Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor Range with Crossfire?

Quote Originally Posted by skygreg View Post
    I'm thinking about a bad rx for mine too... My X4R beats the micro, and I have no issue with the big diversity. I'll do some more testing this week-end and then i'll be done with it, definitively.
    I have tried 2 different micro rx's with the same results. Post your test results up here, And I will share mine aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobster View Post
    Yeah, thats the dipole for the Micro Rx, it is supposed to be in a straight line, (linear).
    I'm not so sure about it being in a straight line. Don't you think they would have left it as a single straight line and not split the wires? My setup is at 100mw and have taken it over 300yds. Also have you tried the straight antenna that came with the TX? This video is the way mine is setup. Also maybe try turning the dynamic off? I'm sure you tried everything but maybe missed something, so I'm throwing out options for you. Best of luck.

https://youtu.be/mAnxZ5tg6UA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper_19 View Post
    I'm not so sure about it being in a straight line. Don't you think they would have left it as a single straight line and not split the wires? My setup is at 100mw and have taken it over 300yds. Also have you tried the straight antenna that came with the TX? This video is the way mine is setup. Also maybe try turning the dynamic off? I'm sure you tried everything but maybe missed something, so I'm throwing out options for you. Best of luck.

https://youtu.be/mAnxZ5tg6UA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Appreciate the help Reaper, I have played with dynamic and such but plan to do more tests in a couple hours. Setup your antenna how you like but that antenna is a dipole, and a dipole antenna performs best when straight. Just because someone made a video to say how to install it doesn't mean they are right. It wasn't shipped in a heavier straight case to allow easier mounting and keep weight down for the micro rx. Anyways, I really dont think antenna position is my issue as I have already tested all types of antenna positions on two different micro rx's.

@All

I wrote down some tests you can do. Would be great if you can do those tests and report back. Happy to help and sort out these issues.
    http://team-blacksheep.freshdesk.com...977-poor-range

Quote Originally Posted by Mobster View Post
    I am literally 20 feet away. Turn around and it goes up to 500mw. I am pretty sure I have a faulty crossfire TX......this is brand new...

My video link below shows me standing 20 feet away, then I turn around and it goes up to 500mw....somethings not right. It does this with both quads. My antenna is straight across horizontally, but but I do not think antenna is my issue at 20 feet. And same issue on both quads.

https://youtu.be/jtWZVX3yOMw
    Can you show us what values you get on the Up- and Downlink page when this is happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Perna View Post
    @All
    I wrote down some tests you can do. Would be great if you can do those tests and report back. Happy to help and sort out these issues.
    http://team-blacksheep.freshdesk.com...977-poor-range
    Hey Perna,

Thanks for your help and the link. I did a range test on Thursday but my GoPro was out of focus so all I have is OpenTX logs again. They matched what the TX said but I will go again this weekend and get GoPro footage. I didn't test the power stage of the TX like you outlined so I'll do that as well. I also need to find something besides my tripod since it is aluminum.

For the following data I tested three different receivers:
    Receiver #1 was a brand new receiver sitting atop a 6 foot tripod.
    Receiver #2 is my oldest receiver and is installed in a quad strapped to the tripod about 5 feet up. Orientation is vertical with active element facing up and ground plane towards ground.
    Receiver #3 is also installed in a quad but is horizontally installed and strung from back motor to back motor and is on top of the 6 foot tripod.

I'm providing only 5V to the flight controller on the quad installed receivers so noise from Vtx, etc, is not taken into consideration yet.

For #1 and #2 TX antenna is vertical and for #3 it is horizontal.

I walked (skated) 365m away with clear LOS to the receivers, activated logging, and slowly moved towards the quad always keeping proper antenna orientation.

Receiver #2 seems to be worse than the others but then again it was at 5 feet vs 6 feet but 10db is a lot of loss for a foot of height I think at only 365m.

Here's scatter plots for all three for RSSI vs Time:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	76454

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	76455

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	76456

Here's my average numbers while at range for each receiver:
    Rec # RSSI RSNR RQly TRSSI TSNR TQly
    1 85.5 db 27.9 db 100% 85.5 db 26.5 db 100%
    2 96.5 db 13.3 db 98.5% 94.3 db 16.9 db 98.9%
    3 82.3 db 25.9 db 98.3% 75.5 db 41.3 db 97.3%

These are rough averages as I walked way slower in the first test.

Are these values normal for 10mw at 365m? Noise floor was around -113db.

I feel like receiver #2 is clearly worse than #1 & #2.

FrSky at this distance was near 60db.

I have removed receiver #2 from the quad and will test it along with #1 as just a bare receiver.

Thanks for any help guys.

Raw data (XLSX): https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcbak0pz9l...Data.xlsx?dl=0

Navigator
    Since this thread is active and the issue is related. When I'm at 10mW and like 1.5-2 meters away, should I expect constant 300% LQ or is some variation expected? Because these values are noisy and go down to 270% very often. Same at 100mW and 6 meters and a wall between the receiver and transmitter, it keeps fluctuating.

--edit:
    Here's the error rate at 100mW power, couple of meters distance and a wall inbetween. (10mW at 2m unobstructed LOS it looks similar. There's errors on downlink, too.)

I suppose my receiver is broken, again? Transmitter power stage works fine per instructions in the KB article linked above.

Name:	1gAdV5T.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	76473
    Last edited by Glowtape; 26th March 2017 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LCurole View Post
    Hey Perna,

Thanks for your help and the link. I did a range test on Thursday but my GoPro was out of focus so all I have is OpenTX logs again. They matched what the TX said but I will go again this weekend and get GoPro footage. I didn't test the power stage of the TX like you outlined so I'll do that as well. I also need to find something besides my tripod since it is aluminum.

For the following data I tested three different receivers:
    Receiver #1 was a brand new receiver sitting atop a 6 foot tripod.
    Receiver #2 is my oldest receiver and is installed in a quad strapped to the tripod about 5 feet up. Orientation is vertical with active element facing up and ground plane towards ground.
    Receiver #3 is also installed in a quad but is horizontally installed and strung from back motor to back motor and is on top of the 6 foot tripod.

I'm providing only 5V to the flight controller on the quad installed receivers so noise from Vtx, etc, is not taken into consideration yet.

For #1 and #2 TX antenna is vertical and for #3 it is horizontal.

I walked (skated) 365m away with clear LOS to the receivers, activated logging, and slowly moved towards the quad always keeping proper antenna orientation.

Receiver #2 seems to be worse than the others but then again it was at 5 feet vs 6 feet but 10db is a lot of loss for a foot of height I think at only 365m.

Here's scatter plots for all three for RSSI vs Time:

Name:	1.jpg 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	76454

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	76455

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	76456

Here's my average numbers while at range for each receiver:
    Rec # RSSI RSNR RQly TRSSI TSNR TQly
    1 85.5 db 27.9 db 100% 85.5 db 26.5 db 100%
    2 96.5 db 13.3 db 98.5% 94.3 db 16.9 db 98.9%
    3 82.3 db 25.9 db 98.3% 75.5 db 41.3 db 97.3%

These are rough averages as I walked way slower in the first test.

Are these values normal for 10mw at 365m? Noise floor was around -113db.

I feel like receiver #2 is clearly worse than #1 & #2.

FrSky at this distance was near 60db.

I have removed receiver #2 from the quad and will test it along with #1 as just a bare receiver.

Thanks for any help guys.

Raw data (XLSX): https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcbak0pz9l...Data.xlsx?dl=0
    Thank you for testing. If you increase power at this distance does your uplink RSSI values getting closer to 0? Can you also tell me the firmware version and serial number?

Quote Originally Posted by Glowtape View Post
    Since this thread is active and the issue is related. When I'm at 10mW and like 1.5-2 meters away, should I expect constant 300% LQ or is some variation expected? Because these values are noisy and go down to 270% very often. Same at 100mW and 6 meters and a wall between the receiver and transmitter, it keeps fluctuating.

--edit:
    Here's the error rate at 100mW power, couple of meters distance and a wall inbetween. (10mW at 2m unobstructed LOS it looks similar. There's errors on downlink, too.)

I suppose my receiver is broken, again? Transmitter power stage works fine per instructions in the KB article linked above.

Name:	1gAdV5T.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	76473
    The spectrum analyzer shows quite accurate there is an other device interfering on a few channels. You can test if it shows the same on the flying field. I don't think there is anything wrong with this unit.

Navigator
    Ah, the X-axis are the channels, good to know.

That said, I'm having micro-failsafes on the field within 100m of LOS with the transmitter set to 25mW fixed or set to 100mW dynamic power. I can usually see the LQ drop a lot in the OSD when it's about to happen. I really need to get a DVR to demonstrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Glowtape View Post
    Ah, the X-axis are the channels, good to know.

That said, I'm having micro-failsafes on the field within 100m of LOS with the transmitter set to 25mW fixed or set to 100mW dynamic power. I can usually see the LQ drop a lot in the OSD when it's about to happen. I really need to get a DVR to demonstrate.
    How long are the drop outs? Do you have a TBS OSD so we can see the link status on the DVR?