Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headplay Diagonal lines with external receiver. ANY FIX?

Navigator

Headplay Diagonal lines with external receiver. ANY FIX?

This is one that is documented in a few forums, but there does not seem to be a solution. The issue comes from a internal voltage step down and is increasingly a problem with higher input volts. Meaning powering it on 3S is much worse then 2S. The goggles have a ton of potential because the screen is very nice. Mellow flights are very enjoyable, but dodging branches and quick moments amplify the effect of the lines.

I figured id post up here since a few of you use them and probably have already fixed them. I know IBCrazy uses these and im certain he dosnt put up with a engineering problem lol.

Navigator
    Did some testing last night and I can confirm my issue is tied to voltage. The closer to 6v I go the better it looks. The google and my uno2400 VRX were still working at 5.8V but I think sub 6V operation is a crap shoot when they both list 6V as a minimum.

I am going to try a 6V linear regulator. It should run a bit hot, but I think I can wire it to sit outside the HDMI port with a small heat sink. The other option is a diode but I think thats going to run too hot. In the meantime I use a Titan 2S battery so I can run that on from 7.2-6.2 volts and still have some MAH with it.

This guy captured the issue perfectly in this video.

Navigator
    updating this. I ended up using a 6V bec on 2S with a toroid. it seems to work as well as when I was running the battery input down in the 6.2 range so im happy.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ship-Hobbywin.../dp/B008ZNWOYY

I wanted to use a 6v regulator since they are cleaner power then a bec, but forgot all about the dropout voltage. with a 6v reg you need to input greater then 8 volts. You could use a 2S battery for a few minutes or use a 3S battery and make a lot of heat dropping the voltage in the regulator. So the bec ends up being a better solution and I dont think I am suffering any effects.

implementation was just cutting the power input wires and splicing the bec inline. I ran the wires out the HDMI port and have the bec taped to the side.
    Last edited by Tronski; 14th December 2016 at 12:36 AM.

Navigator
    I got help from someone much more knowledgeable and took it one step further in improvement. I run a battery on the google now and have the power separate from the 2 meter cable. That way power and video signal dont run side by side for 6 feet. video ground is shared with goggle power ground so you will have to hook that back up.

Do you think that the diagonal lines are caused by the interference in the 2m cable from power and video lines too close, or is it still a voltage regulator problem causing it? Driving me crazy as well... Even stopped using them due to this issue. Speechless nobody at Rangevideo even said a word about it.

Navigator
    seems to be a combination of the two. if I were to try is again I would separate out the power first and see if that was enough. That seemed to do even more then adding in the bec, but the bec alone was a improvement. It drove me crazy too, but its fine now. I dont even run any DNR anymore.

Thanks Tronski, I will try the separation first and see how it goes.

I have this problem with mine every time I plug them into my ground station directly and power them from a common battery with my 1.3ghz receivers. I always thought it was caused by something I did to the wiring when I hacked the headplays to wire in my DVR, but if other people are having the same problem maybe not. My solution was to simply put a 5.8ghz relay on my ground station and power the headplays independently (with 3s) and just use their internal 5.8ghz receiver to pick up my relay. That cleared up the video signal.
    ~Patrick M.

YouTube Channel: youtube.com/user/SerithianFPV

Colorado FPV Pilot and Flying Site Map: mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjYlxx5w300I.kmgDGKOhrMAo

Ya, I think it's mainly us ground station users seeing this issue... I have it on any kind of external receiver I use, from 1.2 to 5.8. I was thinking about the separation solution... And haven't tried it yet, but it's funny that when I use my fatsharks with the gs, tethered by a similar cable running both video and power in conjunction at the same cable length, I don't see any lines at all.... Have a feeling the main issue is somewhere in the step down converter...

Navigator
    definitely coming from the Switching PSU and mostly crossing over to the video in the 2M cable. Otherwise the 5.8 internal RX guys would see it. ive only read of one guy that had the lines on both internal and external VRX.

sucks, but I've had video problems in the past I couldn't ever seem to get anywhere with. Those still make me angry lol

I've read the HDMI input looks fine. With a little luck we will all be on that in 2017 while the rest of the group has to purchase yet another goggle upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast