FPVLAB

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: X-UAV Clouds 1880mm FPV plane - full review / build log / mods

Good news, the low voltage cut off settings on the ESCs worked now, and I was able to fly a lot longer this time! The flight lasted about 104 minutes, and that is whole 34 minutes over the longest flight with the LiPo battery, which was 70 minutes, so we have here a roughly 50% flight time increase for a mere 100 grams increase in battery weight! Distance covered was 84kms! This plane flew longer than the EVE-2000, and that was my longest flying plane until now! The Clouds is the new duration leader amongst my planes now!

Will charge up the battery tomorrow and will be able to calculate average cruise amp draw for this flight, but the weather was very calm with absolutely no turbulence, so I think it will be low! The flight lasted so long that by the time the battery's voltage dropped it was pitch black at the field! First time that ever happens to me!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	421.7 KB 
ID:	77396 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	683.8 KB 
ID:	77397 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	728.9 KB 
ID:	77398 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	576.9 KB 
ID:	77399 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	563.9 KB 
ID:	77400

How many mAh do you use in 6S for your Clouds?

The battery I used to fly with was 6S 6600mAh and was about 800 grams. Right now I am flying it with a LiIon 6S 10500mAh pack, which weights around 900 grams.

Not problem for balancing at 29cm from the nose? Do you have a picture of the battery location?

Quote Originally Posted by Franckdu29 View Post
    Not problem for balancing at 29cm from the nose? Do you have a picture of the battery location?
    Balancing is not a problem. Just adjust the new battery to get the CG correct and you are good to go. I do not have a photo of where the new battery is... but that would depend on battery of choice as well as other gear and where it is placed on the plane.

A little update on the Clouds now! Some of you may have noticed a peculiar lack of Clouds flights recently, and there is a good reason for that! A while back I replaced my Micro OSD (https://goo.gl/jSBC8I) with the supposedly much better PlayUAV OSD (https://goo.gl/3AbCoE).
    Right after the change I noticed some interference coming into the video feed from the servos, and also there was an overall jumpiness of the signal even without the servos! I was left with the impression that the Micro OSD was the more sensitive one and the PlayUAV one would be OK with a little interference, but sadly that was not the case. Things were so bad during some flights that my goggles and monitor were actually losing video frame sync and my DVRs would stop recording.

At this point I had tried a number of solutions without much headway. LC filters, re-wiring, and even adding a second battery for the video system did nothing to improve the situation! Flying the plane via FPV was becoming painful mainly because the model was perfect before I installed the new OSD, and it was borderline unusable now!

At some point I got fed up with the situation and asked a friend with a proper oscilloscope to help me go through the system and try and find the source of all these issues... and after 4 hours head bashing agains the wiring in the Clouds, and replacing two PlayUAV OSDs, it turned out that the OSD actually has issues with the signal it is getting from the cameras! We tried it with high quality and expensive cameras, and also with super cheap cameras and both PlayUAV units showed similar problems in that they have a problem with the signal coming from the cameras, and as a result loose sync with the video, which in turn makes the TeleFlyPro OSD loose sync and by the time the signal gets to the ground, the video frames are so out of sync and riddled with so much interference that the DVRs on the my goggles and monitor go absolutely berserk and get a mind of their own!

So, as a result, I ended up putting back the Micro OSD and guess what... all problems were gone! It is just that the Micro OSD can actually handle the signal from the cameras much better than the PlayUAV, so it just works and no interference.

Now, that 4 hour oscilloscope ordeal did show that I would benefit a little by adding a capacitor on the servo line, which I will do, but at least I got my video signal back, and I am now certain my wiring is fine, so should have some nice flights with the Clouds very soon, taking full advantage of my new LiIon battery I have for it!

Name:	osd issues.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	497.3 KB 
ID:	77519

Alright guys, after a summer hybernation period while I was fighting the PlayUAV OSD module, the Clouds is now back in the air with the new LiIon battery, and I have to say... the added capacity and thus improved flight times are really impressive and give me such a peace of mind, and let me do so much more! Video will follow soon!

For those interested you can get the Clouds for 20% off when using coupon code 28FPV or 29FPV during checkout.

Name:	130856AA.MP4.00_00_07_12.Still001.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	489.1 KB 
ID:	77570 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130856AA.MP4.00_03_18_16.Still002.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	446.4 KB 
ID:	77571
    Last edited by Arxangel; 6th October 2017 at 07:02 AM.

Thanks for the videos and comprehensive write up. I found you on YouTube and wound up here. I just ordered this kit for myself.

UPDATE 3 - new LiIon battery and the old OSD

At long last the Clouds is back in the air. After I wasted a lot of time troubleshooting the PlayUAV OSD, I went back to the MicroOSD that works. The problem with the PlayUAV was that it is programmed to expect certain video signal levels from the cameras that are connected to it, and these seem to differ between the cheap run of the mill stuff, and the more expensive high end cameras that are made properly. In effect, it has a problem running with a proper signal from a well made camera, and works perfectly fine with the cheap stuff!

Basically, it expects to see only a positive signal, like the one below (the top of the tape on the left marks the 0v line, above that is positive, below is negative).

And it works fine if the signal is that one! However, if you have a camera that has been designed well, its signal should go into the negative, like this one.

And this is where the PlayUAV starts to really mess things up as it starts to loose sync, which then causes the TeleFlyPro OSD I have in there for the tracker to also loose sync, and on the ground I see a huge mess of jumping lines and images, which at some point leads to a headache!

But don't worry, most cheap pilot FPV cameras we buy from china, like the RunCams, the Foxeer cameras, etc., work perfectly well because they provide only positive video signal levels. The problem for me came from the SJ7 Star I had on the gimbal. Its signal was not going into the negative, but it was higher in the positive than it should be, so the PlayUAV just didn't want to play with it, and since I want to be able to look through it while flying, I had to go back to the MicroOSD, which seems to be fine with it, and a separate video switch.

By the time I sorted this whole OSD mess, I had actually gotten my APM to see the battery voltage, still can't get it to work with the current meter though, and had also acquired the new LiIon 6S3P 10500mAh battery pack for the Clouds, which was only 120 grams heavier than the MultiStar I was using, but had almost 4000mAh more capacity!!!

So, once everything was working properly I went ahead and did some flights with the new battery, and the results were really impressive! The plane's time in the air increased by 50%. This means that now my cloud chasing flights will not consist of 20 min climb, 10 min cloud chasing (just because I am running out of battery), and 10 min to return, but rather I would be able to get up there and stay at least 20-30... or even 40 mins cruising around the clouds, before having to go back! Damn I love this battery!

Last edited by Arxangel; 6th October 2017 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ixiandevices View Post
    Thanks for the videos and comprehensive write up. I found you on YouTube and wound up here. I just ordered this kit for myself.
    Thank you! I am happy to see the stuff I do is useful! I really believe you will love the Clouds once properly setup! It is a dream to fly!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast