Thread: Power Fatshark goggles and fan off 3s battery

Power Fatshark goggles and fan off 3s battery

Hello everyone, I am new to the forums and I am always intimidated about posting stuff up. This is my first post ever and hopefully I don't screw anything up, if so I apologize in advance.

So as far as I know, I have been running my fatsharks off an immersionrc powerbox. I was doing this before the face plate came out with the fan. I picked up a face plate with the fan and started using the fatshark battery to power the goggles and the fan.

Now I can use either the power box or fatshark battery to power the goggles and the fan. I had an old 12amp/5vBEC ESC laying around that I took off of one of my old builds and decided why not power the fan with the BEC part of the ESC. So here is my write up.

First I cut the heat shrink off of the ESC and removed the motor wires. (I used the power and ground to test my theory to make sure it worked, thats why I have those black connectors on there. So after testing it to make sure the fan didn't burn out, I decided to go forward with my plan.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4629.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	455.6 KB 
ID:	71335

I pulled apart the goggles and started by drilling a hole though both of the pieces of plastic to get the 2s balance wires through the hole. I drilled in at an angle so to keep as little wire exposed as possible. I used a pigtail so the one side was cut off, which allowed me to use a smaller drill bit for the hole.

Name:	IMG_4631.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	71336

I put the heat sink back on and used electrical tape to hold it in place. I then soldered the power and ground leads to the barrel plug of the fatsharks. This took a little bit with getting the iron around and not burning any other wires.

Name:	IMG_4632.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	241.7 KB 
ID:	71337 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4633.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	71338

Once I had the wires soldered, I routed the wires and reassembled the goggles. Not all the way so I can test it to make sure I didn't have to tear them apart again. I like to double check, I hate redoing things that I don't have to. The top two wires are coming from the balance plug, which I already plugged in. This way I was able to tell how much wire I could cut off to make it fit a little bit nicer.

Name:	IMG_4634.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	71339

I then figured out how much wired I needed and cut them to length and soldered them to the BEC part of the ESC.

Name:	IMG_4636.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	71340

I used some liquid electrical tape and covered all of the exposed parts of the board, and everyone loves hot glue. I hot glued the ESC into place so I would be able to put the door on and it wouldn't flop around.

Name:	IMG_4638.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	71341

And here is the final product. I think it turned over pretty nice over all.

Name:	IMG_4639.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	71342 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4640.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	71343

I don't see why you couldn't do it with a 5V Pololu step down and pretty much anything that has a BEC if you have an extra one laying around. But now I can plug my goggles right into my power box and be able to power the goggles and the fan with the barrel plug. Or if I'm not going to use the power box, I can just plug a battery into the goggles and use the goggles and the fan in the same manner.

Hopefully this helps out some people, and if not thanks for reading.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post

Hopefully this helps out some people, and if not thanks for reading.
    Ya, this helps me lots mate. If I ever wanted to power my faceplate fan separately (unlikely) I would just use a small 2s350-500mah pack, lol!

I don't know for sure but I would guess that your internally wired ubec may cause some video interference, certainly more than a separate battery would imho.

As long as it works well for you I guess that's the main thing.

Nice pics btw, and thanks for posting. Always useful to see other's ideas imho.