Thread: Modell Finder for TBS Gemini?

Modell Finder for TBS Gemini?

I am using the Gemini with a Horizon Spektrum DX7 remote and a Spektrum AR6210 DSMX RX. I lost (and found with too much effort) my Gemini a number of times and would like to add a model finder that ideally starts beeping on the push of button on the remote. I would buy another RX if that helps. Any options?

Beepers are ok and easy to install (lots of videos on how to do it if you search YT). But there's times you can't hear it. I use a few other methods. I have a high gain helical antenna on my "RF Explorer' and I RDF (Radio direction find) the FPV video coming from the quad. Easy to track and from over a 1000' away. The other thing I do is attach a Loc8tor tag to the quad (with Velcro). I transfer the tag to whatever quad I'm using. Finds the quad very quickly and easily with little to no effort. Tag is small and light and can be mounted on most quads (however, I've had a hard time finding enough room on a small 120mm quad).

Bear
    Last edited by Meteors63; 10th February 2017 at 02:42 PM.
    TBS Discovery Pro (X2) - Hoverthings FlipFPV - MK Hexa - Blade 350 QX2 AP - Titan Tricopter - Xhover MXP230 Elite CF - Blackout Mini-H - Minion Mini-H - IRC Vortex 250 Pro - TBS Vendetta - Shuriken X1 - Dquad - RotorX Atom V3 - Xhover MXP200B - Phantom 3 Pro

Navigator
    I use the Loc8tor on my Gemini and I like it alot. You still need to get within 2-300 ft for it to work so you need to have an idea of where it went down.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Without help, I can hear my Loc8tor tags from closer to 500' even when the copter is in tall grass. I made a video years ago on the comparison between a UHF beacon and the Loc8tor. In this video, I talk up the beacon as being a clear winner but that was for more long range conditions. Loc8tor tags work very well within it's real world range (and even slightly modified) since you're restricted by the range of 5.8 GHz video anyway. Skimming through the video you can see how I use a parabolic at the feed point to extend the range of the Loc8tor. The one I'm using in the video is a bit large but you can use a much smaller parabolic to help extend it's range for those 'hard to find' moments. A parabolic meant for 5G back-hauls are very small and will really help (but will not give the same range as the one in my video).
    https://youtu.be/rmc3gboiGkI

Bear
    TBS Discovery Pro (X2) - Hoverthings FlipFPV - MK Hexa - Blade 350 QX2 AP - Titan Tricopter - Xhover MXP230 Elite CF - Blackout Mini-H - Minion Mini-H - IRC Vortex 250 Pro - TBS Vendetta - Shuriken X1 - Dquad - RotorX Atom V3 - Xhover MXP200B - Phantom 3 Pro

Thank you both for the ideas. I was hoping for something really low tech and cheap, a beeper that starts with 20 min delay would already suffice. Loc8tor will cost me about 80€ and I have to take care of more batteries.

No problem. FYI, I need to replace batteries for the Loc8tor once every 6 months, and batteries are very cheap too. For me, it's been the vest solution by far. Good luck and I hope you find a suitable beeper for your needs. Cheers.

Bear

I'll second what Meteors63 says about loc8tor's The loc8tor's are super simple to use and work great for things like quads with a limited range of travel... yes they do cost a bit but I look at it as cheap insurance and save a bunch of time I've never had a problem with them. I can remember times before I used tracking devices and lost a craft in the woods.. sometimes I would be searching for an hour or more only to find it less than 30 feet from where I had already looked several times!!!

@Meteors63, I remember when you made that video very informative, in fact I actually recovered a skywalker using the parabolic dish reflector method shown in your video, was out enjoying a slow flight one afternoon and the wind kicked up... next thing I know I lost video and my plane was headed south fast!!! Found it stuck in a tree 3 miles away with the wings broke but at least I got her back

Thanks RonSII. Good to know my method/video has helped someone. Wish I had stuck to my own advice years ago. I have 154 acres and have a number of quads scattered over it still lost (one of them is my TBX Disco Pro). Expensive lessons but now I will not fly without a tag installed and it has saved me many times since. Not only do I have my own quads to worry about but I have teenagers now flying with me too so it's saved their quads too.
    Thanks!

Bear

Navigator
    I second what has been said about the loc8tor. One additional point is that it has its own battery so it will still work if the flight battery is ejected. Your typical beeper or video tracker will not.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk