Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The epitome of crazy

Navigator

The epitome of crazy

I wish I could have taken pictures of what I saw with my own eyes today. Just mere mayhem of what this hobby does to you. I have been in negotiations with a multimillionaire for the last month trying to secure a huge lot of projects and he has been on the fence to give me the work. I have proven I am beyond qualified, my price is right and every curveball he has thrown me I have thrown right back. He even brought his lawyer to the last meeting to pick apart my contract and it turned out his lawyer is a brother from an organization I belong to and he even told him that if I am a member he already knows my life has been scrutinized and if I am worthy of belonging then I am the man for the job. What ended up finally pushing the work in my lap was his crazy addiction to quadcopters. Since our last meeting he brought his entire collection to his office and on my way out I saw an f450 sitting on a table and got talking to him and that's when I saw something I just couldn't believe. He has no knowledge of how to repair them so when he crashes one he just buys another one. He has no lie 200+\- crashed quads, new quads, quads I have never even heard of. He had quads from Israel and Europe that just look massively expensive. He had this small quad like the hubsan x4 but it was amazing. It came with goggles and a really cool remote. He had at least 60 radios all of which could hold many models but he just cannot control himself. I asked him if he had seen the DJI mavic and he looked at one YouTube video and within minutes it was ordered. I have never seen anything so crazy. I offered to fix his collection and make it useable but after I offered I realized it would take me a solid year working nonstop to consolidate everything into a good radio and fix all the damaged quads. He has 3 broken yuneeq typhoons and one that flies. All in all I counted no more than 10 that are ready to go, the rest need to be repaired. Can you imagine breaking a prop and just ordering a new quad because you can't fix it.

I can build and fix quads and planes with my hands tied at the back, but can not do that to my wife. If only I had that much money, I'd be ordering a new one every week... even if not broken, just to have few spares lying around in the basement...
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Omar157 View Post
    Can you imagine breaking a prop and just ordering a new quad because you can't fix it.
    Yes, I know people who have had a problem with a less then a year old $45K truck and just abandoned it roadside and then go and buy a new one.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Pilot
    Sounds like a mess. I wouldn't get involved in this mans feeble attempts at the hobby.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Håvard Støre View Post
    Sounds like a mess. I wouldn't get involved in this mans feeble attempts at the hobby.
    Hahaha he called me and ended my 10 months of bs work. I have been doing small projects that pay the bills for the last 10 months and now I have solid employment for me and my crew for a solid year with hopefully more to come. Who would have thought the hobby was the common ground I needed. It is a poor attempt and who needs all that. I didn't mention in my original post that he has more helicopters than quads but I didn't physically see them but I don't think he's lying. He also told me I can have any of the broken quads of which the inspire is in that pile but I don't think I would take it. I feel like I would owe him something. What do you guys think? Should I bring it home or go with my gut. I can always expense it out but free is free.

LOL I work for a man who is exactly like this guy. almost 20yrs now. was fun watching him the first 5yrs. now it makes me sick to my stomach. pays the bills though
    flyin HIGH

Quote Originally Posted by Omar157 View Post
    What do you guys think? Should I bring it home or go with my gut. I can always expense it out but free is free.
    I don't think 'free' is ever free. In this case, your associate/employer clearly has more money than sense.

I would offer him X$ for each busted systems you are interested in.
    'X' being variable on the value of the salvage to you, not him.

This guy has a transactional lifestyle/outlook so if the two of you agree on a price, the transaction can go forward.
    If he whines later, or wants to use it as leverage, you can always remind him he agreed to the price.
    I wouldn't trade it off for work either. Those situations can become open ended quickly.

-=Doug
    KB4FEM

from my experience with my boss just like him, I would leave them there. wealthy people don't get that way from being nice. I once took a personal loan from my boss about 9yrs ago to get through a divorce. INTEREST FREE he said. boy do I wish I went to a loan shark on that one. ever since then my loans and credit come from the bank. ill pay double interest if I need to, never again have I asked him for anything and never will. just give me my paycheque for the work I do. I don't even buy lottery tickets anymore after seeing what happened to this man when $ came into the picture. I not interested in any money that I haven't earned the good ole fashioned way after watchin this fella I tell ya.

just like doug said^^, don't trade off for work in exchange, you will be better off buying a brand new one. cheaper in the long run eh
    Last edited by doobie; 2nd October 2016 at 05:09 PM.
    flyin HIGH

Quote Originally Posted by rdstarwalt View Post
    This guy has a transactional lifestyle/outlook so if the two of you agree on a price, the transaction can go forward.
    If he whines later, or wants to use it as leverage, you can always remind him he agreed to the price.
    I wouldn't trade it off for work either. Those situations can become open ended quickly.

-=Doug
    Good advise, the guy is a deal maker, once the deal is done he moves on to the next one never looking back, with one exception, if you are seen as weak going into the deal, (trade for work) he will never let you off the hook knowing you need him more than he will ever need you.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    from my experience with my boss just like him, I would leave them there. wealthy people don't get that way from being nice.
    It's not about being nice, but being able to separate social from business.

I once took a personal loan from my boss about 9yrs ago to get through a divorce. INTEREST FREE he said.
    No such thing, he, and don't get pissed by my comment, hooked you like a fish, still sort of free but if needed could be reeled in for a favor.

I not interested in any money that I haven't earned the good ole fashioned way after watchin this fella I tell ya.
    That's because it's yours and the unencumbered income, you earned, can be spent without a back-thought of who you owe.

Basically handouts and favors, are hooks and best avoided.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.