Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RANT

Navigator

RANT

Seriously?

I almost emailed them back...but self preservation (pussy) decided not.

"DO NOT FLY NEAR HURRICANE RESPONSE EFFORTS
    Anyone, including hobbyist or recreational fliers, who interferes with disaster response efforts is subject to civil penalties of up to $32,140 per violation and possible criminal prosecution. ..."

$32,140... where the hell did they come up with that number?

But what's really stupid is the lack of realism that private UAV's can help and possibly even save lives. With minimum coordination.
    Airborne Idiot!

Navigator
    Addendum:
    FAA Chief should be saying (IMO),

UAV register''s, we have an emergency situation with hurricane Mathew. Please help and provide aerial video and report to local authorities of person's potentially in a life threatening situation after the storm. Also to insure safety and maximize recovery efforts, stay below terrain limit plus 50 feet max. And use your spotters to help decide if rapid decent is required to give way to Government aerial vehicles.

And the potential exists for individuals in the public to actually go recover someone, with self decided risk of course.
    Airborne Idiot!

The old adage "if you can help, help; if you can't help, do no harm" would seem to apply here!
    Winter time is for snowmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy View Post
    "DO NOT FLY NEAR HURRICANE RESPONSE EFFORTS"
    If you cannot understand the reason for that, you have no business flying after a disaster hits, period.

But what's really stupid is the lack of realism that private UAV's can help and possibly even save lives. With minimum coordination.
    That statement alone indicates you are clueless to what is involved in a coordinated emergency response to a disaster, in most cases being a self deploying, uncoordinated responder, puts you in a position of being part of the problem, not part of the solution, in other words you will commonly cause more harm than good by being at the minimum a distraction to those of us who are working with the Emergency Management team and reporting back them in a manner as we where trained to do.

And yes we understand the "realism" that private UAV's can help out, which is why we have them ready to deploy after a disaster, in a coordinated manner.

If you want to get involved and be part of the solution and not part of the problem, then contact your local Emergency Manager/Director, CERT and or your local ARES emergency Coordinator and get involved and get the training required to be part of the team.

http://www.arrl.org/ares

https://www.fema.gov/community-emergency-response-teams

Wayne
    WT4FEC
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy View Post
    And the potential exists for individuals in the public to actually go recover someone, with self decided risk of course.
    And then you get in over your head and tie up even more of the already stretched to the max first responders, who have to dispatch out and help you.

Do everyone a favor, either get involved, get trained and work coordinated, or if you are unwilling to do that, then please stay home and watch the news and stay the hell out of our way.

Wayne
    WT4FEC
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Channel 1 View Post
    then please stay home and watch the news and stay the hell out of our way.
    Classic Wayne. Lives on the forum, but pretends like he is mr. important busting his ass on a recovery team. Better stay out of his way as he monitors the forum 24/7. You know it shows us when you are online right?

Quote Originally Posted by Steezus View Post
    Classic Wayne. Lives on the forum, but pretends like he is mr. important busting his ass on a recovery team.
    If you had a clue, which you don't, you might understand I do a lot of volunteer work for my community.

For example videos of CERT training exercise's.

Another would be, while we didn't get hit by Matthew, once I discovered the ARES EOC control couldn't hit the Clewiston repeater and after I had my shutters up, I set up a temporary VHF base station here in Pioneer connected to my 2 meter Omni and stood ready to relay traffic from the EOC to Clewiston as the hurricane approached and passed using my cross-band repeater to communicate with EOC control and my temp base for Clewiston.

Oh yea by the way my cross-band repeater is open and provides any Ham in my community the ability to utilize 70 cm handhelds to link up to the VHF EOC repeater, versus requiring a base station or a high powered mobile and I built it out of my pocket for all to use.

In case you didn't know it, being able to use handhelds provides a major advantage for those involved in SAR.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIO.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	74761

Name:	CB1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	74762

Name:	CB2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	74763

And to further improve Amateur Radio communications and weather monitoring out here, I am in the process of building not one, but two towers, one will support the repeater functions and the other will support (if I can work it out) our own local weather RADAR, plus HF as well.

Plus since where we live is the lightning capitol of the U.S., I am also working with my local ARC, volunteering my time and money helping them to improve and harden their communications systems and have and will to continue to provide for them the best engineering practices for lightning and surge protection that I can, based on my LPS/Grounding and bonding experience I developed working for a tier 1 cellular carrier.

So, since you broached the subject, what have you done lately to help out your community to be better prepared for a disaster?

Or do you just bitch about those who do?

Wayne
    Last edited by Channel 1; 20th October 2016 at 08:17 PM.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

You know it shows us when you are online right?
    Really, wow what a discovery.

Since I telecommute as a wireless engineer, it's common for me to have multiple windows open on different screens while working including this site, add to that my e-mall and Que must be open should I miss something I am monitoring, so it is not uncommon for me to quickly see a reply to a post I have just made.

Do you do know when someone replies to a post, this site will send out a e-mail?

Just asking.

Wayne
    Last edited by Channel 1; 20th October 2016 at 07:56 PM.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Channel 1 View Post
    So, since you broached the subject, what have you done lately to help out your community to be better prepared for a disaster?

Or do you just bitch about those who do?
    I have an antenna array made of coat hangars hanging in my closet. I let local sar comm teams use it to extract lost people who have fallen into local tar pits. We are the tar pit strike capital of the world. I motivate local leaders to elevate tar pit strike awareness through living on forums 24/7 with MULTIPLE windows open on my gsm flip phone while expounding new lengths of string theories.

So just a warning to you to stay out of our way as we rescue tar pit strike victims as I advance learnings and dealings of string theory essence.

So just a warning to you to stay out of our way as we rescue tar pit strike victims as I advance learnings and dealings of string theory essence.
    It took you quite awhile to think that one up didn't it.

In other words, to answer my question, you do nothing useful to better prepare your community for a disaster, which is what I figured.

And is typical for a self centered bottom feeder.

Wayne
    Last edited by Channel 1; 21st October 2016 at 06:56 AM.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast