Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: TBS UNIFY PRO 5G8 HV - RACE (SMA)

Is there anyway to select the lorace band besides the core pro?Hopefully using the button.Betaflight osd has not added this yet and not sure if they will due to the legality question.
    Most of the money I made this year I spent on FPV,the rest I just wasted.

Trappy I'd love to see a future version of this video tx that accepts an input from the RC rx to control video power output, (from your radio). Be nice especially to keep it in low power out and in flight pump it up when you start to lose the video. Avoids over heating as well (when not in flight easy to keep in low power state) and don't have to remember the menu structure which while a seemingly easy task, is easily forgotten when you have too many toys from too many different companies ;-). You could also control video frequency (a few preselected channels) if you wanted to. Good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyincali View Post
    Is there anyway to select the lorace band besides the core pro?Hopefully using the button.Betaflight osd has not added this yet and not sure if they will due to the legality question.
    lorace is included in the UNIFY PRO RACE as the 6th band.

Quote Originally Posted by billyd View Post
    Trappy I'd love to see a future version of this video tx that accepts an input from the RC rx to control video power output, (from your radio). Be nice especially to keep it in low power out and in flight pump it up when you start to lose the video. Avoids over heating as well (when not in flight easy to keep in low power state) and don't have to remember the menu structure which while a seemingly easy task, is easily forgotten when you have too many toys from too many different companies ;-). You could also control video frequency (a few preselected channels) if you wanted to. Good idea?
    it already does accept input from your remote control. all you need to do is a bit of LUA scripting to provide access to switches for VTx-changing functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Trappy View Post
    lorace is included in the UNIFY PRO RACE as the 6th band.

it already does accept input from your remote control. all you need to do is a bit of LUA scripting to provide access to switches for VTx-changing functionality.
    OK wow cool. I have no idea what LUA scripting is but google is my friend and I will see what I can do...

Quote Originally Posted by billyd View Post
    OK wow cool. I have no idea what LUA scripting is but google is my friend and I will see what I can do...
    Well even if I could program this I wouldn't know the parameters that would need to be altered to achieve desired results so I will wait and hope someone that has that knowledge will do it (e.g. TBS!)

the OpenTX part of the project is beyond our control. LUA scripts should be fairly easy to write, there already are scripts out there so it's just modification. if you find a OpenTX forum and request it I'm sure someone will be able to help.

the scripts are available. I have a similar script for the tramp on my kiss quads. Its a shame they didnt release the firmware for unify at the same time.

Anyone mounted this vtx in a foam wing? Mine is embedded in the foam and covered over with tape. It is fine while in flight, but quickly overheats on the ground and cuts out if I don't take off immediately. Not good for racing as I can't always just take off!

In hindsight, its no wonder it overheats so quickly! My question is this: could I just mount a heatsink on the vtx (like the one pictured below) and still leave it embedded in the wing? Or do I really need to remove the tape covering the hole in the foam? (race wing - trying to keep it as clean as possible!)

thanks!
    Jason

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S36-0115P01WM.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	76838
    KK4HDH

It will overheat without airflow if you have it at 800mw. That is why I was looking for rc control of the power output so you could run it at a lower power level until airborne.

Barring that you could mount a dc fan to the heatsink. But that's more weight and power consumed taking away flight time. Maybe the heatsink by itself will be enough. Only way to know would be to try it. Of course it will depend on the day's temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by JBeloncik View Post
    Anyone mounted this vtx in a foam wing? Mine is embedded in the foam and covered over with tape. It is fine while in flight, but quickly overheats on the ground and cuts out if I don't take off immediately. Not good for racing as I can't always just take off!

In hindsight, its no wonder it overheats so quickly! My question is this: could I just mount a heatsink on the vtx (like the one pictured below) and still leave it embedded in the wing? Or do I really need to remove the tape covering the hole in the foam? (race wing - trying to keep it as clean as possible!)

thanks!
    Jason

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S36-0115P01WM.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	76838

I ordered these from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are cheap and work great with the unify pro. They are bigger but that provides even more cooling.

Here it is installed on my mini drak. The heatsinks come with two sided thermal tape that's very strong. I removed the shrink wrap to improve conductivity. But make sure the antenna connector doesn't pop off if you remove the heat shrink. I added some goop on top of the supplied adhesive to make sure the connector doesn't come off.

ps Ran it at 800mw on the bench for 10 minutes with no forced airflow over the fins and it didn't overheat. So that's plenty of time prior to takeoff. Even on a hot day outside it should be ok, because there's almost always some wind outdoors, no wind in my shop!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00438.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	76866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00440.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	76865  
    Last edited by billyd; 10th May 2017 at 11:31 PM.