Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question regarding Choosing Wire Thickness

Quote Originally Posted by jckmcgraw View Post
    Hi Everybody,

I have a Turnigy 2s 3300mAh, and I want to throw a JST connector on it to easily connect it to the TBS Core PNP25. My flying wing doesn't exceed 12A. I have a bunch of JST connectors with 22AWG wire lying around, which unfortunately cannot take 12A. I only need the wire length to be about an inch or less (for ease of soldering to the battery 10AWG wire).

My question is this: Is it OK to use the 22AWG wire because of the small length being used?

Thanks,
    Jack
    Some are reading this as you want to 1)replace the main connector on the battery, is this true? OR are you trying to 2) add an additional connector to the main battery leads?

If #1 Don't
    if #2 Don't , but rather add this additional lead from the ESC side of the connector. I have done this on a few crafts for similar reasons, either lights or video systems.
    Rusty
    NEFPV^

My Popwing Build : http://www.fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?22885-Nitroplanes-900mm-Popwing-build-logPopwing%20Build

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyincali View Post
    Overshoot unless he is custom wiring it as a standalone the full 12 amps that he said his motor and electronics draw will go through the wire.
    Good point. I might have miss read his question. I had assumed that he was going to parallel an existing power connector with the JST. Replacing the existing power connector with a common JST-RCY connector is a "No" long before you get to the wire gauge question - they are only rated for 3 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Channel 1 View Post
    Doesn't matter, if the amperage is there the gauge must match or else voltage drop sets in and will cause problems, odd intermittent problems which can result in a disaster.

Wayne
    Yes. You are right. I was responding, rightly or wrongly, under the assumption the OP wanted to add a connector for his Core PNP 25 and not replace the main battery connector.

In the end it is a It is a "both and" issue. Wire gauge and length are both factors.

It certainly is possible to get a problematic voltage drop by using even a short length of undersized wire. It is also possible to use a wire size that is adequate for short distances but produces a problem inducing voltage drop under load due to its length as the current requirements increase.

Paul
    Last edited by Overshoot; 5th August 2016 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overshoot View Post
    It certainly is possible to get a problematic voltage drop by using even a short length of undersized wire. It is also possible to use a wire size that is adequate for short distances but produces a problem inducing voltage drop under load due to its length as the current requirements increase.

Paul
    That's called Ohms law. ;-)

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12