Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: John Taylor's suit against FAA was dismissed?

Let your perspective soar
    That was great to hear. I hope we get to listen to the case more as it goes on.

I love how at the end they get to the reason for some laws came from 9/11, and how it's meant to prevent hijacking of full scale aircraft... and is now being applied to models. There's a lot of 'not because it makes sense, but because we think we can' coming from the FAA. The FAA seemed to justify the registration in terms of, "700,000 people have signed up." and avoided the questions of how that registration actually educates model pilots, or how it helps enforcement. They make the claims that they're educating and enforcing over and over, but both of those are false. The registration doesn't do any education, and anyone who is trying to cause trouble can easily remove the registration number from their fuselage.

or never put it on there to begin with....

someone on here a long time ago (forgot who) once said that 90% of the rules in aviation aren't there to protect you... they are there to assign blame when something goes wrong...
    Some fly for attitude, others for altitude

Curious why weight issue wasn't brought up, congress clearly set 55lb limit, yet FAA pulled 250g outta thin air. Having listened to a few gun cases where the state got beat up by judges in a similar manner during oral arguments, and then the ruling comes out for the state, I'm not exactly optimistic.

Mistake Discovery Artist
    Whats the best guess on when the next bit of news on this will come out?

Probably in a few months when the court's ruling is announced. No way of knowing when that will be though.
    ~Patrick M.

YouTube Channel: youtube.com/user/SerithianFPV

Colorado FPV Pilot and Flying Site Map: mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjYlxx5w300I.kmgDGKOhrMAo

The ruling just came out in this case. The appeals court struck down the registration requirement as applied to hobbyists because it directly violated the Congressional prohibition in Sec. 336. Score one for the good guys!

Forbes article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johngog.../#5a28c9ae4238
    Court Order: http://bit.ly/2qz1p5h
    Court Opinion: http://bit.ly/2q0tiAB

I just canceled my registration, and I'd encourage other hobbyists to do the same. (Note, commercial operators under 107 are still required to register, however.)
    ~Patrick M.

Colorado FPV Pilot and Flying Site Map: mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjYlxx5w300I.kmgDGKOhrMAo

Makes me feel good about never registering. I'm no lawyer but this was one instance where it seemed very obvious the FAA had no authority to do what they were doing. Glad the courts went our way.

Mistake Discovery Artist
    Quote Originally Posted by prelator View Post
    The ruling just came out in this case. ....

I just canceled my registration, and I'd encourage other hobbyists to do the same.
    Thanks for the update. I'm curious How you go about canceling your registration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Just login to the FAA's site and click the cancel link.
    ~Patrick M.

Quote Originally Posted by prelator View Post
    Just login to the FAA's site and click the cancel link.
    Just followed your lead and did that myself. Then I went to my shop and tore the little reg number stickers off my ships with entirely too much glee.
    Shut up and fly.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast