Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: TBS Vendetta - Tutorials & Support Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DroneRace View Post
    This is happening to us as well... did you find a solution?
    If this response is referring to Post #218, then, no, I have not found a solution (could you please confirm if you, too, are having these problems?). I have swapped motors, props, batteries, changed PID settings, and communicated with a number of individuals on RCGroups. I cannot find a solution. I have done a bunch more testing, and am beginning to wonder if it's a motor/ESC synch issue or just simply some PID/filtering settings that I do not know how to adjust properly. I should say that, when switching to the Lumenier 2206-2350 motors, the same problems arise, but to a much smaller degree; so, issue may not be specific to the Armattan Oomph motors. Those on RCGroups tend to think that it is the use of higher powered motors, in general, along with not adjusting the PIDs/Filters accordingly that is the issue. I would like to remain with Cleanflight and not switch over to Betaflight yet, which is what many on RCGroups also recommend doing. I have contacted TBS to no avail, and cannot get much for responses here or on RCGroups. One of the reasons I bought the Vendetta back in January of 2016 was because I noticed that Trappy and others would frequent this thread and help others out. By the time my Vendetta arrived just a few months back, it seems that this support has stopped.

Here is a post I made on RCGroups that shows some of my testing history ...

Ok. I did a series of more tests to further investigate the possibility that my quad issues with the new Armattan motors might be hardware based. My goal is to eliminate any hardware possibilities before delving into the word of software fixes. Moreover, I hope to further document the issues I'm facing in a way that allows others to better understand exactly what I am dealing with.

As a quick background/reminder, these are the issues I observed after first mounting my new Armattan 2206-2300 kv motors: 1) vibratory/oscillatory sounds during hover, 2) battery low voltage alarm going off despite charged lipos, 3) motors abnormally warm after just 20 seconds of flight or so (not too warm too touch, but definitely too warm, even with a smell of something heated up. Incidentally, although the motors have gotten warm on future tests, they definitely got the warmest the very first few test hovers I did with them--maybe they had to be broken in?).

Test 1
    Procedure = Removed props and spun each Armattan motor individually across throttle range using BLHeli. Felt motor arm for unusual vibrations.
    Result = No unusual/excessive vibrations noted.

Procedure = Repeated above test with Lumenier 2206-2350 kv motors to act as a control.
    Result = Motor vibration levels similar those from test of Armattan motors.

Test 2
    Procedure = Repeated both of the above tests with props on (I used the HQ 5x4.6x3 BN Durables that showed issues before)
    Result = No unusual/excessive vibrations noted.

Test 3
    Procedure = I performed Test 2 again, but with all propellers on and all motors running at the same time.
    Results = No unusual/excessive vibrations noted, but some vibrations definitely felt, especially at higher RPMs.

Test 4
    Procedure = I toggled all Armattan motors and Lumenier motors manually and spun manually to test for play or rough bearings.
    Results = One Armattan motor and one Lumenier motor had a miniscule amount of play. It is not believed that such a small amount of play could result in the issues previously observed, however. The Armattan motors definitely have more magnetic resistance to spin; this is likely simply due to the fact that the magnet-stator gap is much smaller than on the Lumenier motors, and maybe even the magnets are of a different type.

Test 5
    Procedure = Test hovered quad with Armattan motors using the following props (brand new but unbalanced, and all 5"): Racekraft 5x4.5x3 HBN, HQ 5x4.6x3 BN Durables, Dal Cyclones, HQ 5x4x3, Dal 5x4.6x3 BN Ultra thins, Dal 5x4.5x3 BN, and Dal 5x4x2 HBN.
    Results = Four of the props displayed the vibratory issue (from most to least): HQ Durables, Dal Ultra thins, and Dal BN. Of these three that had issues, all triggered the low voltage alarm during hover despite charged battery, with the worst offender being the Dal BN. The order of motor warmth after each test flight roughly paralleled this same order. The props that showed either no or hardly detectable vibration were the Racekraft, Dal Cyclones, HQ 5x4x3, and Dal 5x4x2 HBN.

Test 6
    Procedure = I chose one prop that showed no vibratory issue from Test 5 (Racekraft 5x4.5x3) and one prop that did show the vibratory issue (HQ 5x4.6x3 BN Durable) and balanced both of them carefully on a Du-bro Tru-Spin. I then test hovered with each motor, first the Armattan and then the Lumenier, using each of the props, and recorded the results. I used the same battery for all 4 flights, and it was fully charged the beginning (Tattu 1550 mAh 4s 75 C with about 30 flights on it).
    Results = I filmed this test, and recorded and amplified the sound of the motors. My hope is to provide you with the results and to allow you to interpret them without any bias from me (I provide a summary of the results at the end of the video for ease of analysis).

Thus, here is a video I put together for Test 6. I tried my best to make it at least a bit entertaining.

(2 min 57 sec)

Post #218 shows the settings/firmware of my TBS Vendetta.
    Last edited by AEMontoya; 14th January 2017 at 12:41 AM.

The prevailing opinion on RCGroups regarding the above testing is that I should lower P and D values on pitch and roll and possibly use some sort of D filter adjustment. And, if that didn't work, the suggestions were to switch to Betaflight, and flash a Vendetta-specific firmware edition. I'd like to stay with Cleanflight, though, since I am not sure of the complications involved in moving to Betaflight (e.g., I'm afraid I'll lose the Cleanflight stick commands and ability to change settings via TX and monitor in the field, among other concerns). Today, I spend about 3 hours changing PID settings, but could not find a solution. It could maybe be said that reducing pitch and roll P and D values may have helped slightly, but the difference seems negligible. Adjusting the D Term Cut Hz did not appear to help either (I tried values of 5, 40, 100, 120, and 170 and the most I accomplished were several out of control hovers and near crashes).

Navigator
    Dear all
    After some time of not using my vendetta, I upgraded it to betaflight 3.0.0 (vendetta). Now the rear status LED is always dark, although the 5V can be measured on the ws2812b LED. Does the LED stripes hasto become enabled again (how) or do I need to exchange the hardware?
    Thank you in advance for your reply and best regards, harzi
    ---

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by harzi View Post
    Dear all
    After some time of not using my vendetta, I upgraded it to betaflight 3.0.0 (vendetta). Now the rear status LED is always dark, although the 5V can be measured on the ws2812b LED. Does the LED stripes hasto become enabled again (how) or do I need to exchange the hardware?
    Thank you in advance for your reply and best regards, harzi
    ---
    Check this post
    http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....l=1#post824511

Try BF 3.1

New Vendetta owner, be gentle please. Set up the model as per directions using a Taranis/X4R SB. Taranis and rx are bound but no matter what else I do, the red LED on the FC and the beeper are going off constantly. I can use the controller to access the OSD and calibrated the RC inputs. I've gone round and round in the manual but must be missing something obvious. What should I check next?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoni View Post
    New Vendetta owner, be gentle please. Set up the model as per directions using a Taranis/X4R SB. Taranis and rx are bound but no matter what else I do, the red LED on the FC and the beeper are going off constantly. I can use the controller to access the OSD and calibrated the RC inputs. I've gone round and round in the manual but must be missing something obvious. What should I check next?
    You need to go over the basics first...

Connect to cleanflight/betaflight configurator (whatever your craft is running) with your battery plugged in and no props on

Go to the RX area, do you see all channels coming through to the craft? Is each channel on the correct channel #/type? (throttle is throttle, etc)

Now go to the modes area. Do you have ARM configured on a switch? How about Beeper? Get all that configured the way you want it.

Now, once you plug in your battery and turn on your remote, the craft should shut up (and be happily disarmed) until you arm. Now, it should beep regularly until you give it throttle and take off.

Quote Originally Posted by ryaske View Post
    You need to go over the basics first...

Connect to cleanflight/betaflight configurator (whatever your craft is running) with your battery plugged in and no props on

Go to the RX area, do you see all channels coming through to the craft? Is each channel on the correct channel #/type? (throttle is throttle, etc)

Now go to the modes area. Do you have ARM configured on a switch? How about Beeper? Get all that configured the way you want it.

Now, once you plug in your battery and turn on your remote, the craft should shut up (and be happily disarmed) until you arm. Now, it should beep regularly until you give it throttle and take off.
    First, I would update all the electronics. Simple to do in TBS agent.

Do the most correct Core Pro. I think it's 1.5.7. Could be higher. Then do 2.9 for the Colibri Race. Don't go higher on the Colibri yet as it's a bit more complicated.
    PS. Un-plug the beeper for now till you have it straightened out. (could drive one crazy otherwise)

I made another tutorial about updating the Vendetta CORE, Colibri Flight controller and Betaflight Setup plus some extra:

0:04 Open the TBS Vendetta
    0:26 Download & Install the TBS Agent firmware update software
    0:51 Update the TBS Core
    1:40 Update the TBS Colibri flight controller
    2:13 Install Betaflight Configurator App. Chrome required
    2:54 Connect to betaflight and finish the Colibri update by resetting the settings
    3:18 Configure the correct port and receiver settings, X4R in this video
    3:59 Quick overview of the Betaflight Settings
    4:54 Check the PIDs and Rates
    5:18 Set the receiver settings and assign the switches, flight modes, beeper etc.
    13:18 Re-assemble the TBS Vendetta
    13:45 Check the motor rotation
    14:56 Secure the antenna with zip tie and heat shrink tubes

That's an awesome VENDETTA tutorial video Oliver. That's going to help a lot of people get up and running quickly.

Thanks man, I just turned your nice PDF manual in video
    Last edited by Oliver Miami; 17th March 2017 at 07:53 PM.