Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TBS Discovery Pro IRC 2.4 VTX No Video

was this a used set of plates? wunder if one can purchase a top plate only??
    flyin HIGH

Navigator
    I bought the frame from an RCG member that said he was selling it for a friend and that it was assembled but never flown. So I'm not sure if something went wrong while he was installing or un-installing his gear or during shipping (For shipping, the frame was taken apart, and each frame half was put back in it's original bubble wrap padding and the gimbal was left assembled and put in more bubble wrap and the flame wheel arms where all put in the original Disco box, then put in a shipping box, and arrived in okay shape) or if it even worked properly to begin with or what happened.

I did see on another thread that you can get a new top plate for $120+ shipping but hopefully TBS will replace the faulty board. But if not, that's bad news for the guy who sold it to me as he is stuck in the middle of it and it will be between him and his friend.

I was lookin at that 1 too on RCgroups. you bought that not too long ago? good that you figured it out but sucks big time you need to invest more cash. ive been stung a couple times buyin used myself. but have also done very well with most buys.
    flyin HIGH

Navigator
    Yeah, I bought it on the Nov. 22nd.
    I haven't heard from him in a couple days but he said he was trying to take care of it. And I paid for it through PayPal so I'm not too worried about it cuz I will not be the one getting stung here.... Just sucks having to deal with all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewolf8181 View Post
    Actually, that was how I had it wired at first, then to make sure that wasn't the issue, I soldered a brand new set of wires to the board and still the same result.

Hi RiSCyD,
    Thanks for the help. I connected the video where you have it circled and still the exact same results as the video... I get video for the first few seconds, then goes away, and I have to flex/press the board to get it come back.

Ok, then this trace seems to be ok. If both videos, from fpv cam and gopro fails then basically just the 5v supply from the video switch remains. When the video fails do you get 0V instead of 5V at the orange marked point?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no video.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	75568

Navigator
    I get a constant 5v at the orange marked spot with or without video...

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewolf8181 View Post
    I get a constant 5v at the orange marked spot with or without video...
    OK, this is strange then. If both things I mentioned works it must be something obvious/ visible or component which is damaged.
    I can ask you for more things to check but not sure I make you happy with it (checking the video on the input pins of the 8pin IC video switch for example).

If there is no obvious visible fault I guess a new board with some discount would be the easiest way (The board is an older generation one)

Navigator
    The more I test and mess around with it, I'm almost sure that it's one of the components on the board that is having the issue. The part when I first connect power to the board, and I get video for the first 5 seconds and then goes away... 5 seconds like clockwork. Could almost set your watch to it. It's really weird. I would think if it where any kind of wiring issue, it would make it happen more random and sporadic, that's why I'm leaning towards a component. but I'm willing to test whatever you want to throw at me.

I have studied the board closely under a magnifying lamp for any bad solder joints or anything loose and all looks okay. I have tested to make sure that it wasn't the ground and have tried ground from many different area's; I have made sure I always get video out of the FPV cam and it is always constant; so it's something in between.
    But the guy i bought it from said it was new, never flown? And it's an older generation board?? Hmmm...
    Last edited by Whitewolf8181; 4th January 2017 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Spelling

I would see if trappy would throw a new top plate your way at a discount. TBS is the leader in customer support in my books, and I think that you will find they would be more than happy to help you. I would try opening a support ticket with them maybe?
    flyin HIGH

Navigator
    I was hoping that Trappy would chime in sometime and give his thoughts of what's going on and what he would be willing to do for me...