Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help please Lumenier FM-4006

Navigator

Need some help please Lumenier FM-4006

Hey guys I received my Lumenier FM-4006 motors yesterday from getfpv for my discovery classic and am very excited. I can't wait to get my rig airborne but I am a firm believer in do it right do it once. I just have a short list of questions and am hoping someone can answer them for me.

1- Shawn of getfpv suggested my DJI S420 esc's lack the performance to properly drive the motors and are a bit too heavy. I told him I have some littlebee 30amp esc's in my spare parts box and he said they would do the job. I trust him but I neglected to ask if it's the best I can use. While I am definitely looking for more flight time, I also want some performance. I know those two do not really go together but there has to be a happy medium. I read somewhere that esc's designed for 22 series motors are no good for the 4006. Can someone please tell me if the littlebee30 is the right choice? Or should I be looking at something else?

2-I got myself the lumenier extended g10 arms. Is an 11" prop the largest I can go?

3-is the g10 arm a bad buy given the aerial mob arms are available with infinite selection of props?

4-I am getting mixed specifications as to which battery I can use with these motors. Some sites say 3s-6s and others say 3s-4s. Can I use a 6s?

5- I want to order ceramic bearings and was told 2-4x11x4 is what's in there but once I received the motors I saw it has two different sizes. Can someone please tell me what they actually are?

im sorry for the onslaught of questions but I want to get this bird up in the air asap. I have had this frame for 4 months unbuilt due to issues with the core and now that I finally got it back from TBS I'm itching to finish.
    thanks in advance

Navigator
    You didn't state the KVs, but as it's for a Disco, I'm guessing 740? In that case yes, dump the S420s and go with the LBs or any 30amp ESCs with BLHeli_S. I'm really partial to Aikon SEFMs.

I don't think the g10s are a bad choice as you might run into problems going any larger than 11" props with that high a kv motors, but one way to find out is to play with different setups in ecalc. (this tool has saved ma a LOT of cash)

That being said, I just happen to have a bunch of parts ordered including Disco frame and Aerial Mob arms with 3508 700kv Marspowers and I'm going to try 12" props, so I guess I just contradicted myself hahaha. Mind me asking what issue you had with the core?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by RENOV8R View Post
    You didn't state the KVs, but as it's for a Disco, I'm guessing 740? In that case yes, dump the S420s and go with the LBs or any 30amp ESCs with BLHeli_S. I'm really partial to Aikon SEFMs.

I don't think the g10s are a bad choice as you might run into problems going any larger than 11" props with that high a kv motors, but one way to find out is to play with different setups in ecalc. (this tool has saved ma a LOT of cash)

That being said, I just happen to have a bunch of parts ordered including Disco frame and Aerial Mob arms with 3508 700kv Marspowers and I'm going to try 12" props, so I guess I just contradicted myself hahaha. Mind me asking what issue you had with the core?

Renov8r
    thank you for the response. Yes it's the 740kv. I'm kicking myself for not ordering the Amob arms but am hoping getfpv has a lax return policy although I like the way the g10 arms look. They also have a phenomenal price on the 11x5 graupner e props. Something like $3-$4 bucks so it's worth giving the 11's a go.i am going to ecalc tonight and give it a whirl. Do you know by any chance if I could run the 6s? Or what size bearings in the motor.

once I soldered the core to the frame and used my cont meter I was getting nothing on the end of two points. I think it was audio and video. What bugged me was the place I purchased it from put it on me saying I did something wrong and I had to deal with tbs. I shipped it back to tbs along with my bottom plate and they found the core to be defective. They swapped it out and soldered it for me but at the end of the day I paid as much for shipping as it would have cost me to purchase a new core. I'm not mad at TBS though, they were very professional and did a nice job soldering the core and tin. I won't throw the vendor under the bus on the forum but they will never get another dime from me. Right now I have a huge itch to purchase the crossfire, 5 rxs, and the laforge rx and I rather use getfpv or helidirect.

if you can please keep us posted on your results. I'm curious since we're so close in setup. Where are you located? I'm in NJ and finding a flying buddy has proven a bit difficult. The local club is gone and the next best club is geared more towards airplanes. Thanks again

Navigator
    I'm on the other side of the Great Lakes, in London Ontario, but I will do a short build thread. As for the battery, I think 6S would be pushing the limit. Besides, ecalc tells me that with my build using 4S 6000mah lipo with 12" props is within the limits of my ESCs and will give me roughly 20 minute flight times if I'm flying reasonable sane. That's plenty long enough for me. At my age, any longer and I might nod off.

Navigator
    Hahahaha i hear you there. Looks like I'm keeping my arms. No matter which prop I use according to ecalc my mixed flight time is virtually unchanged. With 15" props I'm 10.8 minutes and with 11" I'm actually better at 11.2 minutes. I was really hoping for 15 minutes minimum. I'm not very happy

Navigator
    Did you try playing with battery size (mah) in ecalc? That's where you'll see the most difference in flight time.

Navigator
    Yeah I tried every pack I own plus a few of the choice packs I've been looking at. I know I'm not �� since I am guessing at the weight to be 1750 grams take off weight but since my frame isn't fully built I cannot get an accurate number. I will say that I assembled the arms today and am very happy with them aesthetically. I'm also being a bit melodramatic since I do desire to go far but I'm not sure I would actually fly such an expensive toy miles away. We will see once it's built. I did fly my f550 over and under the George Washington bridge and across from NJ to NY via LOS with no OSD and just a timer. My heart was beating hard and it was just a dot by the time I was over Manhattan but thank the lord for RTH. I lost orientation half the way across and the true reason why I even got that far. I thought it was flying towards me.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1550.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	75500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1551.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	75501

Does them brand new motors have bad bearings? If not then I'll answer your question #5- you will have many many flights before you will have to worry about spare bearings
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

Navigator
    Robo
    No the motors are new but they come with low quality bearings. The difference between the FM-4006 and FX-4006 is just the bearings. According to RC tiger motors customer support rep By replacing the bearings I will increase efficiency and be able to safely use 6s batteries with 12" props and smaller. They obviously want me to buy their bearings and provided me with the part number but have not given me the sizes. My plan is to purchase ceramic bearings now since I have the cash from Acer bearings who seem to have the best prices but not put them in until I have had a chance to run 15-20 packs. This way I can document the birds performance and battery life before and after the bearings.

Navigator
    Does anyone know what would happen if I ran a 6s battery on the FM-4006 motors. T-motor says 6s is fine 12" props and smaller but I just ran the numbers on ecalc and got lots of red flags