Thread: Multiple lipos in parallel?

Multiple lipos in parallel?

I'm building a huge long range FPV plane and it's going to have about 6 lipos in parallel.

I was wondering if one of those 6 port parallel boards for charging would work in reverse? It would look a lot cleaner than using a bunch of Y cables necking 6 batteries down into one connection to the current sensor.

The system will only be pulling 40-60 amps peak.
    Last edited by Steel-W0LF; 12th September 2016 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel-W0LF View Post
    I'm building a huge long range FPV plane and it's going to have about 6 lipos in parallel.

I was wondering if one of those 6 port parallel boards for charging would work in reverse? It would look a lot cleaner than using a bunch of Y cables necking 6 batteries down into one connection to the current sensor.

The system will only be pulling 40-60 amps peak.
    You would probably be better off building your own method of paralleling the batteries.

Personally I wouldn't trust a charging breakout board for flight use.

Another thought might to just build a battery of the capacity required instead of trying to mix and match batteries.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Yes, it will work, however I think that you would be much better served by making a "squid" and only using the main power lead. Make sure that you size the singular output appropriately to handle the current, each battery is only outputting around 10amps at max... but the main lead has to handle the full 60amps.

Alternatively you can buy something like this... and replace the bullet connectors with one of your choice.
    https://www.amazon.com/Parallel-6x-X.../dp/B00CDANTEY

This cable is what I use for charging my batteries in parallel... the wires do get warm when I pump the current through charging my big batteries at 30amps (so it probably won't handle 60amps). You could easily make something like this though with the gauge sized appropriately.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Trying to solder my own is what prompted me to look for other options. I'm not that good at soldering yet and was running into problems trying to heat the wire and connector up hot enough for it to bond with a thick wire when all the connectors are right next to each other. I was trying to create a bus bar of sorts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	74312

I do it ok when it's just a wire into a single connector. But with all the connectors side by side my only thought is that all the connectors touching like that pull the heat away to rapidly. I could make a squid type connector without problem with my soldering skills, or lack thereof. But was hoping this would work to avoid all the rats nest of wires. Guess that's what I'll do though.

Thanks for the input.

Navigator
    There are some very nice distribution boards out there. I would recommend using them.
    But, if your peak current is max 60 amps, why 6 batteries in parallel?
    Your setup with multiple batteries will be heavier and will many more points of failure. Especially if you are not that good at soldering
    Applied Photography - christiangruner.com - filmcopters.com

Looks like you need an iron with more wattage.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Navigator
    You could keep your wiring a little cleaner by first using 3 of these to combine your packs into pairs.

Name:	23132.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	74827

you could connect two of those pairs together with one of these and then use a 4th one like above to connect the third pair in. Not sure of the capacity on these wires though. Doesn't seem to be listed on HK.

Name:	601Bx601A-2PP.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	74828
    Last edited by fire_boy92; 26th October 2016 at 02:37 PM.

The more expensive paraboards usually have a 40A fuse, so if you pull more that could blow and kill all power. The cheaper ones with no fuse have a ??? rating before a trace burns. Sounds pretty sketchy to me.

I've had a few of the no-wire double battery plugs fail on me, I don't trust them anymore as they appear to use a solder that's very brittle on a joint that's got no support besides the bit of heat shrink. The ones I inspected that failed looked like they used solder paste and heated it along with the heat shrink so the joint ends up very poor quality.

One trick for soldering large wires together is to use some flux, wrap them tightly with a short length of solder wire, then apply heat with a tinned tip. Here's a longer post I wrote on soldering that may give you some other pointers.

Just a guess from the picture, but it looks like you didn't use flux, and didn't tin the XT-60 terminals before trying to solder. Some fine stranded 10 AWG silicone wire will work better than that stiff house wire you're using also. Stiff wire will break solder joints when moved often, such as connecting and yanking a bunch of cells. Then it could short across the terminals and your expensive bank of batteries goes up in smoke along with your plane.

Oh, and when soldering battery connections like the XT-60, plug in the opposite side to keep the pins aligned or the heat can melt the plastic and cause them to loosen or move.
    Last edited by Fyathyrio; 27th October 2016 at 02:41 AM.