stock.

not sure who exactly makes the Armattan 30A's. The underlying issue is not a "good" or "bad" quality ESC, it's about stability if your voltage supply line. without stability in the voltage supply you need to add inductors and more capacitors, which increases the size and weight of the VTx.

there will be improvements specifically for KISS in the current production batch. to be safe, I suggest to wait a week or so before you place your order as there may be leftover stock.
    Thanks, I'll just stick with the 200mw Aomway VTx for now, when I solder a pigtail onto them they are only .3 grams heavier than the Unify HV and I have no lines at all. I guess it's something I should have looked into before buying one, lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Airmaxx23 View Post
    Thanks, I'll just stick with the 200mw Aomway VTx for now, when I solder a pigtail onto them they are only .3 grams heavier than the Unify HV and I have no lines at all. I guess it's something I should have looked into before buying one, lesson learned.
    the main thing you should look into is your voltage ripple, as it will be damaging your batteries and pretty much all other electronics that are connected to the voltage rail in the long term. there is some good video about it here:

the main thing you should look into is your voltage ripple, as it will be damaging your batteries and pretty much all other electronics that are connected to the voltage rail in the long term. there is some good video about it here:
    I have a few quads that have had the Aomway VTx on them for over a year now and everything has been fine. I wouldn't mind a few lines with the Unify but it's almost unflyable currently. I feel like this is something that should be in the product description so others are aware, had I known about the lines I wouldn't have ordered one.

Navigator
    Hi Trappy,

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I have diagonal lines through my unify pro HV even if the quad isn't armed. I do have a capacitor to absorb voltage spikes and am just adding an additional LC filter to see if that makes any difference. I'm wondering if it's a ground loop issue, but the VTX is wired as per the diagram. Any other ideas?