Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: another FPV command post ( Trailer )

another FPV command post ( Trailer )

Thought I would start a build thread for the FPV trailer my Flying buddy Wargumby and I are working on. He was generous enough to buy the 6'X12' Wells cargo trailer for this endeavor. Not really trying to build a full realistic cockpit style trailer ( at least for now ) like some others have, This is more of a nice place to get in from the sun and mount a couple TV's and our gear, and enjoy some long range flying away from home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.JPG 
Views:	286 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	72277

First step was to remove one wall of the thin ply covering to we could mount a 15/32 sheet of good one side ply for mounting all the gear. Figured while we had the walls off we would throw some solid foam insulation in there to help keep it cool/warm. We will probably use the extra thin ply to insulate the ceiling. I have a element non-blue screen 32" TV coming this wed for my Main flying screen. Have Dom V2 for backup just in case signal gets REALLY bad and TV goes to black screen. Its the same TV that Flite test used on their indoor twin TV ground station.

Name:	image1(2).JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	72276

I got 4 fairly large SLA 12V Batts from work to power the stuff for now, maybe getting a pair of deep cycle RV batts later if these arent enough but they should be fine for now and the price was right. Not sure where we going to mount them. Wargumby wants to make a battery try under the floor with a hatch, I was thinking just throw them inside since there sealed. I got a 80A breaker for the main line off the batts and will run that into a distrobution fuse block somwhere on the main wall.

Name:	image1(3).JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	72278

Here is the first panel of thicker Ply for mounting the Tv's and other gear. Haven't figured out exactly how we are going to penetrate the trailer for antennas and what not. We will be using 12-13DB yagi's on crossfire for TX and He is currently on 1.2 with a pepperbox and or a 13.5db yagi. I am running 2.4 with a pepperbox, and 16db sectional panel antenna. I was thinking about getting a cheap ball head off amazon for mounting antennas as that would make it easy to aim them once we are setup. I have a 6' section of pan-duit on the way for cable management. Plan to run that floor to ceiling in the middle of the wall between the TV's.

Name:	image2(1).JPG 
Views:	236 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	72279

I am totally open to ideas as far as things we might be forgetting and ways to handle getting signal and video in/out of the trailer. I have been thinking about making a mount for a small mast to get antennas up higher, and we are planning to mount some LED white and red lights on the ceiling for regular and black out conditions.
    Last edited by slappomatt; 30th April 2016 at 09:13 PM.

Cool.....dont forget the Generator for the A/C

We each have generators and might bring one for a really hot summer trip but for now I think we will try to keep it simple for the most part. Wargumby has a couple inverters we will probably use for the TV's and the rest of the gear is all 12V.
    Last edited by slappomatt; 1st May 2016 at 06:35 PM.

What an exciting project!! I am following the thread!

Tv's are in, picked up the rest of the plywood and foam insulation for the walls and ceiling, got some exterior metal waterproof outlet covers to mount front and rear for the two antenna mast we will be using 10' 1' EMT, mounted uni-strut along the top edge to strap the emt to. Have the 1000watt inverter to hook into the batteries. Plan to make a 3D printed empty JR module with cat-7 that will run to a keystone jack right by our chairs, back of the jack will run to either of the two external cat5 jacks and then we will run cat7 from the external jack to the crossfire module mounted on the mast to a L-com 12db 900mhz yagi.

Looking good!!

A couple of years back I built one which allowed me to operate from within the trailer (with the A/C on) either FPV or extended LOS with FPV.

Name:	T_123.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	255.6 KB 
ID:	72391

Name:	T_127.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	258.3 KB 
ID:	72392

Name:	T_123.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	255.6 KB 
ID:	72391

Name:	T_128.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	72393

I have also over the years built a couple of remote broadcast vans, so I do have some experience doing such, so if I can be of any help just ask.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by slappomatt View Post
    Plan to make a 3D printed empty JR module with cat-7 that will run to a keystone jack right by our chairs, back of the jack will run to either of the two external cat5 jacks and then we will run cat7 from the external jack to the crossfire module mounted on the mast to a L-com 12db 900mhz yagi.
    If you are going to install CAT jacks exposed to the weather there are two real good ways to do so.

One is to use a Newtrek NE8FDY-C6-B panel connector weather sealed with a Newtrek SCCD-w.

http://www.neutrik.com/en/ethercon/cat6/ne8fdy-c6-b

http://www.neutrik.com/en/ethercon/e...ssories/sccd-w

The other is to use a surface mounted rain-tight 3 hole single gang box equipped with a duplex keystone mounting and covered with a Code-Keeper to protect the jacks from the weather.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bell-1-Ga...0-0B/204208007

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Red-Dot-1...rd=code+keeper

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

yeah we bought some of these covers from HD and plan to use Keystone jacks inside them along with RCA and probably a 2.1mm jack for power. I'll look into your subjection though. Damn nice trailer setup. I wish we could afford a telescoping mast

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bell-1-Ga...01-1/203597070
    Last edited by slappomatt; 6th May 2016 at 12:00 AM.

update, We got the first of 2 external connection points in, Used the above exterior jack cover with a 4 hole keystone insert and a single gang pvc handybox inside. will have 2 RJ45 and 2 RCA at each end of the trailer.

Name:	image1(5).jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	72418

Got most of the insulation in now, only have the front left to do, also got the wiring for the LED lights in white and dim Red for battle conditions.

Name:	image1(4).jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	270.8 KB 
ID:	72419

Have both TV's mounted and have some panduit up for the wiring. planning to make a 1' wide cubby that runs along the wall under the TV's for batter and inverter storage. If we go solar we can put the battery chargers in there as well.

Name:	image2(3).jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	72420

Also got the stainless switches installed just next to the TV by the door for the lights. Dont have a pic of that.

Quote Originally Posted by slappomatt View Post
    Have both TV's mounted and have some panduit up for the wiring. planning to make a 1' wide cubby that runs along the wall under the TV's for batter and inverter storage. If we go solar we can put the battery chargers in there as well.
    That is shaping up nicely.

Do keep in mind solar chargers like plenty of ventilation and batteries, even gel-cells should be vented to the exterior of the trailer.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast