Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headplay Diagonal lines with external receiver. ANY FIX?

@Tronski, have you looked at the low and ultra low dropout regulators? I have used them for other projects... mainly 5volt but I am sure someone must make a 6V version otherwise there are adjustable voltage versions. the 5V ones I use some can be as low as .2volt drop from input to output.

Navigator
    I checked for a 6v one on digikey and didn't find any that would work. I had that 6v BEC in my junk drawer so I tried it and the results were similar to using my 18650 battery To power it at 6v. The next step of separating the power out really made it look good and may be all that's needed.

I had a buddy of mine work on this issue for me. I did a mod on my Headplays to pull out the internal vRX and added the Clearview Pro and a DVR (BTW, if once you try Clearview, you'll never go back, well worth the expense). I was powering the Clearview and HPs with the same battery and the lines drove me crazy. He reversed engineered the Headbox and this is what he found:

"There are 2 audio channels and the PCB simply has one Audio In label.

Anyway, I know what the problem is which is that the headplays switching power supplies create a lot of noise on the battery voltage and that the receiver relies on the DC Input ground lead for the video ground. This leaves all the battery voltage noise following through the DC ground lead which generates a noise voltage across the lead (due to its resistance) which then becomes added to the video signal.

There's only 2 ways to fix this. The easiest is to simply use a separate battery to power the receiver, but it would be so much nicer of course to have everything run off the same battery so I'll try to come up with something to use for the second solution, which is to use a filter on the receiver power leads to remove the noise.

As for why the headplay receiver doesn't have this problem - I'm guessing it's because it's powered from the head plays filtered 5VDC output. Switching power supply designs almost always include a filter that filters the output noise to a suitable level, but little attention is usually given to the noise that's generated on the DC input side as it's assumed anything else being powered by the same DC supply will also have a switching supply to supply it with filtered power like your receiver has (in this case, the Clearview Pro), although it doesn't help in this case with same ground being used for both, the receiver DC power and video output ground.

I was a bit surprised to see the video output jack ground not being used, although it wouldn't help much when both, the headplay and receiver, are powered from the same source as the video ground would be tied to the DC input ground somewhere inside the receiver. But for those that decide to use a separate battery to power each unit it would save having to run a ground wire to the DC input ground for the video ground needed rather than being able to simply use the video output cable shield.

Anyway, you may want to pass this on to everyone else that's having this problem to save them a lot of time and frustration as no amount of shielding or moving wires around is going to help and what's needed is to either use a separate battery to power the receiver or a proper filter to remove the noise on the receivers DC input power.

The fix:
    A 100 uH inductor in the power lead to the external receiver clears up 99% of the lines. At first I thought it was 100% but if you look hard you can still see a few real weak ones at times which I believe are from the receiver itself. At least the ones from the headplay switching power supplies are gone."

Thanks to Barry VE6SBS

Bear
    Last edited by Meteors63; 27th March 2017 at 04:00 PM.
    TBS Discovery Pro (X2) - Hoverthings FlipFPV - MK Hexa - Blade 350 QX2 AP - Titan Tricopter - Xhover MXP230 Elite CF - Blackout Mini-H - Minion Mini-H - IRC Vortex 250 Pro - TBS Vendetta - Shuriken X1 - Dquad - RotorX Atom V3 - Xhover MXP200B - Phantom 3 Pro

Navigator
    awesome post meteor! just coming back to update that i could still see too much interference with certain camera settings and it got on my nerves. i bought a 5.8 repeater and pending some test flights, it seems to be a complete fix.

http://www.getfpv.com/fatshark-5-8gh...-repeater.html

Good stuff! I'll be posting a website with detailed description of the fix with pictures. A bit of noise was also coming from my Clearview pro so I may post the fix for that noise too. Cheers.

Bear
    TBS Discovery Pro (X2) - Hoverthings FlipFPV - MK Hexa - Blade 350 QX2 AP - Titan Tricopter - Xhover MXP230 Elite CF - Blackout Mini-H - Minion Mini-H - IRC Vortex 250 Pro - TBS Vendetta - Shuriken X1 - Dquad - RotorX Atom V3 - Xhover MXP200B - Phantom 3 Pro

I have been flying using a 5.8 relay from my 1.3ghz ground station for the last year. I initially started doing that just to avoid the interference when using a hardwired cable, but found I really like the freedom of not being tethered to my ground station. While using a 5.8ghz relay and the internal Headplay receiver got rid of the EMI on the live feed, I was still getting horrible diagonal lines on my DVR, which was powered off the 12v line on the Headplays.

Yesterday I finally go around to re-wiring the DVR, replacing my old bulky Hobbyking DVR with this new Eachine DVR from Bangood: http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-ProD...p-1061196.html

That DVR has the same functionality as the Hobbyking one, but is a lot smaller and takes 5V power, so I was able to power it off the 5V filtered power on the Headplay main board. I wired the video up the same way I had my old DVR with two selector switches: one selecting whether the DVR records off AV1 or AV2, and the other selecting whether AV2 uses the DVR output or the external line-in. I tested it out with a quick Tiny Whoop flight last night, and it looks beautiful. All the diagonal lines on the DVR recording are gone, and now I just have a tiny DVR unit with its own buttons rather than having to have both a bulky DVR box and a remote velcroed on there like I did with the Hobbyking DVR. So much better. I'd definitely recommend this DVR for anyone looking to add one to their Headplays.
    ~Patrick M.

YouTube Channel: youtube.com/user/SerithianFPV

Colorado FPV Pilot and Flying Site Map: mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjYlxx5w300I.kmgDGKOhrMAo

Nice! On the subject of 5.8 to 1.3 video relays, I played around with this some years ago and had some great success with long range. Video here: https://youtu.be/eNfugbu7azE

Bear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12