FPVLAB

Thread: Giant Octocopter Build!

Giant Octocopter Build!

Hey everyone! I've been inactive for a very long time, oops. Lets put it this way, mini quads didn't exist the last time I posted here, and the zephyr II was still excitingly new. I still have my beloved ZII, and I'd love to know if anyone knows where I could get a chunk of foam for the leading edge of the left wing fuse side. It's all dented in and stuff.

Anyway, here's what I've been up to!

Still dealing with high power damage to the current sensor issues and trust issues as a whole, so.. It's been a while. I've been extra careful due to the expense of it going wrong.

8x 18" rotors, 64Ah 6S lipo battery pack, pixhawk controlled, plus lots of custom gear made for it such as an aux telemetry downlink. Because I can't for the life of me figure out how to inject data into the pixhawk's serial port and get it to send it over it's telemetry, and then be able to work with that custom data on the ground. If anyone reading this knows how to make custom sensors work on a pixhawk, PLEASE. PLEASE. TELL ME. I WILL GIVE ANYTHING.

Watch out trees, here I come~

KD2CHS

Wow, that is nice. I will pm you my gps coordinates, I need a flat of beer delivered . With your zepyher, cut out the bad part and glue in another chunk of foam and then shape it to match.
    "You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve"
    Kid Rock

True! Was mostly being lazy. What kind of foam does the ZII use?

And yeah! It in theory can have a max takeoff weight of 100lbs. Total motor thrust is 118lbs combined.

KD2CHS

Pilot
    Hey ITMan, have you ever considered using a real autopilot, considering the extremely expensive nature of the total flying package? I don't know what your mission profile is, but I can strongly recommend the Cloud Cap Piccolo Nano autopilot.

Cloud Cap autopilots have been used for many years in military surveillance UAVs. I worked at Cloud Cap and was involved in the Piccolo Nano multi-rotor development, functioning as test pilot, systems integration, build and repair, and so on (And let me tell you, testing a brand new set of code on a $20K multi-rotor was STRESSFUL!)

Anyway, PM me if you're interested in learning more.
    Regarding "some" peoples thoughts about Trappy and the FAA and "the sky is falling":

"Perspective. Time to recognize the root cause and not focus exclusively on a single case."

Awesome build bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by ITman496 View Post
    Total motor thrust is 118lbs combined.
    If I go for a good dump in the morning it might even lift me
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

@philthyy The main issue was that I started this build in the christmas of 2014 and at that point, I did not know of anything better then the pixhawk! I figure there is better stuff now, but there is so much in the way of custom boards in there that it would be very difficult to change over now. Also, I went from having an investor to funding it personally, so unless someone wants to give me a cloud cap autopilot, I may be stuck with the pixhawk! I'd certainly be interested in learning more about it though for future builds some day.

@roboforcer Honestly I want to make a bigger one some day and ride it. Something like this

KD2CHS

Oh brother, I'm brewing that idea since my first tricopter with 4 gyros, from the point when multicopters were invented... LOL
    Only I have a bit different view- flat overlapping octo hoverbike. Coax benefit is saved size but loses thrust, where overlapping up to 20% of prop length loses are only tiny but still reduces frame size/weight. I calculated I'd need ~10K $$$ if I want to make it from CF and use 8x 150cc Rotormax motors, but I'd have to divorce my financial adviser first
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

My other idea I wanted to do was a mechanical pitch driven copter with a central gas engine. Or a gas-electric (like a train) driven one for longer flight times. I just don't trust those little gas motors, I'd rather one big built nice motor. And yeah, if I were to seriously build this, I think I'd alter it a liiiiitle to not put me in line with shattering propellers

BOY would it be cool though. Imagine it. I know that amazingdiyprojects did basically what you were saying, but.. his flight controller disarmed and he crashed.

KD2CHS