FPVLAB

Thread: Aomway Nexus V1 Full HD 1080p FPV system - tests and review

Aomway Nexus V1 Full HD 1080p FPV system - tests and review

Hey guys, the other day I received the new Aomway Nexus Full HD 1080p FPV system and in this thread I will review it and post tests of the system.

Starting with some photos now, but will post more in the coming days! The system arrived with a set of antennas... but the antennas seem to be for the 5.8Ghz frequency... and I am hesitant to use them now because I am not sure if they are wrong for the system... or if the system is advertised on the wrong frequency!

Will test the system with a spectrum analyzer as soon as I can to see what frequency it operates on... and will modify the antennas as necessary, so stay tuned!

Looking forward to hearing of your results. It's about time someone released a simple HD in/HD out Transmitter/Receiver, that doesn't need a tablet or app or wifi or some other weird video output (hello Insight 5g), isn't limited to proprietary cameras (hello Connex), or doesn't cut off the picture at a certain distance (hello Connex). Just like the old 5.8 gHz days.... video in, video out. I like it. Waiting eagerly for your results.

Haha, yeah... I know how you feel! Actually I think the Lightbridge 2 can work with any camera and the distance can be quite considerable with some custom antennas... but it does cost A LOT more than this!

According to Aomway transmission power is 500mW... so I am hopeful of the distance... but yeah, will have to wait and see because I haven't even powered it on yet... later today I may put it on a friend's spectrum analyzer to see what's the acutal frequency of the system.

OK guys, here are some specs and some preliminary tests.

Both units are identical in dimentions and they are: 64.20mm wide x 18.70mm thick x 84.50mm tall (90.20mm tall including the antenna connector)
    Rx: 81 grams (w/o antenna)
    Tx: 101 grams (w/o antenna)

I tested the Tx unit with a spectrum analyzer and I am happy to report it outputs around 500mW, so that is about right from what Aomway told me. Bad news is that this thing heats up like crazy, even though the fan is working! It will be OK to fly with in the winter and in colder weather, but during the summer it may prove problematic unless the cooling can be improved somehow! The problem I see with the fan is that it is sucking air inside the unit... the only outlet holes that I can see are around the channel changing switch and the HDMI port... and I highly doubt that is enough! I may have to open up the case and drill a few holes to help with the cooling!

Now... a word on the antennas! I can now confirm that the system operates on the 500-572Mhz band, so the antennas that arrived with mine a definitely NOT for that frequency, but rather for the 5.8Ghz band! That means that after all I will have to make my own antennas...! So a word of WARNING - when you get your system open up the antennas and check if they are very short (like in the photos above), DO NOT use them with this system as there is a fairly good chance that you may burn it out!

And now on changing the channels! I know we are all used to instant channel changing when using the analogue Vtx systems, but this one does not work that way, so do not expect a channel change to be instant! What you do is power off the system, change to the desired channel, power on the system and wait - it takes around 20 seconds for the channel change to take effect and you will see the LEDs acting up, showig it is working. If you change the channel via the dip switches while the system is powered it will not change channels until you restart it... at least it didn't for me.

So... now I have to make some antennas for this and soon I will do some indoor tests, and when it stops snowing outside and the temperatures raise above -20 degrees I will put it on the SkyWalker EVE-2000 and will test it in the field. Only issue I am foreseeing is that there may be some interference with one of the GPS frequencies because the 3rd harmonic of this system is right around one of the GPS frequencies... but we will see about that when we get to flying!

All I can say is... DAMN!

The first test is a fact, and even though it was a ground test... the results are impressive nonetheless!

So... I connected the Tx to my FireFly 6S and the Rx to my TV, and put the Rx on a shelf above the TV. Both units had the antennas I made last night by cutting down some Rlink 433Mhz antennas. Powered both units from 3S LiPos and went for a walk to the next door apartment, and also outside of the building. Keep in mind that this is a brick and reinforced conrete building, and my apartment is on the second floor... on the other side of the building from where I exit into the yard!

Lag is under a second but over 0.5 of a second, but not sure how much exactly because the FireFly was not showing the small second numbers from my phone's display very well!

As for range... later on you will see in the video... but it is seriously impressive! My TV is pretty much at one corner of the building... and I made it outside the building and all the way to the other corner with the video pretty good considering the amount of reinforced conrete, bricks, people, electronics, etc. that were in the way! Not sure how much reflected signal had to do with it... but so far I am seriously impressed and this was with omni antennas... I can only imagine that with well tuned antennas and with a directional on the ground this will give some SERIOUS range once mounted on a plane! Only issue I found was that my FireFly did not want to record in 4k while the HDMI connector was plugged in... should try 1080p next time!

In all honestly it lost the signal when I went behind a second building... but I guess that is too much to ask! The Tx however does get hot... so will need some additional cooling during the summer! It was slow to cool down once I went outside at -12 degrees C! The Rx will also need some cooling in my opinion during the summer! I can also say that the Tx draws some serious power... may have to connect that to the flight pack because otherwise I will have to put a whole new pack on there just for that!

OK guys, here is my final word on the Aomway Nexus! I have to say... I did expect more out of it!

Here is my intial test of the system:

And here are the tests that followed as well as my final assessment: