VideoAerialSystems

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VAS Pegasus

Navigator
    Updates? I know you are also working on a Mini Drak. Busy man.

No updates on this one yet. My wife is going out of town next week which should free me up to get SEVERAL projects done.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    I have designed a dual/triple motor conversion kit for this plane. The dual motors will prevent any torque roll. Triple motors, (especially if the center on is a different type) makes a really cool sound.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

I built the Pegasus but am having problems getting it flying. I use a Jetapult to launch all my wings over 2lbs but when I try to launch the Pegasus, as soon as it is free of the bungee, it immediately slams into the ground as if i applied full down elevator even though i have full up on launch. I built it as suggested with the CG 14" from the nose with zero reflex.

Never having built a canard, i dont know what to try to solve this problem and get it flying...

BTW... was just curious, what would happen if the plane was set up with elevons and no elevator?

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Do you have a video? I have never tried to bungee launch a canard. In general, the Pegasus takes very little power to get in the air. It is designed to be a long range cruiser.

If it slams in all I can think of is either your canard is going the wrong way (it should go down to push the nose up) or your ailerons are set down.

The best advice I can offer is to raise your ailerons up some to give the main wing a bit of reflex to it. However do not attempt to use elevon mixing with this plane. It will cause the main wing to stall hard and the plane will spin out uncontrollably.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

I ended up breaking the canard in half and just put it on the shelf. Then about a week ago I thought if it can fly with the canard i bet it can fly without it... so I removed the remaining part of the canard, set it up with elevons, moved the cd back a bit. I bungee launched it and it flew great!

I know the whole idea of the Pegasus is the canard, but having the fuse as a place to put your gear is great!

My Pegasus came out at 47 oz and was able to easily bury a 4 cell 4500mah battery that I have a few of. I have not noticed any bad tendencies even at low speeds. I think i am gonna leave it as is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0071.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	76373
    Last edited by HighSpeedDirt; 19th March 2017 at 05:05 PM. Reason: added picture

I have flown the Pegasus heavy without the canard... tracks good, no low speed surprises, and looks great in the air.