Thread: Part 107... Fad or Future?

Part 107... Fad or Future?

So I've been on hiatus from the forums. Still flying on my own as usual, along with lots of fishing. Then yesterday my buddy asks me how hard the remote pilots license was to get... To which I replied, huh? What? Pilots license... Hahahahaha, that sounds absurd...

With a few google searches it looks like I'm only a handful of months late to the party. The 107 party that is. I was so frustrated with the lame attempt at "Drone Registration" and all drone news I just stepped out on the forums and have been flying instead. Now it looks like in addition to registering my drone I'm supposed to pay $150 to take yet another test (in addition to the HAM Radio Test) AND go through a TSA check and register!?!

Since this is "old news", nearly 6 months after I guess we were all supposed to have become an official remote pilot, where are we at with all this BS? I haven't stopped flying since the "Sex Offender Registry", oops, I mean "Drone Registry" came about. Is this the new thing everyone is doing, or is this the same garbage as the first registration that nobody did. Are people just waiting for next year when it will all just change again? What say you internet people?

Ron,

Looking at that first thread I realized why I got so frustrated reading on this garbage. I'm posted up throughout that first thread following it until I walked away.

So the question remains. If you fly FPV then apparently the government wants you to buy a remote pilots license? Has it not been enough time for anyone to actually answer this question or do people just want to post up damn links to other threads. Seems like a pretty simple question to answer unless it's still unknown?

I assume then every single "racer" is 107 compliant, HAM licensed and marked for life in the registry? Maybe not. Looking forward to a few more links where I've already posted...

I haven't posted in a very long time, but I'm going to try and answer as best as I understand it.

If you are under 250 grams you don't have to register it, and I believe all the rules banning solo FPV etc don't apply (Not certain on that part). If you are using over 25mw of power for vTX you need a HAM license, or if you want to use some of other frequencies than 2.4 / 5.8 such as 1.2 ghz.

To do anything for compensation then you need to be 107 compliant regardless of weight. The line is I believe purposefully blurry for things such as Youtube, so if you're making any real money off of a video taken while flying then you probably need 107 compliance.
    KK4LYL

[QUOTE=HackNFly;823288]If you are using over 25mw of power for vTX you need a HAM license/QUOTE]

Power level is irrelevant, if the VTX is not FCC Part 15 compliant, a Ham radio license or other FCC granted license as applicable is required.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRock View Post
    So the question remains. If you fly FPV then apparently the government wants you to buy a remote pilots license?
    If you wish to fly FPV commercially you will need to comply with the requirements of 107.

I assume then every single "racer" is 107 compliant, HAM licensed and marked for life in the registry? Maybe not. Looking forward to a few more links where I've already posted...
    Technically they need to be, but who knows if they are.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

What about just FPV for Hobby on your own, outside of any clubs such as the AMA, not racing, not flying commercial? It doesn't seem to be very clear. To me it sort of sounds like I'm probably not falling within the regulations no matter how I fly.

What about just FPV for Hobby on your own, outside of any clubs such as the AMA, not racing, not flying commercial?
    Under 336 you need not be a member of the AMA, all that is required to be to be compliant is follow their guidelines.

Now here's where things get fuzzy, while the AMA had guidelines for FPV with a spotter, 336 requires VLOS by definition.

As such that seems to rule out the use of goggles.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

True. The AMA wants a spotter and 336 asks for VLOS with your model which I thought ruled out both a set of goggles or a screen. Essentially 336 says you can fly a model as long as it's not FPV and the AMA says you can fly a model with FPV only if you have a second person...

What about 107? I haven't looked to see what it says specifically about FPV.

True. The AMA wants a spotter and 336 asks for VLOS with your model which I thought ruled out both a set of goggles or a screen.
    While wearing goggles would eliminate VLOS by blocking ones vision the use of a screen doesn't, so until 336 is amended to require the operator to maintain constant VLOS, I don't see how using a screen would violate the definition of hobby use.

What about 107? I haven't looked to see what it says specifically about FPV.
    Last I checked, 107 doesn't allow FPV without an exemption, but that may have changed.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.