FPVLAB

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: I'm bored

Quote Originally Posted by RonSII View Post
    Wow!!! Oscar really does have a lot of balls.

I am a little disappointed though.... I though for sure the third and fourth pictures would be you boring out the cannons and drilling out the touch hole... you know to keep them as detailed and 'lifelike' as possible ;-)

or maybe you have already done this and didn't want to give away the big surprise ending???
    Instructions shows that them cannons suppose to be brass, but I got the one from pewter so I had to paint them black, AKA cast iron. If I had any workspace I would have powered up my new lathe and made them from bronze, but now I have to use what I have in the box...
    Scale and history wise I don't know what cannons were on Columbus ships, bronze or cast iron, at that era both were around. I'm too lazy to Google it, knocking in as much beer as I can before Osar shows up again and steals my cans again...
    Edit: now I get it what you were saying Yes, making them to fire would be really awesome!
    Last edited by Roboforcer X2000; 23rd January 2017 at 11:18 PM. Reason: I was in rush to get my beer being afraid for it to be stolen...
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

I am not really disappointed Robo... as you put far more detail into this than I ever could... your projects always peak my interests like reading a good mystery novel, I can't wait for the next page!

I didnt know you moved to canada! Whereabouts?
    Get me a Crocodile sandwich. And make it snappy.

Cheers Ron!
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron_gx View Post
    I didnt know you moved to canada! Whereabouts?
    I'm in Salmon Arm BC at the moment, but when school yer is over in summer we'll be moving to Vernon or Kelowna. Salmon Arm is gorgeous but a resort town like this is absolutely dead off the season- no socializing, nothing good is going on as here most of old folks in mobile parks left. And me as well in a mobile park without a workshop as to find a house to rent in Salmon Arm is close to impossible... So I'm just hibernating from RC/FPV/DIY atm and snowboarding in Vernon
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    Derrick:

Ah Robo, move to Alberta. All the cool people are here . Bullshit aside RoboOscar has some amazing talent. I wish I had 1/100th of that. I know what I want something to look like, but I am missing something between my brain and my hands. I have seen lots of modellers from trains, planes, and automobiles and your creations are right up there against the best who have been doing it for much longer than you.
    "You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve"
    Kid Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Beerwiser View Post
    Ah Robo, move to Alberta. All the cool people are here . Bullshit aside RoboOscar has some amazing talent. I wish I had 1/100th of that. I know what I want something to look like, but I am missing something between my brain and my hands. I have seen lots of modellers from trains, planes, and automobiles and your creations are right up there against the best who have been doing it for much longer than you.
    Cheers bro, thanks for heads up!
    Alberta? No... I'm afraid that I'll adopt and I definitely don't want to stop using indicators and start abandoning my vehicle, that for some weird reason Albertians call it "parking"

One last thing left for the deck- drainage pump. To see what kind of scale I'm dealing with here, second pic has a ruler behind. That hinge for a lever is carved from 4x4mm sapely baten:

Now that the hull and decks are finished, the real fun begins- masts and rigging

Derrick:

The messing begins:

Derrick:

Getting masts ready, the fun was to sand them to conical shape 1mm smaller diameter at the ends:

I made the holes for them a bit loose so I can adjust all the angles precisely. Using rubber bands I dry-fitted the masts, ...

...so I can do mast strengtheners at the decks, ...

...and later on glue them in their places:

Proper rigging, no cheating or cutting corners

~120 hours in to this build and here's what she looks like now:

For the ladders instructions say that I should rig the main mast first and start tieing the ladders on the boat itself, but once again I'll do things the easier and faster way (translates as: MY WAY! )- I'll do them flat on a board with a cardboard template and attach them later:

6 lines, by 42 steps 5mm apart, by 2 ladders, leaves me 504 knots of tedious knitting with two tweezers, so see yas in a month or two...
    (I'll probably have one ladder done tomorrow )
    Derrick:

Pilot
    This is epic! The ladder seems fiddly, but I bet you know how to do it.

Here's them ladders
    I pinned the threads down and started "knitting":

Pinned down half way not to lose the lines, and after 5 hours (for one ladder) we're done:

Before rigging them I brushed on some diluted glue to eliminate fluff from threads and to lock the knots:

Time to do the sails, but first, let's make some tea:

Sails were never white back in those days, and the weathering trick to replicate wear and tear on them is to soak for few mins in tea. Another trick to make them look like they're blowing in the wind is to spray water and potato starch solution and leave them to air dry with a boat hanging nose down. But that's being done when the boat finished 100%.
    Derrick:

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast