VideoAerialSystems

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sphinx 27" build

Sphinx Build At Flite Fest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2195.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	376.1 KB 
ID:	77209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2194.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	366.2 KB 
ID:	77210

Picked up two at Flite Fest East this weekend, my 10 yr old is burning this one up. Thanks a lot Alex for putting up with my son, he won't quit talking about it.
    30 amp ESC
    9 gram servos
    Spektrum AR6115E Rx
    1300 3s
    EMAX 2306 2400 KV
    5 x 4.5 prop
    Go very light on paint, every1 oz on tail needs 3 oz on nose to correct
    5.750 CG
    3/16 up reflex, 3/8 throw 90-20 DR Expo
    added 3 layers of 5 mil laminate to leading edge
    Just a little tail heavy I'll take off the nose weight when I add FPV gear.
    On the maiden flight it shot out my hand like a rocket. Full throttle with a hard throw.

Navigator

Finally managed to record a flight on the DVR. What I didn't realize was that I damaged that motor pretty badly last time when I 'landed' at full speed and slid about 50 meters along the road, so the motor sounded terrible when I went to launch it and only gave me about 50% power. I'll retire that motor now and frame it. It has survived a lot of abuse and is a real testament to the RCX motors. They may not be the most powerful/efficient, but I've abused the crap out of them, both on this wing and my quads. This one already had most of the coils blackened from overheating and would still deliver decent power.

Navigator
    Looks like its been a couple months since last post on thread so hope someone will take a look. I have a Banshee and fly the crud out of it (and crash the crud out of it) with another one being built. I'm looking for either the Sphinx or the Micro Wraith as my next build since I have all the electronics for it and they look super fun with the small size. I plan on most of the flying t be be done through trees and such so I was wondering which plane you guys prefer. I want to stick with VAS since the products are so well made and I have never had issue with any of IBCrazy's stuff. Which can be flown slower for tight maneuvers through trees? Heck, I may just have to buy both! I plan on using 3s took keep the wight down which helps with the slower flight.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    If you have a Banshee already, get the Sphinx. The Wraith and banshee are very similar. The Sphinx is a "hold my beer and watch this" type of plane. Laminate it well, build it light and the plane is almost indestructible.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Navigator
    The Sphinx arrives tomorrow. It will have laminate, EMAX 2205 2600kv, 30amp esc, metal servos, spectrum 6210 rx, IRC Tramp Tx with VAS/TBS Triumph stubby/Foxxeer Monster V2 and some coroplast winglets/camera protection. I will be using 3s for now and will look into getting some 4s, maybe. Want it light as possible for all around handling. Debating on painting it to keep it as light as possible. How much weight do you think paint will add? Expect to maiden it Thursday if it does not rain.
    Likely going to get a Wraith Micro soon with similar setup.

Navigator
    Well, Fed Ex showed up at 4:00pm and not the normal 10-11am so I’m well behind. I have half painted and all the parts ready for install. I’m opting for the “X” motor mount so I can easily change motors if needed. I cut the elevens off the center pieces and realized that one was shorter. Looks like the eleven and center piece were not quite right. I took the other pieces and cut them to fit then used the welders glue to put it together. It’s not perfect but I think it will work fine as I just have to make sure I get the motor mount even when gluing it on. At this time I have an all up weight of 325g. That excludes paint and laminate. I might be able to tape and paint the rest of it tonight. If not it won’t fly till Friday.

Navigator
    Attachment 77605

Well, she flys! Looks like I might be talking to myself but here goes. Took 3 launches and two hard nose in landings to get it trimmed and proper DR/expo set. I should have just left DR and expo alone and it would have been perfect first time launch. I actually increases both after bring her down after maiden. Took it up again and now had more authority on elevens so in mid flight I decided to go to fpv. The Sphinx flew pretty well considering it was real windy here today. It definitely got tossed around the higher I flew. Made some low passes along with loops and rolls. Getting CG correct was real B@#)! I had to add 50g of lead to the front with my 3s 1300. AUW is 480! I may try bring it down a little at a time to but I think CG is spot on because on during flat, level flight at 1/2 throttle I can take hands off. Id love to be able to get rid of the added weight but only time will tell.

Navigator
    Mine was 500 grams, although I later managed to remove most of the lead in the nose, so probably ~470grams with a 1000mAh 4S lipo.