Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TBS G2

Curious as to what people will run on the 7 inch "long-range" version for their flight controller. I know the power cube colibri is an obvious choice. But seeing as it would be used as a long range platform GPS modes as RTH seem super important in my opinion. Thinking if running a micro pixhawk clone is an option or maybe an INAV build. Please share your thoughts guys.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliverl96 View Post
    Curious as to what people will run on the 7 inch "long-range" version for their flight controller...
    Interested in this too. Currently I have a QAV-250 stuffed up with a Naza V2 (for the RTH), Core Pro, 2.4gz 800mw unify, ezUHF 433mz rx'r, and an awful DJI mini OSD. It's AUW is a fat-ass 960 grams. With a 1000ma 4S I can get a 4 minute flight easy. The Naza is simple and works great for LR and it was on hand but its GPS antenna and PMU add some weight. However, the micro pix hawk looks very interesting - but I do not think that has an OSD - the eagletree microvector does have a built in OSD. I would like to build something based on the G2 and use a cube and crossfire parts.

To compare, I have another QAV-250 with a powercube, Core Pro, 2.4gz 800mw unify, using a frsky rx'r - 550 grams AUW and that one will go for 5 minutes easy on a 1000ma 4S - and flies like a scalded squirrel.

Navigator
    From the G2 web page description: "7" remains in the air for up to 30mins with a 4S 4500mAh battery.

Im in.

I am about to order one in the coming hours with the same setup as we saw in the video.
    I am not convinced that RTH and autopilot is a must have in the mountains as i plan to fly not too far away (2 to 3 km max). I believe that the crossfire + finding the good place to pilot from will do the job ... at least i hope so ! : So this is the first thing i will try.
    So i am going for a crossfire + powercube + fpvision: that should weight aroung 300gr + 400gr of 4s 4500mAh lipo. So let's see if we can reach the 20 to 40mins of flight as specified !

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium View Post
    I am about to order one in the coming hours with the same setup as we saw in the video....
    I was looking at the fpvision option. Thats 5.8gz right? - I can't find that spec in the documentation, but it seems to be the race version - which is 5.8gz? That's going to limit your range somewhat as opposed to 2.4gz unless someone corrects me. That extreme flight time sounds amazing. Still working on the specs here - i have another Naza V2 in a box - or that eagletree micro is looking good since it has the OSD built in.

Personally I have had some range problems previously in my area so for me the RTH would be a must. But maybe an F3 board with a barometer built in and an external GPS/Compas. This would be perfect for running INAV which would give you modes like position hold and RTH, but seeing as it is a cleanflight/betaflight based FC you could also get amazing acro performance. This together with the FPVision could make an awesome platform I think. I just dont have any previous experience with INAV so I dont know how good it has gotten since the earlier days.

Navigator
    I can't download the canopy do you have the same problem? both links are downloading the hero canopy ?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgroe View Post
    I can't download the canopy do you have the same problem? both links are downloading the hero canopy ?
    Try this: http://team-blacksheep.com/tbs_g2_snoopy_canopy.zip

Navigator
    new build…. parts are now arriving

G2 7” Carbon frame
    HQ 7” 4.5 props
    TBS Powercube
    TBS 1450kv Endurance Motors
    Eagletree Micro FC w/GPS
    Lumenier CMOS-1200 16:9 camera
    TBS Unify 2.4gz vtx
    ezUHF RC rx

My mission for this project is wicked long distance / endurance with the smallest craft possible. After looking at Eagletree, Pixhawk and iNav I went with Eagletree because of the micro size, built in OSD, voltage monitoring, GPS waypoint following, and maturity. iNav sure looks interesting tho. The plan is to lop the TBS flight controller off the cube and swap in the Eagletree vector FC. It will require taller standoffs since the pins for the top ESC board in the stack are meant to plug into the TBS flight controller and prevent the Eagletree from sitting flush on the existing standoffs. I'll have to print some weird cage to hold the camera and the VTX.

I’ll start with a smallish battery and work my way up to the biggest thing it can lift and fly with. Going to use ezUHF for now because I have an extra one on the bench here - will probably move to the Crossfire when it’s back in stock.

What's the recommended material to print the Snoopy pod from?
    Does anybody see any location to fit the RX?