Thread: What the difference Lipo 3s1p vs 3s2p

What the difference Lipo 3s1p vs 3s2p

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this post already has been an answer or not but yet I would like to try my luck here....

I'm in dilemma in between lipo that's need to get soon. Lipo multistar with different price 3s1p 10c 5200mah and 3s2p 10c 5200mah. The 3s2p ciat a little bit and weight around the same with the other.

My question what the advantages between these 2... ...
    Thanks Yaa

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

The second letter (S/P) refers to the wiring configuration of the cells. S = Series. P = Parallel.

Wiring in series increases voltage (3.7+3.7+3.7=11.1v) but wiring the same cells in parallel would still just give 3.7v but with, in theory at least, 3 times the amp output capability and of course 3x the capacity of a single cell.
    youtube.com/channel/UCM9fX_ZdQtg2bSl_Y37oiFw

Hitting trees, through the trees.

Hmmm...have you experience this type lipo...my theory say 3s2p much better than 3s1p if the weight not that much different...

Only this it cost a little bit...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Not positive but it may be better because the parallel cells will have a higher maximum discharge (C) rating.

2p (two parallel) from the battery manufacturer is worse than 1p. You want your batteries to come 1p. It's kind of a dick maneuver on the manufacturer to sell batteries in 2p configuration. You are basically buying a Frankenstein battery.

If you are talking about multistar 10.4 2p well that's different because Hobbyking only sells 5.2 batteries (not 10.4).

When people say that they fly 3s 10.4ah multistar they are telling you that they are chopping the battery wires on their 5.2 batteries and soldering them together. 5.2 x2 batteries in parallel = 10.4.

They chop up a battery this way because a 5.2ah battery will discharge 5.2 amps for an hour a 10.4ah battery will discharge 10.4 amps for an hour*. Since 5.2ah is the largest 3s multistar on the market they need to parallel a few of them together to get longer flight times.

*terms and conditions apply
    Last edited by parajared; 20th January 2017 at 10:50 AM.

Not positive but it may be better because the parallel cells will have a higher maximum discharge (C) rating.
    Maximum discharge is calculated by multiplying the C rating x the ah rating.

So with your 5.2 ah 10c battery 5.2 x10= 52 amps. You have a battery that allegedly will work under 52 amps of duress shall we say.
    10.4ah 10c = 104amps of discharge.

Also if you exceed ~15% of your maximum discharge you start seeing less battery time out of your flight. So with your 5.2ah 10c battery (the battery capable of discharging 52 amps) If you exceed 8 amps (this is 15% of your discharge rating) you won't get the full 5.2ah out of your battery.

Cold days are worse, if you fly in the snow expect that number to drop down to 7-10% if you are using LiCo (the typical hobby stuff) and worse yet with special batteries like Li-ion, li-aluminum, Life, LifePo4.

That makes sense, thanks for the correction.