Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor Range with Crossfire?

Poor Range with Crossfire?

I just got a new crossfire and 2 new Micro Rx's. I put the micro Rx's in 2 of my racing quads and set them up, all looked good on the bench. When I went to fly I barley got 50 feet before the dynamic power turned my Drossfire TX up to 500mw! This also happened with my other quad. Does anybody have any idea why it went up to 500mw so quickly? I am worried that I am not getting much for range!?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobster View Post
    I just got a new crossfire and 2 new Micro Rx's. I put the micro Rx's in 2 of my racing quads and set them up, all looked good on the bench. When I went to fly I barley got 50 feet before the dynamic power turned my Drossfire TX up to 500mw! This also happened with my other quad. Does anybody have any idea why it went up to 500mw so quickly? I am worried that I am not getting much for range!?
    I'm also having range issues with micro v2 on my quads.

Quote Originally Posted by LCurole View Post
    I'm also having range issues with micro v2 on my quads.
    What is your issue? I havent had a failsafe but my radio did tell me I had a "sensor loss", I was able to turn around. that was at like 250m.

My tx power ramps up to 500mw almost right away.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobster View Post
    I just got a new crossfire and 2 new Micro Rx's....
    Can you do a range check and look at RSSI / Link Quality? What I do is take the quad and set it on a box way down field and then watch LQ as I walk away. How do you have your antennas setup? The micro antenna is a dipole so you want to have the clear / silver part pointing straight up. The documentation is a little ambiguous on this aspect - the full size receiver uses diversity tuning so those need to be 90 degrees apart. The micro is not using diversity tuning. Can you post a picture?

I usually match the polarization tx to rx, since I leave my tx horizontal just for space considerations I run the rx the same for max range.

Quote Originally Posted by DWB80117 View Post
    Can you do a range check and look at RSSI / Link Quality? What I do is take the quad and set it on a box way down field and then watch LQ as I walk away. How do you have your antennas setup? The micro antenna is a dipole so you want to have the clear / silver part pointing straight up. The documentation is a little ambiguous on this aspect - the full size receiver uses diversity tuning so those need to be 90 degrees apart. The micro is not using diversity tuning. Can you post a picture?
    I am literally 20 feet away. Turn around and it goes up to 500mw. I am pretty sure I have a faulty crossfire TX......this is brand new...

My video link below shows me standing 20 feet away, then I turn around and it goes up to 500mw....somethings not right. It does this with both quads. My antenna is straight across horizontally, but but I do not think antenna is my issue at 20 feet. And same issue on both quads.

https://youtu.be/jtWZVX3yOMw

So I did a range test this morning, I lost signal at about 250m at 500mw...... Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this issue or would it be a faulty crossfire tx?

Some quick troubleshooting could give hints.... does it lose signal at different ranges for different power levels? have you tried the different frequency band? have you tried to go higher than 500mw with an external batt? and lastly pull the rx completely out of the craft and power only it up and see how far you get.

I have poor range to on a miniquad, I tried dynamic power or 500mW with dyn off, I have the same range with an X4R 2.4GHz @100mW ....

Navigator
    What does RSSI, Link Quality and Signal to Noise look like? When you test - do a static test with nothing else running, disconnect the VTX to make sure it's not overwhelming the RX antenna. Place the copter in the middle of the field and walk away from it watching RSSI, LQ, and SNR. The valid numbers for those are on page 16 of the documentation.
    When you say "lost signal at 250m" do you mean a failsafe kicked in?
    Do you have another Crossfire RX'r that is getting more range? That would possibly eliminate the TX as a problem.